Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about skills

Quote Originally Posted by Violos View Post
    Did you list the new skill in one of the mastery skill trees? The ingameUI part is only for the icons...

The templates should be from IT. I don't remember changing them.
    At least it would not be necessary with the way it finally works.

Also make sure that you get the pets' AI files. They are important.
    Hi,
    I did everything you said but still cannot get it to work . I understand mechanics of this spell that way: i summon pet telepet1.dbr which dies and summons monster telepet2.dbr. This monster is supposed to use "skill_attackspellteleport" which should teleport my toon to his position. Unfortunately, i think it isn't triggered. How does monster telepet2 know who to attack? There is only one AI file controller_telepet.dbr used by previous summoned pet.Please help

Cheers

How does monster telepet2 know who to attack?
    That was indeed the real challenge with making that skill work.

If it works/summons correctly to this point (see if it randomly swaps allies/pets/guards if you give it another agressive pet AI) you probably missed the hidden telepet_angerer skill mod, which is also in the Sorc tree.

Yeah that was it. Thanks for help i have finally understood how it works. The "angerer" is a projectile spawned at monsters location, so they attack player instantly after spawn. You have such brilliant ideas for making skills so they bring new mechanics to the game which i enjoy a lot. I wish yet to ask you several questions:
    1. is it possible to lengthen teleport range?
    2. how to give a projectile exact weapon damage (spear toss etc.) ?
    3. is it possible to increase bow's projectile range(normal attacks or modified ones) ?

Quote Originally Posted by darknovismc View Post
    You have such brilliant ideas for making skills so they bring new mechanics to the game
    It's simply what I enjoy doing the most, making genuinely new stuff.
    What mod are you working on, btw?

1. is it possible to lengthen teleport range?
    You can increase the range of the initial summon, or shift-click. The AI's sense range is already quite large.
    The teleport is more likely to malfunction at very long distances, though, so I made the standard range a little shorter.

2. how to give a projectile exact weapon damage (spear toss etc.) ?
    Only by having a real weapon.
    You can give magical projectiles the ability to carry weapon effects ("use all damage") but they will always be an inferior substitute to real weapons, and cannot be made to use strength.

3. is it possible to increase bow's projectile range(normal attacks or modified ones) ?
    You can set the range in the projectile's dbr.
    Though increasing the speed also increases the range, because it seems the projectile itself only knows speed and lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Violos View Post
    What mod are you working on, btw?
    I really liked Lilith mod and was playing it with 'Masteries' mod which is utterly unbalanced IMHO. So I decided to alter skills to make game more interesting.

Yeah.
    Masteries was an awesome achievement compared to what was there before (which was basically nothing) but obviously lacking in the whole balance/scaling area.

In fact, though that sounds worse than I mean it, it served as my best source for mistakes to avoid. And opened my eyes to the fact that all those things really have to be planned beforehand, when it became clear (through the failed "mastery balancing project") how hard and it is to fix them later.

That is why I my one advice to every modder in a creative rush would be to also think about those "boring" parts while creating stuff. Otrherwise you do run the risk of "painting yourself into a corner" where changed numbers on individual skills may not be able to solve the problem.

Yeah.
    Masteries was an awesome achievement compared to what was there before (which was basically nothing) but obviously lacking in the whole balance/scaling area.

In fact, though that sounds worse than I mean it, it served as my best source for past mistakes to avoid. And opened my eyes to the fact that all those things really have to be planned beforehand, when it became clear (through the failed "Masteries balancing project") how hard it is to fix them later.

That is why I my one advice to every modder in a creative rush would be to also think about those "boring" parts while creating stuff. Otrherwise you do run the risk of "painting yourself into a corner" where changed numbers on individual skills may not be able to solve the problem.

Further queries about how necro skills are working:

Even though Amplify Damage lowers damage resistance, I don't think it is improving the impact damage of Bone Spear or Corpse Explosion. At least judging by the "show all damage," the numbers don't increase (well Bone Spear does some because of the magical damage). But, I noticed most DoT doesn't show up anyway. Could this be what's happening, since impact is DoT?

Also, if I understand Bone Spear's "carries equipment effects" correctly, should I be able to increase its damage if I enchant my staff with charms like Poison Sac or Yen Lo Wang's Bloodletting?
    Last edited by flix; 04-18-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flix View Post
    judging by the "show all damage," the numbers don't increase
    Yeah, it does not show any DOT.
    But since all other DOTs are resisted by the same resistances as the respective direct damage types, lowering physical resistance ought to increase Impact's effect.
    I think I tested this at some point to confirm.

should I be able to increase its damage if I enchant my staff with charms like Poison Sac or Yen Lo Wang's Bloodletting?
    No - because weapon bonuses are the only thing not carried by spells.
    You need to have them on other equipment, or buffs like Enchant or Venom.
    Last edited by Violos; 04-20-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12