Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diablo 2.....I'm just not getting it.

Diablo 2.....I'm just not getting it.

Hey all,
    I just recently came back to TQ after about a year and love it more than ever, the cool thing is I never deleted it, I just knew I'd be back.
    Anyway with all the talk about Diablo I realized I had never completed D2, this time I vowed to take it seriously, so decided on a Concentrate Barb build because I like the defense aspect of it with all the synergies.
    Well I'm in A3 at I think L25, and although I've only bought it 3 times flayer mobs are really testing my resolve. I'm sorry but when I activate shout,battle orders and concentrate I should(even at L25)be fairly tough to deal with. This however is not the case, I've found retreating at this stage rather painful, I'm still using the magic crystal sword I got from the A1 boss because nothing worthwhile is dropping.
    The cube is nothing more than extra space because I have no idea what can be made with it, I've got all these gold keys in my inventory taking up space because I'm afraid to get rid of them, I could swear I used them before with the cube or was that D1?
    Long mediocre story short, I'm just not getting it, and most importantly I'm not having fun while not getting it. So to any D2 vet that happens to actually make it thru this.........what is my problem?

Regards,
    YingnYang

Re: Diablo 2.....I'm just not getting it.

Well, first off, you'd have to buy the expansion for Diablo 2, Lord of Destruction. It gives an enhanced resolution, a very well-designed extra act and a huge load of new weaponry and other stuff.
    The game will be hard on the eyes probably now, it wasn't exactly a state-of-the-art game back than and it didn't age very well (mainly because of the low resolution I reckon). I can't tell what I liked so much about D2, but I wasted enough time on it. I just like the building up of the character, find unique purposes for weapons, create giant skeletal armies. The dark gothic atmosphere and the gore really appealed to me too.
    That's my main problem with TQ; immersion.

With diablo 2, you should really check the Arreat Summit for what you can do with the cube. It has functions that you won't ever find out if you don't.
    Anyway, if it were so easy to tell what's so great about D2, developers wouldn't have come out with all these crappy next-gen action RPGs as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by YingnYang View Post
    So to any D2 vet that happens to actually make it thru this.........what is my problem?
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/

id say your main problem is you sound really confused, read through that site. im not sure why youre having trouble in the jungle though, my frenzy barb tore through there and im sure youve got much more defense than he did.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    There's battle lines being drawn
    Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
    Young people speaking their minds
    Getting so much resistance from behind
    I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
    Everybody look what's going down

Hey guys, thanks for the reply, yeah I've got LOD and the bump up in rez to 800 x 600 helps alot although the dated graphics don't bother me at all, its ironic that its the gameplay that is the turn off.
    And yes I've read many D2 forums but it seems due to its age only people with highly advanced characters seem to be posting and much of the stuff is kinda over my head.
    Absolutely, I am confused, I guess I thought most of normal would be a cake walk, I got the D2 battle chest that comes with the strat guide and I'm still lost. The one thing that will probably keep me in it is the addition of the ATMA mod that allows unlimited storage.
    I spose I'll just keep diggin and see if I can break thru this.
    By the way do I need the keys for anything or can I just sell them?
    Thanks guys.
    Regards,
    YingnYang

You need the keys for playing the game online (on battle.net).

You could ofcourse sell them, but if you sell the keys and still play the game, you might as well save the money in the first place and download the game from a torrent site, as that pretty much boils down to the same thing.

Anyway, if you play off-line, you might want to consider using plugY, a mod that allows for a bigger storage, transfer of items between characters in-game and all the online and ladder-only content in single player modus.

Using A1 sword in A3 doesn't sound too good. Do some shop farming, you should be able to find something nice, with enhanced damage for example. I basically used shop-farmed weapons with my last barb all the way to A4 in Nightmare. Ripped through normal with players 5/8.
    75 Harbinger | 70 Conqueror | 70 Conjurer | 70 Diviner | 70 Spellbreaker | 68 Ranger | 65 Elementalist | 65 Evoker | 65 Bone Charmer | 62 Guardian | 61 Brigand | 61 Thane | 61 Templar | 60 Battlemage | 60 Warden | 59 Haruspex | 58 Slayer | 58 Champion | 55 Druid | 52 Paladin | 50 Oracle | +++

Guide for All Skills Attribute Guide Custom Mastery Guide
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by yerkyerk View Post
    You need the keys for playing the game online (on battle.net).

You could ofcourse sell them, but if you sell the keys and still play the game, you might as well save the money in the first place and download the game from a torrent site, as that pretty much boils down to the same thing.
    heh, hes talking about in-game keys, not cd keys. i would say keep a stack or two, and sell the rest. all they do is open locked chests, and the best loot comes from champion/unique mobs anyway.

also, are you using a merc? i go with an act 1 merc until i can get a nightmare act 2 one.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    There's battle lines being drawn
    Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
    Young people speaking their minds
    Getting so much resistance from behind
    I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
    Everybody look what's going down

Heh, my bad, lol

Yeah, I meant in game keys sorry about the confusion, and yeah I was using the A1 merc which I loved(bow) and she made things alot easier but I thought, "hey, I'm not using a pet with my juggernaut why should this barb/tank build be any different?"
    I have'nt checked to see if I can hire her again, I actually thought I'd lost her.
    Last night I took a breather and went back to TQ and worked on my new Jug and its just a night and day difference, over time with TQ I've just developed a comfort level that I'm not even close to having with D2.
    And I will admit I've been looking for that uber sword while in normal and this seems so absurdly stupid its almost funny, because even I know the chances of a good drop are fairly remote.
    OK I guess my plan is to get a really good three socket sword and use all these gems I've been hording.
    Not giving up just a bit frustrated, I'll get it. Thanks fellas.
    Regards,
    YingnYang

If you have Lord of Destruction, you can even dress up your merc and take it to other acts. It's sort of a pet that can become pretty sturdy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast