Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Electric burn DOT mage

Re: [Guide] Electric burn DOT mage

Quote Originally Posted by kaby View Post
    how about this build with a maxed out lich (and nothing else from that mastery) set on agressive?

do the damage over time from wave & reality stack (probably not )?
    No they do not stack sadly.

True, the Lich is also great at reducing resists... though not very reliable. And with all the Int, a Diviner can do some decent vitality damage as well.
    You just have to be quick to sleep / VoD any archers in higher difficulties, or you will be a pin cushion before you can say "squishy mage".

Like I said - Dream is the defining mastery here. The rest is up to taste.

The best part of this build is you can say witty things like "Time to wake up...AND DIE"

Violos, concerning sleep...

Is it viable to sleep an angry xmax mob of empusas and machae archers and ninja yourself past them? or do you need high recharge for that?
    HC xMax Challenge Finishers/Level/# of Retries: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ltCdM-wq0AsEY4
    HC xMax Active Entries: S. Binder 63 (1), War 60 (1), Ran 61 (6), Sag 59 (3), Ave 58 (0), Ora 59 (2), Tem 56 (1), Pal 49 (0) Coming Soon: Prophet, Spellbreaker, Illusionist
    Final TQ Goals: All Professions in xmax Legendary (22/45)

You don't. With some points invested, the effect of Sleep lasts longer than its recharge (even more so if it's reduced) and chain-hits entire groups of enemies.

OTOH... why leave them if you can kill them in their sleep?

yah, i was think of strats for my upcoming hardcore DK ninja. since i was using ToW, i was waking them up even before I got close to them. I'm really thinking about dropping that trance for ToC instead. He's a poison/EB melee'er, with only -25% recharge. I went crazy with the poison damage/EB damage. DA is in the decent 1.2-1.5k but I find myself at the mercy of projectiles in xmax.

was just trying to figure out how i could use sleep in my strategy. I might jst go: sleep > stab > next target > stab > next target > stab... but this isn't really viable in areas like (long walk before plains of judgement portal, domains, area in the necromantion quest, even the long walk from Epirus portal to Styx portal)... THere's just too much flying around.

I made some tests in Legendary, yah I can 1-hit almost anything that's not a boss, Gigantes or those dinasaur looking things, but doesn't change the fact that i have to hit them 1-by-1 and I can easily get overwhelmed. It also doesn't help that there's little to no room to kite in those places cuz they are swarmed (at least in xmax/uber).

ATM, my entry is still in early Epic so these worries are still far off, I'm still looking for decent poison rings before I actually take the run seriously... but I'll have to face this problem sooner or later.
    HC xMax Challenge Finishers/Level/# of Retries: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ltCdM-wq0AsEY4
    HC xMax Active Entries: S. Binder 63 (1), War 60 (1), Ran 61 (6), Sag 59 (3), Ave 58 (0), Ora 59 (2), Tem 56 (1), Pal 49 (0) Coming Soon: Prophet, Spellbreaker, Illusionist
    Final TQ Goals: All Professions in xmax Legendary (22/45)

How about Phantom Strike -> sleep -> run?

Generally, I find this kind of char to be very safe. Between a combination of DW slow, mass sleep, DR petrification and high run speed, melees can barely touch me.

Then again, I can burn them from a distance. But you hit them with weapon effects, so you may want to max -attack speed in order to get away before they finish their swings.

Was thinking about trying the EBD haruspex build with minor modifications:

http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.a...-12-0-0-12-0-0

Want to add even more points in DW, DR, Study prey and perhaps 1 in phantom strike and some in dream stealer, or 1 in psionic touch and some in psionic burn. Wanted to know what you think would be best suited? And whether or not to invest attribute points in health? Or if I should stick with Int and Dex, if so what ratio? 1 to 1? 2 to 1?

For attribute points, all you really need is Int. Dex only to hold your bonus-granting weapon. The DA is more efficiently increased by gear. And considering Health, I personally like to put some points there if I feel that it makes te difference between barely surviving certain heavy hits or not. But that is up to you.

As for the skill modifications, I wouldn't do any of that.

You see:
    Chaotic Resosnance increases the Wave's physical damage only. And points in DW itself increase only that, too. While great at the very beginning (before Delphi), 200 physical damage won't get you anywhere later on.
    Similar story with Distort Reality's base skill. The extra vit damage is ok, but not worth 11 points later on.

The 1-point CotH was there for the +33% extra damage against beasts and beastmen, which does work with spells. And best of all, this is a real "total" increase applied after all other calculations, so you actually kill 33% faster!
    And finally, Monster Lure tanks Toxeus. And for that, you will be happy to use this active skill even if you prefer the passives.
    Last edited by Violos; 04-14-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Man, if only I had stumbled on this guide prior to my asking if DW/DR was still viable in Legendary. Good to see that it is, it looks like a lot of fun!

A quick question though - you mention that a LOT of our damage from this build comes from Int. While Hunting will offer a lot in terms of using Study Prey, the actual stats you get from the mastery don't add to Int at all. Is that anything to be concerned about?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast