Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Farming loot in TQ?

Citizen

Question Farming loot in TQ?

OK so I am not a newb to gaming, I am mostly an MMO player personally.

So, please explain to me how in a game like this people farm for loot.

Are there better places then others to stop and farm for specific loot?

I would really like to have better gear for my ranger then I did for my juggernaut as I go forth with him.

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I just can not see how farming works in a game like this.

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I just can not see how farming works in a game like this.
    You've never played D2?

You just...walk up to [insertbosshere], wail on him, loot his corpse/chest. Return to main menu, reload char, repeat from last waypoint.
    |ASYLUMSMOD|SageGuide|ThaneGuide|BattlemageHelp|TemplarHelp|EvokerGuide|How to Mod TQIT|
    Please do not PM me asking for modding help or help fixing your game!!! Create a topic!

Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
    You've never played D2?

You just...walk up to [insertbosshere], wail on him, loot his corpse/chest. Return to main menu, reload char, repeat from last waypoint.
    Ok so this does make sense, but I guess the big question is, what am I looking for if I kill "insertbosshere" over and over......

Well, as opposed to regular trash mobs, boss monsters can drop better items, including uniques (blue & purple). Certain bosses tend to drop certain items, and all monsters (bosses included) drop what they're currently using in terms of armor & weapons. So, for example, if you have a melee toon who could use a great club, you'd want to farm Polyphemus the Cyclops just outside of Megara. He wields a club, and sometimes that club can be Thorny Maul or even Sapros the Corruptor (which many players consider one of the best melee weapons in the game). These clubs can also be found in standard trash mobs in higher difficulties as well. If you're looking for good green bows, farming the Pythian Caves is a good place to find them as the Gorgons drop them. Also, the famed Stonebinder Cuffs are found in the Pythian Caves and the Minoan Labyrinth and are dopped by certain Gorgons such as Medusa and her sisters and the green & orange Gorgon bosses.

If you're looking for uniques in general, as well as relics, farming the "orb bosses" can be helpful (Telkines, Typhon, Hades, etc.--any boss that drops an "orb" when killed). Also, farming the Hydra in Legendary can yield some amazing finds (Hydra doesn't drop anything, but guards a chest that can pack excellent uniques). Most people farm the Hydra, Hades, the Telkines and the Secret Passage for uniques, although, as I mentioned, sometimes an excellent unique will drop from a trash mob, so you have to keep your eyes open.

Farming also gives you more XP, which helps you level up more often, which helps increase your skills, which helps your character become more powerful at an earlier stage of the game. Farming in Normal generally doesn't produce a lot of great items, but farming in Epic and Legendary is well worth your time. I tend to farm for XP in Normal (as well as in Epic/Legendary), but start seriously farming for items once I hit Epic/Legendary.

Mainly, though, it's hit-and-miss. If you're looking for a specific purple breastplate or spear, you could farm forever and never find it, while someone else could farm for 5 minutes and have it drop. I farmed several hours a night for a six-week period, doing Legendary Hydra runs and Pythian Cave runs, in search of Alexander's Cuirass, Apollo's Will ring and Stonebinder Cuffs. I found a grand total of 3 SBCs, one Alexander's Cuirass and one Apollo's Will. Another member farmed the spider boss Arachne using the massbosses mod and found SEVEN Apollo's Wills in one run. It's random, which makes it both frustrating and fun to farm.

Just keep in mind that, in general, good green items can be better than blue & purple items in the sense that you can insert relics & charms into them to customize them. And you can find those good green items in shops so you needn't devote weeks or months farming for something you may never find. So, you can "shop hop" to find great green items that are just as viable as those elusive uniques.

Bottom line: farming can be fun and can produce some amazing gear, but don't let it get in the way of enjoying the game--it's easy to get side-tracked and spend way too long farming the same areas over and over until boredom sets in. Any toon can finish Legendary without the ultimate uber gear, so have fun looking for it but don't let it interfere with your enjoyment of the game itself.
    Last edited by defboy99; 09-20-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Citizen
    Thank you defboy you answered a ton of my questions all right there

Very much appreciated!

Glad to be of help, Xaq. Forgot to mention that, obviously, charms drop from the appropriate monsters. Boar Hide from boars, Bat Fangs from bats, etc. So, farming for charms (for use in items or for building artifacts) is pretty straight-forward.

Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by defboy99 View Post
    Glad to be of help, Xaq. Forgot to mention that, obviously, charms drop from the appropriate monsters. Boar Hide from boars, Bat Fangs from bats, etc. So, farming for charms (for use in items or for building artifacts) is pretty straight-forward.
    Not sure I would have ever figured that out!! :P j/k I cant help being a smartass at times

I keep pretty much all charms/relics in my shared and other toons storage...I hate to get rid of any of them and then go DAMN I NEEDED THAT! So I created a few characters just to store crap on.

At one point, I had more than 70 storage characters, then I finally decided to give TQVault a try. It provides virtually infinite storage. You create a new Vault, name it, and there you go. It's incredibly handy for packrats like myself who keep too much stuff. You can find TQVault over in the Tools section. I use v. 2.3.0.4, but there's a more recent version out.