Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Legend of the Wolves - aggroing Typhon

The Legend of the Wolves - aggroing Typhon

My champion discovered something really awesome last night while doing legendary Typhon runs.

We all know wolves on legendary are awesome. It just gets better when they start aggroing Typhon. and I really mean aggro Typhon to the point he ignores my champion.

My strategy is this:
    Main Ingredient: 3 level 20 wolves on Aggressive mode.

Secondary ingredients:
    - Sapros
    - Plague + synergies
    - Seal of Hephaestus ring.
    On way up to Typhon, I cast Heat Shield on the wolves. Not sure if it makes a difference, I guess it does since 15% damage resistance is not to be laughed at. Though, you can see in my pics below the wolves' shields have worn off.

Steps:
    1. Set all pets on Aggressive
    2. Run up to Typhon platform
    3. Turn right, touch Shrine of Mastery
    4. Run to lower left quadrant of platform. IMPORTANT: keep a fair distance from Typhon to prevent him from melee-targetting you. Avoid Typhon's breath attacks, drop a Battle Standard.
    5. Here's the amazing thing. By this time, Typhon has decided the wolves are annoying and starts to melee one of them. (Also, while I am running to one side in step 4, the wolves will begin engaging Typhon anyway). I run to Typhon's back, plague him, and kill him. No danger whatsoever to my champion.

By the end of the battle, the wolves are almost always still alive.

Pics for proof - all from different runs:

BLUE ARROW = me. RED ARROW = wolf:

You can see my Onslaught aura behind Typhon:

Typhon completely ignores me. The Plague cloud is between his legs, looks kinda funny but works wonders.

EDIT: added an important point, step 4.

Re: The Legend of the Wolves - aggroing Typhon

Plague between his legs...maybe he caught something....something nasty...
    Good stuff btw !

*EDIT*
    My Pet Ritualist just took on Epic Typhon last night...And the wolves tanked!! YEEHAW!!!
    2 of 'em died...
    BLOODY MARVELLOUS!

Great to hear! Wait till you see the wolves in legendary!

btw, to all: i added an important note to my first post. It's important to keep a fair distance from Typhon as you run to the lower-left quadrant. If you run too close to him, he may target you for melee, and it's kinda hard to get him to retarget a wolf. So, keep your distance as you run - veer closer to the perimeter of the circle, rather than smack inside the quadrant.

This should allow your wolves to engage Typhon first. Watch as Typhon turns away from you (usually after a breath attack and a meteor storm) and engages one wolf. When he does so, you're home free.

I also encountered on many occasions, Typhon zoning out. Halfway through the battle, he just stops and stares. Easy kill at this point. Not sure if this is reproduceable but it happened a few times.

Glad to hear it works on LEG Typhon too. I've been doing the same with my lvl 58 Soothsayer built as a tank (>7K life w/ HoO) running the LEG Hydra. I ctl click a wolfie into H's area, it draws the aggro, and run behind like your pic with Mr. T. Between plague, full deathchill + upgrades, and dark convanant, my 3 lvl 20 wolves tear him a new one without hardly getting a scratch.

yea haha i've had typhon zone out or even run away from me sometimes. i find it happens when i charge at him and open up with a volley that crits for 11k damage per hit. he must be like "O MY ROD THIS LITTLE GUY HURTS" *Cries*

I've only faced him on normal so far..but why wouldn't he just dump meteors on their butts and wipe them out? This seems the norm on my pet experience so far. Or does plague reduce his damage? I might be missing something.

Yes, in normal the wolves are rather weak. My point is that in legendary... wow... at full health, IIRC, the wolves can survive the meteors. For this particular strategy I posted above though, Typhon typically drops his meteors only once, sometime between when I touch the mastery shrine and run to the quadrant. Once he engages the wolf in melee, he seems to stick to melee, and I kill him so fast he never seems to drop the meteors again.