Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Make Skins

HOW TO Make Skins

How to create a skin:

You have to have a program that allows you to create good .psd files. The only ones that I know are the GIMP -> http://www.gimp.org/ and paint shop pro -> http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1184951547051

I use Gimp. Some people say that Paint shop pro is better. You will have to see which is better for you, read about them before selecting one. Note: Gimp is free, Paintshop pro costs money, but maybe you can find a non-money working version of it...

1) Download the SkinsCompiler pack. It is available here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dv19o2
    I have put all together so that it is easy to work. Unpack in on a directory (for example, C:\SkinsCompiler)

2) Assuming you have downloaded and installed the AllSkins mod, you will have plenty of models to modify. Those models will be on C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Creatures\pc\female (for female models) or C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Creatures\pc\male (for male models). The path to the models may vary according to where you have your Titan Quest installed, your language, etc, but it will be <DIRECTORY WHERE YOU HAVE TITAN QUEST IMMORTAL THRONE>\Database\Creatures\Female .

3) On your computer, choose 1 skin that you want to change, and copy this skin (for example, if you want to change OoALEJOoO's Fully Nude skin, copy femalepc01_AOoALEJOoOs_FullyNude.tex) from
    C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Creatures\pc\female
    to the directory C:\SkinsCompiler that you created.

4) On the C:\SkinsCompiler directory, rename the file (e.g. femalepc01_AOoALEJOoOs_FullyNude.tex) to something else, for example, myworkingfile.tex

5) Enter the command line of DOS and go to c:\SkinsCompiler

6) Enter the following command on the DOS line:
    Code:
    TextureViewer.exe myworkingfile.tex myworkingfile.psd
    7) Now you have a .psd file. You can edit this file with the GIMP or with Photoshop pro. You will notice that it's not so easy, because the male or female character is represented as a texture. You will see what I mean when you get to this point.

8 ) Start making tests. You will need to know how to work with GIMP or Photoshop pro to do it. Change the character at will, and when you are satisfied, save your changes with the .psd extension again. The file you will have now is a "modified" myworkingfile.psd. You have to change this file back to a .tex file because this is the only format that Titan Quest can use. To do that,
    on the command line again, on c:\SkinsCompiler directory, issue the following command:
    Code:
    TextureCompiler myworkingfile.psd femalepc01_Nyours_PlaceholderWhite.tex -format dxt5
    9) Now you have a file called
    femalepc01_Nyours_PlaceholderWhite.tex. Copy this file back to the directory C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Creatures\pc\female

10) Create a character named Skin_Tester and enter the game with the AllSkins Mod. Go to Helos (first town), to the NORMAL trader (not the new ones) and buy the "Your PlaceHolder White" skin. Right-Click on it to use it. You will now see the character with the skin that you have made.

Notes:
    - I don't know if you have a C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne directory. It is the directory where Titan Quest Immortal Throne is installed. You may have to adapt the directories on my example.
    - You can see the command from 6) on a file called TexToPsd.bat and the command from 8 ) on a file called PsdToTex.bat. After you start changing the myworkingfile.psd, DON'T run the TexToPsd.bat file though, since it will override the file you have been working on (myworkingfile.psd) with the original myworkingfile.tex
    - The PsdToTex.bat file is more useful; you can add a line to it and automate a little more the process. Add a line like this:
    Code:
    copy femalepc01_Nyours_PlaceholderWhite.tex <YourTitanQuestImmortalThroneProgramDirectoryHere>\Creatures\pc\female
    (if you are copying to the female char) or
    to <YourTitanQuestImmortalThroneProgramDirectoryHere> \Creatures\pc\male (if you are copying to the male char).
    This line above will avoid that you have to do step 9).
    - The Step 10 has to be done only once. Once the Skin_Tester char is created, everytime that you enter the game, she will be with the last change you made on her skin.
    Try AllSkins mod, enhance your character's looks!!!

Re: HOW TO Make Skins

Glad you made this topic, Lufe! I get questions like this pretty often too, and now instead of explaining it again and again I can point them to your thread!

Quick question though, since I'm not a total expert on skinmaking myself...

I was going to take a break from Maenads and work a bit on Lamia and Empusa skins. However... I simply found no way to insert my modified tex files into the XP's archive, since TQMM doesn't work on that archive, and I have given up on ArchiveTool.exe after an hour of trying in vain... Any help would be greatly appretiated!

Let's say that your game is on

C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\

You just have to put your files on

C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Xpack\Creatures\monster\empusa

and they will take precedence over the .arc file. It's easy and works all the time.

For lamia, place the .tex files on

C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Xpack\Creatures\monster\lamia
    Try AllSkins mod, enhance your character's looks!!!

So the tex/msh files work even if they are not packed into the arc files? Interesting... Thanks!

I'll do a Jackalman skin first (now that I Raps helped me fix the templates I can edit Madman's mod and re-write it for IT) but afterwards I'll start with the IT monsters!

I can't get this bit to work...

Enter the following command on the DOS line:

Code:
    TextureViewer.exe myworkingfile.tex myworkingfile.psd

I've got a tex. file, one of the woman character. I've put it in a folder, in the same folder as the SkinsCompiler. I've got into DOS, found the directory structure for SkinsCompiler and see the tex. file which I've called newskin.tex
    I've done the command as above putting in newskin.tex instead of myworkingfile.tex
    I've also tried putting the tex. file in a separate new folder and can see the file there in the DOS as well.
    and it dosn't work.. what am I doing wrong?

20 years since I last used DOS, 'tell how old I am, well in my day.....

For one thing, TextureViewer.exe is not strictly a DOS program. Double-click it and you'll get a GUI.

It does have a small glitch. When you Export a file, you must type in the extension (.tga or .psd) - it doesn't do it by default.

For another - to use the command line, make sure you cd c:\whateverfolderyouhavethefilesin in DOS first.

And in your case - since your file is named newskin.tex - the command line is:
    textureviewer.exe newskin.tex newskin.psd

Quote Originally Posted by I_Raps View Post
    For one thing, TextureViewer.exe is not strictly a DOS program. Double-click it and you'll get a GUI.

It does have a small glitch. When you Export a file, you must type in the extension (.tga or .psd) - it doesn't do it by default.

For another - to use the command line, make sure you cd c:\whateverfolderyouhavethefilesin in DOS first.

And in your case - since your file is named newskin.tex - the command line is:
    textureviewer.exe newskin.tex newskin.psd
    Sorry for being thick, but I've got the image now as a psd. file on my photo editor... is that what I'm supposed to be doing? it's all broken up over the place. It's definately a psd file... Microsoft Picture It! Document (.psd)

It was a tex. and now it's a psd. that's ok to edit now isn't it? I opened the tex. file in the texture viewer, and exported it as a psd. using the file type .psd like you said...
    I've just checked on the DOS, and it is a psd. file now. I've renamed it, and the old tex. file is there as well.

Hi, me again. (just ignore me if I start getting on your nerves)...
    Where do I get a tex. file of the maenids from? I got the allskins tex. files copied over to a folder that I created, can't remember how I did it. I only want the maenid tex. 's so I can skin them mod. I'll be able to convert them into a psd. file now, then all I need to do is convert them back into a tex. Not sure where to go from there... monkey see...monkey do....

OK, it's quite simple... (since I did a Maenad skin myself I can point you to the exact details).

If you want to edit the regular maenad skin, open arcexplorer (it's for download on this board, just ran a search for it). Open Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest\Resources\creatures.arc, then select the \monsters\maenad\maenad02.tex and extract it, also extract the maenad02bmp.tex too, you'll need to edit the bump texture. (if you want to edit the other maenad skins, assassin01.tex is the Rogue/Shadowblade skin, castera.tex is the Sorceress/Alchemist skin, meleeb.tex is the Huntress skin.)

Now, open Textureviewer. Open the extracted texture, then select 'export' and export them as PSD files (I recommend them above png.)

You now can edit the PSD files in photoshop as much as long as you like. When done...

Go into the Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\ folder. (I recommend you use Total Commander, it's easier that way, otherwise you must open a DOS prompt in Windows). You should see a file named texturecompiler.exe.

Now, enter the following prompt:

texturecompiler yourmodifiedfile.psd maenad02.tex (or any tex you have been modifying) and press enter or run it. You should get a brief DOS window popping up and get your tex file!

Now... putting the tex file back to the archive!

Get TQMM - I guess you should have it, who doesn't? Create a new zip archive called 'Maenad.zip' and rename it to Maenad.tqm. If you are using Total Commander, it handles tqms like a zip file, hence why I recommend it. You can now go into the tqm, put your modified tex file there, and create an action.ini file (I usually copy one from an existing TQM file and modify it).

You should edit the TQM file to have a line like this:

[Skin title]
    1=maenad02.tex|monster\maenad\maenad02.tex|creatur es.arc

Where the first tex is the one you modified, and the text after the vertical line is where TQMM should put it!

You can add additional lines too. (I usually keep the original tex file there and have a line which restores them.

Then simply run TQMM, select your skinmod and apply it! Now open viewer, open the Maenad mesh, and you can review your work!

Hope this helps!

(And if you want to take a look at my own Maenad skins, they can be found Here!)

Quote Originally Posted by lufe View Post
    Let's say that your game is on

C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\

You just have to put your files on

C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Xpack\Creatures\monster\empusa

and they will take precedence over the .arc file. It's easy and works all the time.

For lamia, place the .tex files on

C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Xpack\Creatures\monster\lamia
    I just get to try out what you suggested... and it's not working. I created the C:\Program Files\THQ\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\Database\Xpack\Creatures\monster\lamia directory and put my lamia01.tex there, but the game doesn't use it...

EDIT: Never mind! Silly me, I put it into the resources, not database... Works now, thanks!

Btw, do you know how I can make Viewer see the IT textures (so I can review them)? I once managed to get it to work, but can't remember how...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast