Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [REL] TQ Texture Tools

Talking [REL] TQ Texture Tools

The .tex files in TQ are a container format for (mostly) malformed .dds files, so here are some tools to extract, fix and compile them.

Download: TQ Texture Tools

The zip file contains two small programs to extract and compile .tex files. Just drag a .tex file or a folder on TQ.Texture.Extract to extract all dds data from that file/folder.

To compile a .dds to .tex, drag it onto TQ.Texture.Compile. Read the readme for more information on cubemaps and animations.

Using these tools, you can create lossless skins if you have a program that can natively edit DXT compressed data (Photoshop with .dds plug-in).

Programmers can use the TQ.Texture.dll to load .tex files directly into their programs. PM me for more info!
    Last edited by Tamschi; 03-10-2012 at 07:40 PM.

So.... this is basically like the SkinCompiler tool, but it supports DDS?
    |ASYLUMSMOD|SageGuide|ThaneGuide|BattlemageHelp|TemplarHelp|EvokerGuide|How to Mod TQIT|
    Please do not PM me asking for modding help or help fixing your game!!! Create a topic!

Mostly. It's more low-level file access, so you have more control over the compression and can edit the files without recompressing them. Also, the files this program creates actually have valid dds headers, unlike those the TextureCompiler writes.
    The image quality should be a bit better than when using .psd and TextureCompiler.

Edit: Another difference: Unlike the TextureViewer, this program can open both normal and reversed mipmaps.
    Last edited by Tamschi; 07-06-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Just came across these- thanks! They're exactly what I was looking for.

Hey, I just came across your skin modding tool here and it seems to be a bit simpler than the ones on this topic. I tried following the instructions there, but I'm completely new to modding this game.

It's apparent that I need to have a program that will allow me to edit/unpack arz files, and that I will have to create folders that aren't there, because I simply don't have these folders or files:

C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Creatures\pc\female

All I have is an arz file. I have the 1.17 patch and AllSkins 0.8 mod installed and they work just fine in the game, but I don't have any of these folders or files that the tutorial on the "How to make skin" assumes I have. That tutorial seems to be aimed at people who already understand how modding Titan Quest works; not newbies.

So I guess my question is: Is there any way you could explain in layman's terms how to use your program to create your first skin? I'm clueless here. I have Photoshop, I just need to understand how to find the files I need.

Thanks!

You can either extract the skins from the Creatures.arc (with the ARC Explorer for example) or install the AllSkins mod which will give you the files mentioned in the other thread. You will need to create mipmaps with your image editor or .dds plug-in, otherwise the skin won't look as good in the distance.

In addition to what Tamschi said: That Creatures.arc is not in your database folder. It should be in your Resources folder.

I don't know why paths like the one you posted exist in the howto (haven't looked at it), but the way your database folder looks is quite alright. The database.arz "only" contains "metadata" about the game, like which skill uses which texture and effect.

My Patchfix for Fanpatch 1.17

~~ "Many Kings. Many Empires. Many Gods. Many Gods. All Gone. All Things Go." ~~
    - Anghammarad, "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    In addition to what Tamschi said: That Creatures.arc is not in your database folder. It should be in your Resources folder.

I don't know why paths like the one you posted exist in the howto (haven't looked at it), but the way your database folder looks is quite alright. The database.arz "only" contains "metadata" about the game, like which skill uses which texture and effect.
    That explains a lot... The stickied tutorial here says they should be in the database folder.

I was able to unpack the tex files and use the SkinsCompiler to turn them into PSDs (haven't gotten a dds plugin yet), but all the skin files are all one color. Sort of a lavender color, even though I can see the texture/clothes/face, etc.

Am I doing something wrong? It should look like a normally colored texture, shouldn't it?

Dunno, I just tried it and it looks good (I use GIMP instead of PS to open the psd file, but other than that I think I took the same steps as you did). Maybe you got a violet skin of the AllskinsMod...just try another texture (e.g. femalepc01_nmauls_nymph.tex)

I believe that the files of the Allskins Mod (which lufe is refering to in her tutorial) were once located in the database folder. At least that's what I believe is the most logical explanation... Dunno for sure, though...

My Patchfix for Fanpatch 1.17

~~ "Many Kings. Many Empires. Many Gods. Many Gods. All Gone. All Things Go." ~~
    - Anghammarad, "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett

Not sure, since they were all located in an arz file in the resources folder for me. I found them fine, I just needed to unpack them with the arzexplorer.

They're literally ALL violet though. I'm clearly doing something wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast