Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guns in Grim Dawn?

Lead Designer - Iron Lore medierra's Avatar
    I think people have already made many of the points I would make but just to consolidate and voice them myself:

Guns are just an setting-appropriate art change. They play similar to bows or staves in TQ.

I have no fear that anyone will mistake Grim Dawn for an FPS as it doesn't look even remotely similar. World of Warcraft, Torchlight, and other successful RPGs have featured guns without any problem.

The reload times are not realistic for the era but, then again, I wouldn't say TQ bow attack speed was anywhere near realism either. It is tuned to be fun and balanced.

I'm sorry to hear that some people aren't fond of the addition of guns but, we realize that not everyone is going to like everything we do. At some point though, we have to do something and I think most people have been happy with this direction. For those who aren't, I hope that there will still be enough to like about the game that they can look past the things that may not appeal to their personal sensibilities.
    Last edited by medierra; 01-15-2011 at 03:50 AM.
    --> This message brought to you by: Taylors of Harrogate, Afternoon Darjeeling Tea <--

I think guns are a great addition and youre absolutely right, they work literally the exact same as bows in a game of this type. The only difference is graphical, and since guns clearly look cooler than bows, id say they have a definite advantage.

Maybe you want to join us on the Grim Dawn forums to discuss the game ... the forums have been in use for over a year by now. From Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Sectaurs
    here's a look at the newest pistol to get into the game

i'll try and post more weapons as they get made

Visit the Media sections to see guns/pistols in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomsk View Post
    I think guns are a great addition and youre absolutely right, they work literally the exact same as bows in a game of this type. The only difference is graphical, and since guns clearly look cooler than bows, id say they have a definite advantage.
    Agree~(Y) Guns are upgraded version of range weapons. As long as Grim Dawn don't appear as FPS, i'd find guns as a great addition to range weapons. Hopefully they include ammo too, from arrows to bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasy_snot View Post
    well, the thing is, the guns of the victorian era fired 3 rounds per minute, compared to the modern day 650-950 machine guns. Also, to be realistic, you would be vulnerable while you reload(depending on the gun) and i have shot with bolt action guns, each shot requires quite a while to reload, so it would really suck for people obsessed with guns if GD was being realistic with victorian guns. I would be a fan of one shot pistols or something similar, but those would not be apropriate for the era.
    The .577 Snider fired at about 10 rounds per minute. And the Victorian era were the first to introduce the pistol/sword, typically a flintlock with a sword attached to it, something I think would be very cool in an ARPG.

Demigod
    one note-people keep saying realism serves no purpose in ARPG's, but then immediantly say you would have to be realistic since it is victorian era and put guns.

Lead Designer - Iron Lore medierra's Avatar
    Realism certainly serves a purpose but that purpose is subordinate to the overall fun of a game. I employ realism where it adds benefit and abandon it when it becomes realism merely for the sake of realism and starts to detract. In this case, we aren't adding guns because it is realistic and we feel forced to do so; we're adding guns because we think it will be cool and most people will enjoy the change. It fits with our direction for the setting but Cairn is an alternate reality and we could just as easily say that gunpowder and / or firearms hadn't been invented there yet. This is a direction we have deliberately chosen; not one we've felt compelled to follow.
    --> This message brought to you by: Taylors of Harrogate, Afternoon Darjeeling Tea <--

Priest
    depending on how much youu can do with the graphics this may or may not be agood idea but it would be awesome if you could shoot a .50 caliber flintlock musket and shoot off monster's heads.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123