Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Graphics Engine problem: WIN7 64-bit, TQIT fails but TQ runs

Graphics Engine problem: WIN7 64-bit, TQIT fails but TQ runs

This is a weird one. I can see lots of reports of this issue but want to check my own repro vs forum data.

I have TQ Gold from Steam. On one home machine all runs fine, on second machine TQ runs fine but TQIT will not start. It stops claiming the graphics card is not up to spec. Since this machine runs Skyrim on high reasonably well, that is confusing to me. The graphics board is Radeon HD 6800, the machine where all works fine is HD 6900 - both well above the recommended spec.

Any ideas? I've ordered physical media version from Amazon to see if that works better, but am not hopeful.

Here's an interesting PS. In the working machine, the mobo has no onboard graphics. In the failing machine, there is Intel graphics support onboard. I have disabled this in Device Manager but wonder if TQIT is erroneously looking at that when performing some startup check? Does TQIT do extra checking for graphics capabilities over what TQ would do? Any way to tell TQIT explicitly to use the Radeon card?
    Last edited by SteveTownsend; 04-15-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: More info

a friend had the exact same problem but all he had to do was uninstall it and reinstall it and it worked, not sure if it'll work for you

also you may have to sign out of steam on one computer before signing in on another as ive had few issues with games having problems when ive had steam logged in on multiple computers
    _"but i have promises to keep, and miles to go before i sleep-Robert Frost"_
    The bird of hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
    Trader Dialogue [Completed]
    Compiled list of valuable information (please look here before posting new thread with a question)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare14 View Post
    a friend had the exact same problem but all he had to do was uninstall it and reinstall it and it worked, not sure if it'll work for you

also you may have to sign out of steam on one computer before signing in on another as ive had few issues with games having problems when ive had steam logged in on multiple computers
    Thanks for this.

I've installed/reinstalled TQIT in Steam, and separately tried signing off and on from Steam, but that did not help. I do also see TQIT tell me that TQ is not installed on this machine, but on the next run this works and I get back to the graphics fail.

I will see if there is a jumper on the mobo to disable its onboard graphics, to try to rule that out as a cause. I'll also report back on results when the physical media arrive in case this is a Steam-specific issue.
    Last edited by SteveTownsend; 04-16-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Fix errors

I disabled the onboard graphics but the problem remains.

The physical media arrived today and TQIT is now up and running. My 9-year-old daughter (it's her PC) is very happy to have Auto-Sort etc! So I guess this is something that's in the Steam edition that's not on the (older?) CD.

Glad to hear you fixed it. Your daughter is very lucky to have a game-minded parent
    There may be no 'I' in team, but there's a 'ME' if you look hard enough.
    Ħuʍop ǝpısdn sı sn ɟo ǝuo 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

good to hear you got it up and running again hope you and your daughter enjoy this game
    _"but i have promises to keep, and miles to go before i sleep-Robert Frost"_
    The bird of hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
    Trader Dialogue [Completed]
    Compiled list of valuable information (please look here before posting new thread with a question)