Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earth Only - Pyromancer - Any good?

Citizen

Cool Earth Only - Pyromancer - Any good?

I am playing around with an earth caster, putting points in the mana pool and int.

I figure I can put a ton of useful points into Earth for a long time (especially playing the Underlord Mod as I am).

Is this a good way to go? Gotta love torching shit

I put a couple points into Rupture and Ring of Flame to start with and I am going to max ring of flame now asap to blast away at the mass of mobs in act 1.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys, you are all awesome (or "special" in your own way)

Traveler
    I'd say no sooner or later you will max out the skills in the earth tree that you like ... then you will end up taking stuff you don't need and at the same time making your toon weaker. Even if you don't build out the second tree greatly at least pick one at some point so you can pick the benefit of higher STR, INT & DEX there is no requirement to actually buy the skills of the second tree just go up the tree.

You can go for quite a while with just the Earth tree; Rupture + synergies, Earth Enchantment + synergies, Core Dweller + synergies, and Volcanic Orb/Eruption + synergies are all huge point sinks. I don't recommend staying with just the Earth mastery though; it's not the greatest mastery for either health or energy (giving the least amount of energy of all of the "caster" masteries), meaning you'll be sucking potions every 16 seconds for the rest of your playtime, and the Core Dweller, while great at offering protection, can't stand on his own against mass Machaes, so you'll see him die a lot in Act 4. His resummon cooldown is so long that you'll have to find a nice, quiet, preferably dark corner in which to hide until you can resummon, assuming you don't die very soon after he does.

You could just fill up the 'thermometer' of one of the other masteries to get the health/int/mana and otherwise play pure earth??

Priest
    A well built pure Earth actually facerolls everything until Legendary. Everything (seriously, well leveled VO + Eruption + Core Dweller). There's even a vid of it in youtube. He will struggle a bit in Legendary though.

Olympian God Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
    Okay, I know the thread is old, but rather than start a new one for a couple of questions I thought I'd hi-jack this instead.

I'm trying to work on a Pyromancer guide as there isn't one in the Almost Full Builds Compendium, plus I like Earth as a mastery anyway. But - I'm wondering whether I should go Intel/Dex route or Intel only and try and keep out of reach of melee mobs, etc. Corey will be doing his thing of course which will help, but I feel that getting Intel up to around 550 for staves and then the rest into Dex is probably better, bearing in mind this will be a guide for newbies.

Second question: is it worth getting pet jewellery/staves to help Corey as against using fire based items like Brimstone and Eye of Flame? My view is petmancer jewellery and staves are probably best for when you have a lot of pets, but I haven't played that many pet based toons to know. If I'm relying on him for keeping enemies away does pet gear boost him better than if I don't use it?

A question before, Medea, (I guess that the answer in "yes", but just in case):

Are you going to build it as a "pure" (i.e. no second mastery as it is said on the title of this thread) pyromancer?

Yes, that is the plan. I've seen suggestions of taking a second mastery like Storm to use get the extra stats from the mastery itself without taking any of the skills, but that seems a bit like cheating to me as you're adding something to the Pyromancer that isn't actually anything to do with Earth mastery at all. I'd rather put all my points into Earth itself, maxing out all the skills except for Flame Surge which isn't that good and Stone Form - hopefully I won't need it if I can stay back and out of the mobs/bosses reach.

Ok, so this is what I would do:

-On dex: I would spend there just enough points to make my toon able to wear the end game gear you were plannig to use (i.e. 174 on DEX).

-And the rest ,it depends. When playing a caster, my first worry is to solve the energy comsumption problem. being a pure pyromancer, what I would do is the following:

-Look for items that give -energy cost bonuses, and if that si not enough, then I would spend attribute points on Mana (remember here that in this case you will even have less initial mana for not having a second mastery), applying to INT basically the same idea than to Dex; i.e.: just enough to fulfill the requirements of the end game gear)

About the gear: I would set the following goals for it: recharge reduction (as much as you can); good resistances, as much +x to all skills as you can (to increase the base damage of the spells and the porcentual bonuses of +%fire damage given by the skills of earth mastery), some +% fire damage bonuses, and good casting speed.

And to solve the energy comsumption problem I would look for two bonuses from the gear: -energy cost, and +energy.

As that will require to dedicate a lot if item slots to achieve all that goals, I would forget about petmancer gear.
    But I think that won´t be a problem: you can give deffensive support to the Core Dweller with your skills: just use it as a tank, and protect it with the stun effect of VO.

And thinking on bosses fights on legendary difficulty, you will miss a lot a debuff against almost all of them, so probably I would include a gear against bosses to debuff´em (a green staff with a shen nong enchanted on it+jewelry with mokey´s).
    Just remember, if you do this, that spells don´t convey the bonuses given by the gear (with the exception of porcentual bonuses of +%elemental (fire) damage, so then you should use the normal attack of the staff to debuff them)

And just in case: I would spend 1 point (just one is enough) on Stone form, as that skill can be a great help to count on a emergency skill to restore the health (and the mana) of your toon on hardest fights.
    Last edited by Quique; 07-12-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Yes, I had wondered about using recharge reduction gear. It was quite effective with Fozzie's Bladefinger Magician and there aren't that many items that give fire damage that I've found. Red Crown, Fire Blossom, Glowing Bangle, Dragon's Breath, Brimstone, Eye of Flame and Seal of Hephaestus seem to be the only ones for boosting fire damage in any way that I have in my Vault. There's the Pyromancer set of course, but it's only a blue so not sure it would work all the way through Legendary. Plenty of Artifacts and Staffs to choose from, but with blue/purples you can't socket relics/charms. I'll have another look at Fozzie's recommendations on gear for his Magician and see what can be used. Tossing off continuous VO and Eruption will certainly look spectacular!

If I were to use Gyphon and Pegasus stuff does the elemental damage on those also boost VO and Eruption?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast