Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't kill Alastor as an Oracle

I can't kill Alastor as an Oracle

I have maxed Ternion and Nimbus, 1 Lich, 1 death nova, rest in masteries.

He simply drops his skeletons directly on top of me, then spams life leech.

I can't lifedrain him back, and neither can my lich. My lich dies really fast, so I spend most of the time kiting three or four packs of skeletons (I can't stop and AOE them to death, because I get chilled, and therefore instantly dead) waiting for lich to recharge as Alastor outheals any damage my lich and i deal to him.

Spellbreaker doesn't seem to stop lifeleeching.

I tried to respect ternion and nimbus into max thunderball and 1 point in chain lightining but to no avail, as i instantly run out of mana and have nothing to damage alastor with.

I'm really close to ragequitting. Any other ideas?

I have a necromancer staff but no other interesting gear

Undeads have 100% resistance to life leech and vitality damage i think. so you have to reduce their resistance first for life drain to work. You have to get your liche king to at least level 5 so he gets the soul blight ability, wich allows him to reduce resistance. You should also try to max necrosis from the death chill aura tree, it will greatly improve the effect of life drain versus undeads.

Obscured visibility from squall will also reduce all resistances. so its worth investing point in it also

Kiting is key, keep running in circles around him. At first it will be difficult to fire spells in between his attacks, but you will gradually start to learn his pattern and when there is a safe window.

The best spell for this strategy is squall, max it and it's upgrade. It will also increase the damage that spellbreaker does.
    There may be no 'I' in team, but there's a 'ME' if you look hard enough.
    Ħuʍop ǝpısdn sı sn ɟo ǝuo 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Olympian God
    You can kill him from the doorway using Squall alone. Cheese perhaps, but infinitely preferable to ragequitting. He won't even cast his skeletons, nor any other attack, until you pass through the doorway. He seems to know that he's being attacked, judging by his frantic running to and fro. He just doesn't know where it's coming from or what to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benitot View Post
    Undeads have 100% resistance to life leech and vitality damage i think. so you have to reduce their resistance first for life drain to work. You have to get your liche king to at least level 5
    That's what eventually saved me. Thanks.

I honestly just thought undeads can't be drained period.

The "immunities" in TQIT are handled with resistances, and it doesn't stop at 100% either. Since the devs put resistance reducing abilities, there are some enemies with 200, or even 300% resistance.

Take my vitality-damage Diviner, for instance. with Necrosis nerfing the undeads' resistance to vitality attacks, I kill them quite easily, but the Frost Traps, Blade traps, etc... all take 5 or 6 swings to take down... which says to me that the traps have much more vitality resistance than undeads - as all my physical-damage toons kill (trash) undeads and traps in one or two hits.

But Alastor is probably the tricksiest boss in Act 1, but with 40 or 50% cold resistance, maybe some energy leech resistance, and, if you are lucky, a Ritual amulet, he becomes a lot easier, when you can ignore his skellie backup and just smash his face.
    But, that will be for next time!
    Last edited by essjayehm; 07-04-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: onebigsentence

Olympian God
    The Shades also have ridiculous Vit resistance - as much or even more than the Traps. It takes my Diviner forever to kill those things with weapon hits. Luckily, she has DR/TR and DW/PI too. They're not quite so resistant to EBD.

What is vitality damage? My staff has a chance to hit enemies for 49% of their health, is that it?

Vitality damage is just a damage type, like physical, fire, cold, etc. It is resisted by Vitality resistance (secondary stat screen).

Weapons with the Dire/Dark prefixes, the ...of Terror or ... of Feasting suffixes have it listed in their bonuses, and your Life Drain skill does vitality damage as well.

Your staff has a health reduction effect. For normal (non-boss) enemies, the damage from this effect is resisted by Vitality resistance. Bosses do have vitality resistance, but also another resistance to health reduction effects, making them "double" immune to that effect.

Your necrosis skill will reduce the vitality resistance of all monsters, but you need the Liche King to use his Soul Blight to get any decent reduction in the bosses' "extra" resistance to your "chance to half the opponents' HP"

Decided to not create a new thread. Cleared act 2 without any problems, now in act 3.

My baseline build looks like this atm and will be ready in three levels or so.

After that, I'll go back to finish Ternion I suppose. What to level next? My main problem currently is fast monsters and being unable to really do anything whilst kiting them.

Any specific gear I should get? I farmed a staff of the falcon + a couple of random blues so nothing interesting here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast