Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Choices...

Choices...

Wow, Nature's actually a cool Mastery. Anyway, my Champion is Level 11, do you guys think I should max Wolves (10 points in them currently), or make my way through the Mastery? Thanks!
    Need Side Quest Help? Click me!
    'Crooked banks around the world will gladly give a loan today; so if you ever miss a payment they can take your home away'
    -Lupe Fiasco
    ----------------------------------End Of Line----------------------------------

Olympian God
    When you get to the end of Act I or some way into Act II, I'd sell all the points in them and concentrate on Warfare for the rest of Normal. Other than maxing out Nature for the attribs, I'd invest only one point in it - Heart of Oak for the +% Total Speed bonus. The Wolves only become useful in Epic imo.

You could also focus on Plague in Normal, it's very useful. But unfortunately Warfare is a very points-hungry mastery, especially when you're dual-wielding (as a Champion should). So I'd again leave Plague until Epic.

Olympian God Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
    There's not really a lot of point in maxing the base skill unless you have enough +skills items to get it up to 18 points, when you can then call up yet a third wolf - 7 points gives you 2 wolves. Maxing synergies would be better for survivability. A lot of players say pets don't do that well later in Acts 3 and 4 Normal so advise waiting until Epic to invest, while others say they do fine. I've never taken a pet based toon that far so I can't say either way.

I always think it's best to climb masteries for the boost in attributes they give you. I usually put a point in each skill I want to use along the way until they're both maxed and then start maxing out my primary mastery skills first, only then followed by the rest. So if you're mainly Warfare with Nature as backup then I'd max Warfare skills first as they're the ones I need most.

Olympian God
    I'd also usually climb the masteries although, in Warfare's case, there are some exceptions to the one-point rule. Onslaught base skill, Weapon Training and Battle Standard are all worth more than a point, even if you haven't finished the mastery yet.

Onslaught is the only one I'd max before hitting 32 in Warfare, but I'd certainly want 4 or 5 points in both Weapon Training and Battle Standard right after maxing out the mastery, if not before.

Yes, I definitely try and get Onslaught maxed fairly quickly if I can. It's one of the few base skills where it's worth doing so. I'm not so fast in getting Weapon Training maxed, although perversely Armour Handling is one I get done early when playing Defense. For some strange reason I never feel the need to max Weapon Training as fast, brain failure there I guess.

Have only recently had the fanpatch installed so haven't really used Battle Standard much yet, but it's proving useful for some bosses with my Conqueror. Triumph already maxed, but not the base skill yet.

ok i removed all 10 points from the wolves and put it all in the warfare mastery, now its at level 10 and my str and dec are much higher, wielding a better weapon and all. I have a point in heart of oak and two points in regrowth. i think I'm gonna just keep on putting points into the masteries and then focus on the skills. thanks guys!
    Need Side Quest Help? Click me!
    'Crooked banks around the world will gladly give a loan today; so if you ever miss a payment they can take your home away'
    -Lupe Fiasco
    ----------------------------------End Of Line----------------------------------

Yes, it's a trap a lot of newer players can fall into, thinking that maxing out the lower skills is better than getting up the masteries early in the game.

There's no reason not to have enough points for 2 wolves if you want them now, and then buy back later, but you should get through normal pretty well without them. You need the boosts to your attributes that climbing the masteries gives you, otherwise you will struggle to be able to use the better weapons/gear. With Onslaught available to you, a point in that and the others to the masteries will slowly increase both your damage output and general survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer View Post
    A lot of players say pets don't do that well later in Acts 3 and 4 Normal so advise waiting until Epic to invest, while others say they do fine.
    From my own experience I can tell, that a pet based toon can easily go through normal act 3 and typhon with 3 wolves, a nymph and a core dweller without any problems at all. I Don't know how it goes through act 4, I haven't played expansion yet.

i usually max wolves out asap mainly cos i make sure i can use my SBC and my amulet that gives +1 to nature skills so i can have 3 wolves but then again im quiet a heavy pet user and can get my wolves to survive through act 4 and most of the time get 1 or 2 to survive typhoonit really depends whether you wanna be a petmancer champion or a champion supported by the wolves, personally i have gone with a champion petmancer which ive completed legendary with
    _"but i have promises to keep, and miles to go before i sleep-Robert Frost"_
    The bird of hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
    Trader Dialogue [Completed]
    Compiled list of valuable information (please look here before posting new thread with a question)