Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name Suggestion

I usually go with fairly un-original, or puny name that allow my online persona to be easily recognizable:

Frag, Fragalicious, Fragazon, Fragamancer, Fraggle_Rock, etc...

My penchant for alts and adding an "a" between "Frag" and "<bastardization of classname>" actually has coined me another name, Fraga, to a few friends!

A role-player at heart, I do on occasion make names that are more personalized to my toon. Those characters, interestingly enough, are typically more endearing to myself and played more often.

Cheers to nomenclature!
    ~Fraga

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    I see we were thinking along the same lines Sri. Considering Agamemnon's personality in The Iliad, and The Oresteia I would suspect he would consider Agamemnon to be his second name, first name King, and woe to the peon who forgot it. For those who haven't read the classics yet, Agamemnon is the bad guy in the movie Troy.
    He's the bad guy in the movie Troy? Weird. Normally it is the people from Troy that are considered the bad guys, not the Greeks. I believe because it was the leader of Troy that stole whatever her name was, (starts with an H), from the Greeks. Or I'm pretty sure it was.

Thanks
    Alkaidia

Her name was Helen. Paris of Troy stole Helen from Agamemnon's brother in Grece.

It is rather ironic that 3000 years ago Homer was able to write a story about a tragic conflict where both sides have their flaws and their moments of glory, then Hollywood comes along and makes it into something much more black and white with clear heroes and villains. I guess nobody ever accused a blockbuster of being art.

Did we all see the same movie?

I won't claim it did justice to the Iliad, but as I recall it certainly wasn't black-and-white. In fact, the point it endeavored to drive home was that both side were flawed, the war useless--or maybe that's just my propensity to identify with point-of-view characters, I don't know. In any event, Agamemnon has always been greedy and nasty and readers have generally liked both Greeks and Trojans.

Ahh ok. I had understood that they both had their flaws too, but normally it was the Greeks that were protrayed as the good guys. Thanks for clearing that up.

My sister is the only one in my family who has seen it but since she went with a bunch of classics students apparently it was more like a comedy for her. Though I understand it is a reasonably good movie if you don't know far to much about it like they did.

Thanks
    Alkaidia

Wow, you guys really side tracked my post, i was just wondering if anybody else thought this was a good enough suggestion to be put into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekreg45
    Wow, you guys really side tracked my post, i was just wondering if anybody else thought this was a good enough suggestion to be put into the game.
    Sorry.

I think it's a good idea but fourteen characters isn't that bad is it? I mean most names are no longer then six letters, (it is easy to find longer ones but I normally find that to be the case), and six plus six is twelve plus one for the space makes thirteen. But I definately agree that it could be made longer, like 20 characters or something.

Thanks
    Alkaidia

First name + nickname or City of Birth can be useful and possible historically accurate, as many ancient greeks were named after fathers/grandfathers.

http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources...reece/Male.htm
    http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources...ece/Female.htm

I can only think of Roman examples, like Pompey Strabo ('crosseyes', i think) and his son Magnus Pompey ('the great', a nickname he chose for himself).
    Or Julius Caesar (Gaius was his first name, I think Caesar was a nickmname meaning 'nice hair').
    Or Cicero (Marcus Tullius was his given name, but "Cicero" meant "chickpea" and was a reference to the funny growth on his nose)

So maybe a patch should include a way to allow online users to select a nickname for you

Quote Originally Posted by mlaird
    So maybe a patch should include a way to allow online users to select a nickname for you
    Hah! The Fraternity Patch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast