Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for the D2 experts among us...

Question for the D2 experts among us...

So I've been watching this little flurry of activity in this section over the past couple days and it seems that I'm getting the itch to reinstall Diablo II which from the look of my old character files I haven't played in 5 years.

So, this leads me to my question for the experts out there (you know who you are ) What mods / fixes / patches, etc. should I be looking for to improve my Diablo II experience? I'm looking for a list of must-haves and a list of recommendations here, preferably with a place to find the files I need... Any advice would be appreciated here!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Oh... and if it makes a difference, my D2 experience has been about as vanilla as it can get. I know I had 1.09 I think, but I don't think I used a single mod at all. I'm a D2 mod virgin...

Re: Question for the D2 experts among us...

1.10 was a huge change from 1.09 (whereas 1.11 and 1.12 hardly added anything) - so, you're in for a new experience.

I assume you're talking about single player, as closed B.net doesn't allow mods, afaik (I'm sure some hacks are used).

Anyway, for SP experience, I consider plugY to be a must; it allows unlimited storage, shared storage and access to features (certain runewords, ubertristram, crafting) that are normally only available for closed b.net ladder servers. It also allows you to respec your skill- and attribute points. Afaik, 9.00 is the latest.

I'd also recommend a mod to increase the resolution (multires I think it's called). Though the highest resolutions might be a bit weird, you can always considering cranking it up a little (e.g. 1280x1024 or something), as that'll make it look less aged

1.12 is the latest patch (and allows you to play without cd - legitly).

Also, if you haven't, be sure to use Lord of Destruction. It's like Immortal Throne to Titan Quest (only it contains a bit more content than IT).

Sorry, no place where to get them. But the names should be easy to google.
    Multires, plugY, 1.12(a) patch

Oh - Guess I should have mentioned that I have Lord of Destruction as well... I considered that a given...

i agree with yerk if youre just looking to enhance D2. if you want a total change, try out median xl.
    http://modsbylaz.planetdiablo.gamespy.com/

changes all skills, mercs, runewords, etc etc.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    There's battle lines being drawn
    Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
    Young people speaking their minds
    Getting so much resistance from behind
    I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
    Everybody look what's going down

Now owning TQIT, I don't see the need for a total change of D2

Anyway, you'd probably also want something to change the chances of runedropping - if you ever want to use more than half of the interesting runewords available (not necessarily overpowered - just interesting, as some weapons allow for unique builds).

One more thing; if you type in "/players x" (where x is the number of players, 1-8) in the chatscreen (enter by default) it will raise the game difficulty to that amount of players - besides monsters getting 50% hp and perhaps more strength, you'll also get more experience and more drops. Perhaps somewhat comparable to xMAX (though you won't get more monsters).

1.12+Plugy9.00+Widescreen Mod

Median XL / Nezeramontias

(Nezer works on 1.10 so i suggest a separate downgraded D2)

Ok - So I got all the files you mentioned... does the 1.12 patch update completely from all the earlier versions or do I need to get all the others and install them as well?

Redvex - how do I run two different versions? And by widescreen mod do you mean multires?

Copy you diablo 2 folder, paste and rename it in i dunno, Diablo 2-2, install the mod in the second/third/etc folder (most mods are installed by replacing patch_D2.mpq)

If you dont edit paths thru registry your saves will still be in your main folder though

So you'll keep a clean mod files-free install for closed bnet play

About downgrading, it'll get a lil trickier.
    You'll need this link
    http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo2exp/patches/PC/

Overwrite your game.exe with that one on the ftp so you can run and install older patches.
    The thing is, the patch will obviously look thru registry and check the "main" install, which will prolly be and stay 1.12 so you can tweak paths or do multiple clean install (also required for multiple sessions for legit online muling)

Note: You might get a popup from your antivirus with that game.exe, it's a false positive.

Olympian God Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
    Okay, I know the thread is old/ancient, but I've only just got D2 and expansion working on my PC. I've just patched to 1.13, but is Plugy worth getting? I ask because I can already tell that the miniscule inventory is going to drive me mad if I can't get it expanded. Also according to the LoD strategy guide I've just got my hands on there's supposed to be a mini map appearing on the screen, but I can't see it when I press "V" which is the default key for it. I'd really like to have it because the other map is pretty useless. I'm only single playing with Win7.

Nightmare14, would either of your suggestions help with this? I've yet to do those changes.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast