Obviously, you all have access to the source files already. The resources (.arc files) can be opened with the arcexplorer. The map can be extracted with p0a's decompiler. And while the records (and text) can be extracted, it's much easier to work with them separately. So, I put together a small package that includes:
- Records folder - the Underlord 1.51 (only the records changed/added by Underlord).
- Modstrings.txt - the text tags for Underlord.
- userDefineLang.xml - the Notepad++ custom language I use with the modstrings (makes a huuuuuge difference). Notepad++ is a freeware text editor that everyone in the world should use. They have instructions on their website on how to add this custom language.
Underlord 1.51 Source Package at ModDB.com
I forgot to include the templates, so those can be downloaded here:
Underlord Templates for the Art Manager
The only source files you don't have are the animated textures, since the texture viewer only extracts the first frame of an animated texture. Uploading the animated textures is not really tenable. Animated textures require a separate image file for each frame of the animation, so there are a lot of image files in the textures source folder as a result; just the skin for Ananke's Canvas has 150 frames. The total size of the image source folder for UL is 1.6gig. However, there's only a dozen or so animated textures in UL, and I find it highly unlikely anyone would want to edit any of them.
Note for translators:
Modstrings is included in the game's text archive (Text_EN.arc in this case). The archive has a number of .txt files and the only way to get the game to recognize the modstrings is to add them to one of the existing files. I chose xuniqueequipment.txt because it is at the bottom of the list, and thus loaded last (allowing duplicate text tags to be overwritten when they occur). At the bottom of xuniqueequipment.txt you will see that the entirety of the modstrings.txt file has been copied and pasted there. However, there are exceptions:
- MI Recolor - was done to the uniqueequipment.txt and the xuniqueequipment.txt
- UI Tags - the cooldown tags, the Penetration change, and some others. Most of the changes in the UI section of the modstrings were repeated in their original locations.
In case you're worried about releasing any changes you've made to UL because I'm such a control freak, relax. Honestly, if I could survive a version of Uber made with no death penalty, 6-second potion cooldown, and even faster leveling, I can survive anything. ^^
All I ask is that you never release anything as "Official" or with my name in the title; you're welcome to thank me in credits or whatever (not "welcome to" so much as "obligated to" ), just don't release it as mine; your mods are yours.
Remember to put [Rel] or [Release] in the subject when you do release it so I can easily spot them when I tour through to make sure the "Mods and Utilities" sticky is up to date.
Because Underlord expanded rather irregularly over the years, you'll often find different naming and organization conventions. For the most part, the various elements are compartmentalized with the various naming conventions. The best example is mastery effects, which are all in sub-directories of the masteries. The worst will likely be all the DRXMap stuff.
The DRXMap directory is a disaster because the blood cave grew as I worked on it (it started off as a 10x10 grid with a handful of blood demons), and many of the pieces and animations required hex editing to customize (meaning paths of defined lengths).
The second problem area will be the randomized uniques. You will have to look at the loot tables for them to see which records they are, because I overwrote some sandbox items. Like, the Heliotrope amulet uses the same record and path name as the Chrisrelic. So, if someone brings a chrisrelic into underlord, it'll turn into a heliotrope amulet. I dunno why I thought this was funny when I did it (prolly working very late at night), but the end result is an annoying little hunt for the bastards.
There are also some gratuitous records in there. They're usually backups, and will say "Copy of" or have a "xxx" prefix. I tried to delete most of the extra records (especially the large bunches of them). However, there are still some left. Like, I believe all monster infrequent items are included in the recordset, even though not all of them are modified.