Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noob questions

Traveler

noob questions

hi all, i'm a hunter in early 20s, haven't chosen a second mastery yet. building a mainstream pierce dmg-focused bow killer, I'm torn between bone charmer and brigand. some questions:

- which build is less energy-hungry and/or does not stretch my attributes too thin?

- in the long term, what secondary skills are the best in terms of synergising with bows? melee? poison? trap? aura?

- i'm in act 2 and only found 2 epic bows so far (turquoise and cyprus). is that slow or something? how and where can i find more?

- offensive ability applies to melee only hence it's totally worthless for me - true or false?

- not build related - do the unofficial patches alter hunter skills/mechanics in any significant ways?

thanks for your time, folks.

Olympian God Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
    I would think a bone charmer might be better for you. I think it would be less energy hungry (a problem with all hunting toons) and also there's an excellent Bown Charmer guide that Irma2 did recently which you'll find a bit further down this thread list.

Don't think you're particularly slow in finding Epic bows. Might find more around Memphis and the tombs beyond Thebes as there are quite a few foes to tackle in these areas.

As far as I know Offensive Ability applies to both melee and ranged. Can't think why ranged should be excluded.

No, the unofficial fanpatch available here doesn't alter any of the mastery skills significantly that I know of, it's more to fix those things that don't work properly. For instance, if you go with the Bone Charmer build then you'll need the fanpatch because Spirit's Ravages of Time skill doesn't work without it. Also there are some items in the game that don't drop unless you have the fanpatch.

Olympian God Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
    I would think a bone charmer might be better for you. I think it would be less energy hungry (a problem with all hunting toons) and also there's an excellent Bown Charmer guide that Irma2 did recently which you'll find a bit further down this thread list.

Don't think you're particularly slow in finding Epic bows. Might find more around Memphis and the tombs beyond Thebes as there are quite a few foes to tackle in these areas.

As far as I know Offensive Ability applies to both melee and ranged. Can't think why ranged should be excluded.

No, the unofficial fanpatch available here doesn't alter any of the mastery skills significantly that I know of, it's more to fix those things that don't work properly. For instance, if you go with the Bone Charmer build then you'll need the fanpatch because Spirit's Ravages of Time skill doesn't work without it. Also there are some items in the game that don't drop unless you have the fanpatch.

Olympian God
    Bone Charmer is less energy hungry. Or, to put it another way, it gets more energy to cope with demand. Brig gets more appropriate attributes. If you favour using 2X Apollo's Will, your Str will really be stretched on a Bone Charmer. Brig at least can get by due to Rogue's Str.

For both Bone Charmer and Brig, melee is probably the best secondary option. Brig requires more points as you need Calculated Strike and Lethal Strike, Bone Charmer just needs Take Down. Traps are also an option especially for Brig. Knives are fairly useless if you're shooting with a bow anyway.

You don't need blue bows at all. Rush to Act IV and farm Soronis for Bramblewoods. Until you get there, look for dual affix greens and socket with either Achilles or Artemis.

OA doesn't apply to any ranged attacks or spells, only melee.

The patch hasn't changed anything in Hunting.

Traveler
    Ok, will grab the patches asap. On bone charmer, the best secondary skills are aura and liche that help me crowd control, right? And by my exp in playing an oracle, they don't feel too effective? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

(Btw this forum has a mobile version, neat :-) )

Traveler
    Ok, will grab the patches asap. On bone charmer, the best secondary skills are aura and liche that help me crowd control, right? And by my exp in playing an oracle, they don't feel too effective? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

(Btw this forum has a mobile version, neat :-) )

Traveler
    Yea, I thought I read somewhere around here that oa doesn't work for ranged attack. So what's the point of bow having oa boost??

Olympian God
    I think bows were originally intended to use OA but the devs changed their minds. You can even get staves with OA bonus. The problem is then that mages would have to invest heavily in Dex to get their OA up, which would rob them of Int.

It seems to be a common mechanic in RPGs. I just played Dragon Age: Origins for a couple of days before it became tedious, and it has the exact same mechanic. Staves don't use Dex/Attack and don't crit.

I'm not sure why you feel that Deathchill Aura and the Liche King aren't effective. You don't like an aura that slows and damages everything around you, gives you rare physical damage resistance and allows you to leech life off everything, even Undeads and Constructs/Traps?

As for the effectiveness of the Liche King, have a look at my Bown Charmer taking down Hydra. The single most significant moment of that fight is the Liche King's Soul Blight (pink blob) hitting the Hydra early in the fight. That sets up my Take Down which finishes it off.

My daughter got me Dragon Age Ultimate Edition for my 82nd birthday. Irma2 you are are right it is tedious. I made my character look like an old man with long gray beard and hair. I died laughing when one of the characters introduced me as his son. He looked about 25 or 30. Just not enough action, but then it is a rpg not a arpg. I may try it again later.
    Hunters do suck up energy.
    I'm playing a magician, sorcerer, avenger and sage at the moment. All in act 3 Normal at the moment. My indevors at the moment are sorcerer and magician, both leaning on knives. Kinda scary.
    Sorry I got off thread just saw Irma2's post and felt the same way.

Welcome Elyx ! I too would recommend the bone charmer if dealing with energy demands is a sore point for you. Brigand is a great character, but you really do need to either keep a few jewelry pieces that accelerate energy regen for swapping in as needed, or socket one of your rings with a hecate's crescent. It seems a little wasteful to me to keep the Hecate's jewelry on full time, but some folks don't like switching out jewelry....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast