Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Latest PC Gamer Magazine Top 100 PC Games of All-Time

@ Foz (again) -- By the way, Curse of Monkey Island was ranked #27 on the PC Gamer list.

@ Laurrrr (again) -- Yes, I think PC Gamer should rename this list. There's no way it's the Top 100 of All-Time. They even admit that they didn't choose classic older games because they want people to play all the newer games they listed. Call it Top 100 We Want To Promote Right This Very Minute According To The 18 People Who Created This Completely Subjective List...Of All-Time.
    Last edited by defboy99; 01-28-2012 at 04:33 AM.

They even admit that they didn't choose classic older games because they want people to play all the newer games they listed. Call it Top 100 We Want To Promote Right This Very Minute According To The 18 People Who Created This Completely Subjective List...Of All-Time.
    Indeed. Instead of new gamers playing old games to find out where it started and all, they will play Call of Duty and become like the rest of retards who consider Activision their god and would suck Bobby Kottick's ****. I didn't played that much old games like you and Fozzie did but I am well informed about how things are rolling in the industry atm and what's good and bad taste in games. And thanks to the old games like Planescape Torment and Sanitarium, I really got myself into philosophy and that kind of things.
    The Book thread
    The Poetry thread

"The Zone wants to be respected. Otherwise it will punish."
    "It is so quiet out here, it is the quietest place in the world."

@ Laurrrr -- I'm not at all familiar with Sanitarium, but I've played Planescape: Torment. What a thought-provoking experience that was...

And yes, my 10-year-old nephew has Modern Warfare 3 and he thinks it's the end-all, be-all of games. I've watched him play it and there's just nothing there that resonates with me. (Plus, I don't know why his parents allow a 10-year-old kid to play a game like that in the first place.) Seems like, given the choice between a deeply provocative classic game and a sparkly, shiny, empty new game, the kid will always choose the latter. I think games can do more than merely entertain, as you alluded to when talking about Sanitarium and Planescape: Torment, and personally, I enjoy games that make me think and perhaps push me out of my comfort zone in regards to my personal beliefs, things I hold dear, etc. I may not agree with everything a "controversial" game has to say, but it's good to think about things from alternate perspectives. (However, sometimes just killin' stuff is good, too...which is why I enjoy ARPGs.)
    Last edited by defboy99; 01-28-2012 at 08:11 AM.

This list is sad.... Ive played most of the games and usually 2 days after buying them i felt bad for ever spending money on them. Altough there are some games today that i do like (DA series for example), older games have a better gameplay. I really can't understand why kids my age are so darn addicted to bs like COD MW3 and BF3. I can't find playing "capture the flag and shoot other dudes" 1000 times a day in a row enterteining. I really wish more games today could ditch the graphics a bit, and invest more in better gameplay and more content. i don't give a damn about how the game looks, i just want a good game to play that will give me a good time playing it and not to feel like a total idiot after buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by defboy99 View Post
    @ Laurrrr (again) -- Yes, I think PC Gamer should rename this list. There's no way it's the Top 100 of All-Time. They even admit that they didn't choose classic older games because they want people to play all the newer games they listed. Call it Top 100 We Want To Promote Right This Very Minute According To The 18 People Who Created This Completely Subjective List...Of All-Time.
    thats pretty much what i said in my comment the "top 100 games of all time" list is pretty much nothing more then extra marketing for new games except they chuck in some old games to try and stop people from reading too much into the list
    _"but i have promises to keep, and miles to go before i sleep-Robert Frost"_
    The bird of hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
    Trader Dialogue [Completed]
    Compiled list of valuable information (please look here before posting new thread with a question)

Quote Originally Posted by defboy99 View Post
    @ Laurrrr -- I'm not at all familiar with Sanitarium, but I've played Planescape: Torment. What a though-provoking experience that was...

And yes, my 10-year-old nephew has Modern Warfare 3 and he thinks it's the end-all, be-all of games. I've watched him play it and there's just nothing there that resonates with me. (Plus, I don't know why his parents allow a 10-year-old kid to play a game like that in the first place.) Seems like, given the choice between a deeply provocative classic game and a sparkly, shiny, empty new game, the kid will always choose the latter. I think games can do more than merely entertain, as you alluded to when talking about Sanitarium and Planescape: Torment, and personally, I enjoy games that make me think and perhaps push me out of my comfort zone in regards to my personal beliefs, things I hold dear, etc. I may not agree with everything a "controversial" game has to say, but it's good to think about things from alternate perspectives. (However, sometimes just killin' stuff is good, too...which is why I enjoy ARPGs.)
    Now, let's be honest defboy, I don't see how a 10-13(heck even 14-18 since lots of people this age are idiots IF I am allowed to generalize) can possibly understand immortality and it's deeper meaning. But at least they can play something lighter like NWN or Warcraft or whatever else that requires you to think and not shoot man with gun.

Plus, I don't know why his parents allow a 10-year-old kid to play a game like that in the first place.
    I think it depends on the kid. I for one played lots of violent games when I was a kid and that's how I became the sociopath I am today. Now, I didn't grab a shotgun and go in a killing spree with it but I can't say I am a peaceful person at all. By that I mean there are people who will react differently on games and discussing it it's like discussing religion. Pointless.
    The Book thread
    The Poetry thread

"The Zone wants to be respected. Otherwise it will punish."
    "It is so quiet out here, it is the quietest place in the world."

@ Laurrrr -- Oh, definitely some young people have a better grasp of "higher concepts" than others, and some young people can certainly understand things like religion or morality or mortality or right/wrong better than others. It's totally dependent upon the maturity level/intelligence of the young person in question. So yes, I was being completely honest when I said that about violent games. One thing I do know is that violence can desensitize people over time, and its effects on children have been well-documented. I'd rather see my 10-year-old nephew playing games aimed at 10-year-olds and watching tv shows/movies aimed at kids rather than playing violent shooters online with adults/older kids of questionable integrity and watching violent, R-rated movies. You must understand my point-of-view: I'm 48 years old. I'm looking at this stuff from the eyes and mind of someone who's been around the block a few times and has enough life experience to worry about what my nephew experiences (and the consequences) when he's glued to MW3 head-shotting online foes or neck-stabbing guys in Black Ops for hours at a time. It definitely affects the behavior of some kids, while some others are seemingly unaffected. I want him to be a kid while he's a kid, you know? Life gets hard enough when you become a teenager and an adult. So, that's my lament regarding my nephew.

As for teens/kids in general being idiots, well, some of 'em are, some of 'em aren't. I certainly see your point and agree with it. I was a kid/teen once. I have several nephews/nieces. I also coached youth sports for six years. So, I've been around kids all my life. They vary in intelligence/maturity just as much as adults do, in my experience. It requires patience to deal with the problematic ones, but it's a joy when you come across a young person who is intelligent and perceptive and well-read and well-mannered and respectful and has a good head on his shoulders, and I can honestly say I've come across plenty of those kids/teens in my 48 years. So, it's not all bad, I reckon.

But yeah, discussions on stuff like this can be very dogmatic and polarizing and pointless, as you said. But I look at it from an uncle's perspective, and I would prefer my nephew play lighter fare, as you mentioned, rather than realistically violent shooters at age 10. It's not beneficial for him and it's sad that his parents allow him to be exposed to stuff like that. If may be fun for him, but parents need to be in charge and make wise choices for their kids because 10-year-old kids are notorious for making poor choices.

Anyway, as always, Laurrrr, good points in your post.
    Last edited by defboy99; 01-29-2012 at 12:32 AM.

So... back to the games on the list.... what were the one's that really surprised you? I mean, I've played a lot of games over the years, and there were some on there that I really don't get... not because they are new, but because I really never considered (or knew) them to be good games...

For instance:

#99 - Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath... I know nothing of this game
    #96 - Star Trek: A Final Unity - I'm a Trek fan, but I can't say I was ever a fan of this game...
    #88 - Star Wars Combine - Again, never heard of it... and it's been around for 15 years?

Now I've got some quibbles about the placing of some games... but i can see how most of the others would be recommended games... I was also pleasantly surprised to see some games like The Last Express, Arcanum, TQ, MechCommander, Psychonauts, and Mount & Blade on the list - all games more people should / should have taken more notice of years ago...

*mumble* *mumble* "Terraria" *mumble* *mumble*
    Acer Aspire M7200 - AMD Quad Core 2.55, 8gb RAM, XFX HD7770 Black DD, 640gb HDD, Win7 64bit.

Even though I've never played Terraria, I've heard such great things about it. Minecraft was ranked #19. You'd think Terraria would have at least cracked the Top 100.

As for surprises, I have to go with what was left off the list: Baldur's Gate II, as mentioned in previous posts by myself and Fozzie. That's ludicrous. But regarding games listed that "bothered" me, I have to go back to the preponderance of new games. Maybe it's just me (being an old fart and all), but I think there's something to be said for paying one's dues, earning one's accolades, and I don't think a game that's been out for one month (SW:ToR) can possibly have earned the right to be on this list (even at #42). Thirty of the Top 100 have release dates of 2010 or later. I'm interested in finding out how many of these new games will be on the Top 100 list next year or even five years from now. The pollsters said they ignored nostalgia, but nostalgia isn't what comes to my mind when I play incredible games that may be a few years old. Rather, I look for timeless quality that makes a game stay in your mind long after you've finished playing it. I've certainly played my share of forgettable games, unfortunately, but to ignore older classics because they're not "loud and shiny" enough for the youth of today is ridiculous. So, yeah, I was more surprised by the omissions.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast