Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is STR needed for mage gear

Why is STR needed for mage gear

Date Posted: 1/6/2012 9:06:PM

I am doing a pure mage build (earth/spirit) so I'm putting all my atttibute points into INT, when I find gear that is "of insight" and it gives a +INT bonus, it requires STR to equip it, makes no sense that I gotta waste points towards STR just to equip gear to get an INT bonus.

Also, several of the shields that are just Energy and Energy Regen are STR based too

Should I start adding STR to use that gear, or just forget it and go another route
    I am thinking that I can get some use from STR with the base damage fvrom VO znd when it's on CD or for most trash mobs I'll just use regular melee weapon. Maybe every level I can put 1 point into STR and 1 into Health. any ideas on what route I should go?

Priest
    you should never go full int or full str, and it's good to have some spare points on you all the time.

i think it's more pointless to go full int, there will be more items which will require some str, especially in legend.

never spend all your points, always spare some

Going "pure INT" does already entail putting enough points into DEX to wear typical caster gear.
    And it is a good idea, cause a "pure caster" doesn't need strength at all, he/she wants as much INT as possible to boost elemental and/or vitality damage and energy regeneration rate.

And keep in mind, affixes on non-unique items are completely random, hence an INT-bonus can easily appear on a STR requiring base item and vice versa. Those shields you mentioned (maybe thinking of Moon Disk?) are a special case catering to hybrid characters like a Paladin, who would profit from both wearing a shield and support for his spells. Actually, statpoint distribution is one of the main "challenges" of playing a hybrid build. Balancing out those points to get the best returns from the possible gear selection and spell support can be a tough decision, so a lot of players tend to keep a bunch of unassigned stat points to be able to adapt on the fly when maybe some new equipment is found or either melée attacks or spells seem to have lost their punch.
    "I don't need a nicotine patch, Penny - I smoke cigarettes."

Olympian God
    Why are you using a shield as a caster? You should be using a staff.

Olympian God Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
    Mostly IT, but some to DEX as well to help keep DA up. Casters are more fragile. Unless you want to wear some of the really good melee stuff, then you'll need around 500 strength. See Poinas' Pwning Guide with Spirit in the classes section of the forum to see what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Irma2 View Post
    Why are you using a shield as a caster? You should be using a staff.
    The mace/shield combo has more INT/energy/enjergy regen that the staffs I found, I just started this charactere, only level 5, I was just getting some input as to which way to go. I know that I wanna use VO to kill most stuff then have the auras from both earth/spirit on and do some melee to finish off the leftover from the VO

Ivest 1:1 Intex. This is what I do, and I can use whatever I like, whenever I like. Mind you, my mage isn't half in the bag like your's. Sword and Board? Next we'll have M16s put in somewhere...

MAGE gear NEVER requires STR.

Just play with staves, ignore those items with energy bonuses. It's just a random affix, not a reason to equip them. (a juggernaut or paladin class can use them fine, that's who those items are really suited for)
    |ASYLUMSMOD|SageGuide|ThaneGuide|BattlemageHelp|TemplarHelp|EvokerGuide|How to Mod TQIT|
    Please do not PM me asking for modding help or help fixing your game!!! Create a topic!

Olympian God
    Quote Originally Posted by tbbd View Post
    The mace/shield combo has more INT/energy/enjergy regen that the staffs I found,
    What's the point of having Int if your weapon base damage is physical? If you want to melee, then Conjurer isn't really the ideal build for it. Earth with Warfare (dual wielding) or Defense (hitting with shield as well as weapon) would be better.

It's only the affixes tbbd. Say you get a Jewelled Chalcadian Great Helm. It would be a melee fighter's helm, though it would give +energy regen. It may have +energyregen, but I would take it for my toons that use up energy really quickly (Juggernaut, Battlemage)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast