Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Add Physical to Damage Mods to clarify things.

Add Physical to Damage Mods to clarify things.

It would be really nice that all +Damage, +% Damage, and +% Damage Resistance be turned into "Physical Damage" to clarify things.

The main thing I keep seeing posted over and over on these forums, is confusion over this aspect, many people are unsure what all Damage bonuses do, a lot have posted assuming that they effect -all- forms of damage. Whereas, so far, only Damage Absorbtion effects all forms of damage, and to my knowledge there is no bonus to increase all forms of damage.

I feel this would go a long way with making how each bonus effects your character.

I completely agree. It is so confusing as it stands. In fact, I can't figure out what half of the modifiers do. Something with +37% to Life Leech does nothing, by itself... but supposedly it increases the effect of Life Leech on a weapon. But does it affect "+% damage converted to health"? I have no idea! And is that "damage converted to health" classified as "physical damage" or any damage (including pierce, etc.)?

Furthermore, is "burn damage" (e.g. from Earth Enchantment) fire damage? Is it affected by fire resistance, +% fire damage, +% elemental damage? I don't know, since there is a specific +% burn damage modifier. And how about "7% energy stolen per hit (50% causes damage)". Does that mean "causes physical damage"? I really doubt it, since physical damage is blocked by armor, while it makes no sense for armor to block that kind of damage.

"Damage", which usually means physical damage, is certainly the most confusing - but it's not alone in that respect!

There's also a huge problem of determining which modifiers affect which things. Take the Rogue poison tree - does Toxin Distillation, which says "increasing the potency and duration of all poison attacks", affect only Envenom Weapon, or also a "+X poison over Y seconds" mod on a magic weapon? Does it affect Poison Gas Bomb poison? It is linked to Envenom Weapon, but the description contradicts that... so what the hell does it really do? This occurs in various other trees as well.

Summary:

1) Change all instances of the unaccompanied word "damage" to "physical damage", "leech damage", "vitality damage", or whatever type of damage is actually done. There should be no occurances of the unmodified word "damage" anywhere in the game, since it is devoid of meaning.

2) All skills that modify damage types should specifically indicate which sources are included. Specifically, any passive skill linked to an active skill (e.g. Velocity and Ice Shard) should never say "+10% Cold Damage", but rather "+10% Cold Damage from Ice Shard" or "+10% Cold Damage from All Sources".

3) Rare damage types must be better explained. Burn, Frostburn, Energy Burn, "X% causes damage", and other things for which there is no specific resist - whenever present - should indicate parenthetically which bonuses and resistances affect them... or something. I doubt that anyone on the forums knows whether Burn damage is affected by a +%elemental damage modifier, or by intelligence, or indeed by anything other than Earth Enchantment.

/signed

I just gave up trying to figure out what everything does.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaece
    It would be really nice that all +Damage, +% Damage, and +% Damage Resistance be turned into "Physical Damage" to clarify things.

The main thing I keep seeing posted over and over on these forums, is confusion over this aspect, many people are unsure what all Damage bonuses do, a lot have posted assuming that they effect -all- forms of damage. Whereas, so far, only Damage Absorbtion effects all forms of damage, and to my knowledge there is no bonus to increase all forms of damage.

I feel this would go a long way with making how each bonus effects your character.
    Wow. So "6% damage resistance" is only resistance to physical damage?

That explains a lot!

You're right - this needs to be changed.

And while they are changing it, they need to add a TON more +% physical damage modifiers to rings, amulets, etc. because there are barely any in game. Almost all you can find are +% some kind of elemental damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber Cherry
    I completely agree. It is so confusing as it stands. In fact, I can't figure out what half of the modifiers do. Something with +37% to Life Leech does nothing, by itself... but supposedly it increases the effect of Life Leech on a weapon. But does it affect "+% damage converted to health"? I have no idea! And is that "damage converted to health" classified as "physical damage" or any damage (including pierce, etc.)?
    Yes, Life Leech effects damage converted to health. In this case, its all damage types.

Furthermore, is "burn damage" (e.g. from Earth Enchantment) fire damage? Is it affected by fire resistance, +% fire damage, +% elemental damage? I don't know, since there is a specific +% burn damage modifier. And how about "7% energy stolen per hit (50% causes damage)". Does that mean "causes physical damage"? I really doubt it, since physical damage is blocked by armor, while it makes no sense for armor to block that kind of damage.
    Little common sense here please, in addition if you would highlight the Fire/Cold resists, you would have seen it. Burn damage is Fire damage over Time. Frostburn is cold damage over time. Energy Damage, is its own special resist that takes Energy Resist (on your secondary tab, again it tells you).

"Damage", which usually means physical damage, is certainly the most confusing - but it's not alone in that respect!
    Agreed.

There's also a huge problem of determining which modifiers affect which things. Take the Rogue poison tree - does Toxin Distillation, which says "increasing the potency and duration of all poison attacks", affect only Envenom Weapon, or also a "+X poison over Y seconds" mod on a magic weapon? Does it affect Poison Gas Bomb poison? It is linked to Envenom Weapon, but the description contradicts that... so what the hell does it really do? This occurs in various other trees as well.
    +% Damage mods effect ALL SOURCES, period.

1) Change all instances of the unaccompanied word "damage" to "physical damage", "leech damage", "vitality damage", or whatever type of damage is actually done. There should be no occurances of the unmodified word "damage" anywhere in the game, since it is devoid of meaning.
    Agreed.

2) All skills that modify damage types should specifically indicate which sources are included. Specifically, any passive skill linked to an active skill (e.g. Velocity and Ice Shard) should never say "+10% Cold Damage", but rather "+10% Cold Damage from Ice Shard" or "+10% Cold Damage from All Sources".
    It would always been the all sources modifier. We just need a bit of explanation somewhere that tells people that damage mods are always all sources.

3) Rare damage types must be better explained. Burn, Frostburn, Energy Burn, "X% causes damage", and other things for which there is no specific resist - whenever present - should indicate parenthetically which bonuses and resistances affect them... or something. I doubt that anyone on the forums knows whether Burn damage is affected by a +%elemental damage modifier, or by intelligence, or indeed by anything other than Earth Enchantment.
    This is explained in the resistances. Though I guess that could be a bit out of the way currently. Again, Burn is just Fire damage over Time, Frostburn is Cold damage over time, and Energy Burn has its own resist. Int effects Elemental damages only (Does not effect Poison, nor any of the damage types listed as resists on the secondary page), but it would be nice to have tooltips updated by Int increases and all of the various damage %'s, be they physical or any elemental or a rare secondary damage type (Vitality, Energy Burn, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Cambios
    Wow. So "6% damage resistance" is only resistance to physical damage?

That explains a lot!

You're right - this needs to be changed.

And while they are changing it, they need to add a TON more +% physical damage modifiers to rings, amulets, etc. because there are barely any in game. Almost all you can find are +% some kind of elemental damage.
    I find lots of +% damage mods actually. <Shrugs>

Summary:

/signed.

-I'd also like to see a complete breakdown of my damage (all types, individually), resistance (magic/physical/bleeding/pierce etc) and stats (strength, etc) on the character screen, not just a vague armour/DPS count that means nothing.

I want to see a complete breakdown in a table, and I want it to indicate the base amount (from skills+build) and the amount my gear adds on mouseover for each of the above (damage, resistance, stats) etc. I want to see what my gear and setup is doing.

I can see it's probably a design 'feature' so hide scary stats from the casual gamer, but please. Don't insult our intelligence! Don't hide the numbers from us!

/signed

I would very much like more info and details about skills and modifiers etc. Many of them are somewhat vague as to the extent it might benefit you. Also I would like to see dmg ratings per skill at any given time similar to Diablo2. If i have an aura or buff effecting me, I want to see exactly how that is boosting my dmg or abilities etc.

Since I'm a defender and rely on shield skills alot, I really don't know what kind of dmg I'm doing say with batter or whatever. I'd REALLY like to see these dmg ratings and ranges for any active attack skill in real time showing any variances from auras or what not. I hate being pretty much in the dark as to how much dmg I'm dealing with various abilities. Or some kind of interface option to show this based on current weapon or shield and any active modifiers etc.