Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [in progress] melee diviner guide

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare14 View Post
    yeah thats what im gonna do deffboy

main reason im making the guide is not only to help the forum but also so that i have reason to not twink my characters, ive gotten bored of doing that but i cant stop unless i have a specific reason to dont know why though lol

so yeah this is the perfect way to make a charatcer without twinking cos now i have reason to not twink

and i dont use those programs only thing i use is vault and defiler, the defiler is pretty much just to show damage freeze time of day and for that super flying bodies mod just for laughs

also do you guys think alright if i make this guide using xmax mod or should i just make it using the vanila tq
    Imo Nightmare14, it really doesn't matter whether you develop the guide using Xmax or vanilla TQ. After all, you can write it primarily from either viewpoint, and then add notes periodically like, "If you're using Xmax, your character will probably be around lvl XX now, and I'd recommend spending the "extra" skill points like this:...." Or vice versa hehe .

@ Medea -- Yep, I guess I could have worded my post a bit better in regards to "self-found" vs "twinking." I suppose what I meant was that some guides tell you to use an item found only in Legendary and stick it on your Normal toon in order for the build to "work properly." I don't have a problem with people twinking items found by other toons--I used to do that and I actually enjoyed doing it because it gave me something to look forward to when, for example, my up-and-coming Hunter reached lvl 18 and could finally use that lvl 18-requirement bow, you know? I think my intent here in regards to this guide was to recommend items of appropriate character level--gear a toon at a given level could reasonably be expected to find/farm/shop, you know? That way that style of twinking doesn't result in an insanely overpowered toon. So, my point was that I don't like to see guides that recommend Batrachos Greaves, Homados, Ferrus Gnosi, Wyrmskin Harness or some ridiculous MI that can only be found in ShopMI or something. But if a person has some appropriate gear in the Vault, I'm not against that person using it.

I've got a lvl 63 Ternion ...of Harrowing Diviner ala Poinas' "Pwning with Spirit" guide. He recommends Visor of the Shadowlord, for example, but I've never found it. I understand why he recommends it, but it's just never dropped for that toon (or for any of my other toons, for that matter). So, it makes it a bit difficult to follow a guide to the letter if the gear requirements are such that they include items that are difficult to find. My Diviner makes due without VotS, but I'll always wonder how that toon would fare if she actually found it (actually, she wouldn't be able to use it anyway due to the STR requirement--I decided early on to forsake STR and focus on DEX for that toon because I'd never had that item drop for any of my other toons, so it was "rare" to me).

Anyway, I have no problem with folks who like to share items among their toons.

i understand what you mean deffboy as i said this guide is gonna be just what i find with the character
    _"but i have promises to keep, and miles to go before i sleep-Robert Frost"_
    The bird of hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
    Trader Dialogue [Completed]
    Compiled list of valuable information (please look here before posting new thread with a question)

Looking forward to it, buddy!

hahaha cool

as ive said its gonna be coming along slowly though lol
    Compiled list of valuable information (please look here before posting new thread with a question)

Olympian God Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
    Not a problem defboy99. I know a lot of people like to play with only items they find along the way and obviously when you've just started out you don't have anything else but what you find/buy as you go along. The main thing is to have an idea of what items could be useful for a build that you can find/shop for at lower levels, rather than all the fancy stuff right at the end.

I've got the same problem with my Poinas' Pwning with Spirit toon as I've only got about half of what is recommended. Still, she's a long way from the finish so hopefully by the time she gets there I'll have found a few more items.

Nightmare14, take your time and do it right. No point in rushing a guide just to get it out there. Especially if you need to take some time for yourself. Do that and then come back refreshed and ready to get to work.

hahaha yeah ill do that
    homework and crap i gotta do in between playing -.- lol
    as well as the problem of usually i get bored of a character after completing normal with it so itll be while before i come back to play epic and legendary a charatcer usually :/ but yeah ill try to get this guide out as fast as i can lol

ill post the bits i get done here and then when its totally complete ill put it all together in a new fresh thread

Olympian God
    Just a thought but imo a guide should start off with an overview of what the build does, what it excels at and why the reader should consider playing one. When I wrote my Bown Charmer guide, I was aware that a lot of people hadn't tried Bone Charmers because they could see no synergy between the two classes. Hunting is a Str/Dex and physical/piercing mastery, Spirit is an Int and Vitality damage/health reduction mastery. In their view, the two masteries don't 'fit' together. So I spent some time outlining that Spirit might not boost Hunting's pierce or physical damage, but it plugs a lot of holes by providing things that Hunting doesn't get.

Str/Dex melee Diviner isn't an intuitive choice for a new player. Dream provides no Dex and Spirit provides no Str. So why should the reader try a melee Diviner when he can take two masteries - like Warfare and Defense - which both provide Str and Dex?

I hear you that "there are many ways to play Diviner, this is just my preferred way". But why is it your preferred way? Is it a great boss killer/farmer? Is it very survivable in zero death Xmax challenges? Is it not gear-dependent and can finish Legendary easily without needing rare purples or MIs? We need to know not just how you play Diviner but also why you play it the way that you do. When you establish that premise, it helps to sell people on the idea of trying one.

i cant really answer all of that cos this is first time ive done a melee diviner ive done Poinas style diviner but yeah this is my first melee diviner so im making this guide as im playing the character lol

but when i finish playing the character and finish the stratergy and how to spend points when leveling up ill follow your suggest Irma

just added in an overview irma is that the sorta thing your talking bout?

and ive added and removed some stuff as that level 10to 20 part was just a plan wasnt meant to post that part lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast