Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Admin ASAP I

I think that they're all gone. Good job fathersquid!
    Have you found a spambot or a member acting strangely on this site? Then report them to our Site Staff here!
    -6000 posts reached on 30th July 2013-
    -Moderator at titanquest.net since 18th June 2011-
    -These sites here and here help kill spam-
    -The MANBots were defeated on 30th June 2013-

So... hopefully things are cleaned up again now... please let me know if something like this happens... I would expect it will either be over now, or we will be bombarded... I hope the first since the spambot seemed to stop after 600 posts, but considering the fact that it made 3 different account that made about 200 posts each, it may create more accounts and try again...

Sorry for the inconvenience to all...

If it's the same IP, can't you/someone do an IP block on this site to prevent any member joining from that IP?

Also, perhaps improve member joining tests?
    Or, filter out posts that contain "Canadian Pharmacy"? Like Gmail can if you ever used that?
    Have you found a spambot or a member acting strangely on this site? Then report them to our Site Staff here!

Well... a few problems...

#1 If we ban an IP, then the problem comes with the fact that there may be legitimate users with the same IP - particularly if a proxy is being used... While it is true that the majority of the spam comes from Eastern Europe or Asia (and I've been doing my own private analysis to track things and see if there is anything we can block, so I'm pretty confident in this...) we also have legitimate users from those parts of the world as well - We wouldn't to block a provider and find we inadvertently blocked fans as well.

#2 Only iEntry who owns the forums would have the power to change the member joining tests - it is certainly beyond the capabilities of those of us who act as moderators here. This also applies to the filtering... and if we filtered Canadian Pharmacy, then we would constantly be adding new filters - much like we do in stomping the spammers and banning them currently. It just seems an almost pointless step. The filter may block out a spammer for one thing but allows them to spam others.

Personally, I'm pretty convinced that there is some sort of script or something running all these spambots - the majority of them originate as I said from the same parts of the world, post the same number of messages, and target the same areas of the forums. I again appeal to all users to report spam as soon as it is seen, and we'll deal with it as soon as we can. The best deterrent so far appears to be vigilance from the community.

Now if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions on dealing with such nuisances, feel free to share them - iEntry will probably check on things, and may be able to implement something...

Fathersquid, can't you track down iEntry and request administrator rights for you and ward? If you present them the situation with the spammers?
    The Book thread
    The Poetry thread

"The Zone wants to be respected. Otherwise it will punish."
    "It is so quiet out here, it is the quietest place in the world."

Last edited by bonobo4; 04-19-2011 at 08:34 AM.

More of them??!?

And I'm guessing this is an organised assault so changing member tests is useless - the spamming is by bots but the accounts are created legitimately by humans to get around captchas and the like, and are only switched over to bot control after the accounts are activated

To be fair only one of those 3 accounts (rosswater) posted anything, and he posted 10 threads today, that account is also banned and his posts deleted. So we just have 2 "potential" spambots. Not good, but could be worse.

Also probably unrelated but yesterday one of the three spambots (Gleinco) shared the name with a spam/scam site "Gleinco.com", which I visited using a Sandboxed browser and it contains links to other sites (it's either inactive, spam or doesn't exist.) Still, I wouldn't recommend visiting the site unprotected.

Also, if you can, tell us the IP. I could do a search and find all other domains running on that IP, then post the list. I like security related IT work for some reason.
    Last edited by bonobo4; 04-19-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurrrr View Post
    Fathersquid, can't you track down iEntry and request administrator rights for you and ward? If you present them the situation with the spammers?
    Due to problems that game up on other forums owned by iEntry, they made a company decision to not grant admin rights to people who are not employees of iEntry. I understand and respect their decision, it just makes tedious tasks a little slower at times...

I am guessing you don't have an option for thread selecting like in the pm function. Do you believe it's possible an option like that?
    The Book thread
    The Poetry thread

"The Zone wants to be respected. Otherwise it will punish."
    "It is so quiet out here, it is the quietest place in the world."

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast