Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Fix for the Excessive Lag in the Crystalline Stellae + Hades' Throne Room

Thumbs up A Fix for the Excessive Lag in the Crystalline Stellae + Hades' Throne Room

If you are finding that the second you enter the Crystalline Stellae just prior to Hades' Throne Room that the game almost grinds to a halt and continues all the way to Hades', then this is your fix.

I cannot guarantee that this will work for everyone, but alas it worked for myself and has remained so. The actual problem appears to be with the Quest.MYW and QuestToken.MYW files and some possible corruption within either or both.

After suffering with this myself for over a month and trying almost everything I could to remedy the fault, I finally clinched it through sheer determination.

Firstly, I noticed that the problem was occurring on one set difficulty "Legendary" and with one particular character only, my remaining characters did not have this same problem.

Secondly the issue could be "sort of" short term fixed by ALT-Tabbing out to windows and back again when you entered Hades' Throne Room, but alas the lag prior to that was not so easy resolved.

Finally, although this makes it almost lag free, there is still a tiny amount of rubber-banding occurring when the lightning animation from the crystalline actually animates, but it is hardly an issue.

Firstly you need to find another character that does not have that issue at the same spot, try different difficulties and different characters to find one suitable, if this is happening to all your characters, then alas this fix is not for you, sorry. Also make certain he/she has completed all the same quests as the one that has the problem.

OK, make a backup of the entire character folder and place it somewhere safe, for the purpose of this example, I am going to use the names "Jack" and "Jill". Jack has the corruption while Jill does not.

OK, Jack has this said problem within Legendary difficulty and his entire folder can be found here:-

C:\Documents and Settings\DJ Eski\My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest - Immortal Throne\SaveData\Main\_Jack

Make a backup of this folder and keep it safe, incase something goes wrong or you follow the procedures incorrectly.

** Make certain the game is not running. **

First, delete the BACKUP folder from within :-

C:\Documents and Settings\DJ Eski\My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest - Immortal Throne\SaveData\Main\_Jack

Now within the Levels_World_World01.map\Legendary (under jacks structure) delete all the .QUE files and leave the MAP and Quest + QuestToken files there. Start the game, load the correct difficulty with Jack's character and once loaded, quit back out and finally quit back to the desktop.

Next, is to copy the Quest.MYW and QuestToken.MYW files from Jill's working location and overwrite the one's in jack's. So, if Jill did not have this lag problem within Epic and Jack does have this problem within Legendary then copy Quest.MYW + QuestToken.MYW from :-

C:\Documents and Settings\DJ Eski\My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest - Immortal Throne\SaveData\Main\_Jill\Levels_World_World01.ma p\Epic

to :-

C:\Documents and Settings\DJ Eski\My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest - Immortal Throne\SaveData\Main\_Jack\Levels_World_World01.ma p\Legendary

Finally, the map.dat file seemingly stores your last rebirth shrine + location and nothing more, but if the above does not work, copy that across also.

I Sincerely hope that this works for you, as it has done for me, as I loved to Farm Hades' for items and due to the amount of deaths and frustration caused by this ongoing lag, I was about to cease playing this character until some fix was implemented. But perseverance paid off and I found a workaround.

Many Regards,

Incinerate.

Re: A Fix for the Excessive Lag in the Crystalline Stellae + Hades' Throne Room

Good find. It works! Even better yet, I found a way to eliminate the stellae lightning arc lag almost completely.

I went to check the level of choppiness in different difficulty settings. Initially, all 3 difficulty Hades seemed to lag my machine for quite a bit. Among the three difficulties, Legendary Hades proved to be the worst; he would make lower my FPS to ~10, while the Epic / Normal variants would only lower the FPS to around 20. In all three cases, my harddisk keeps spinning crazily for the entire duration for the fight. Here came a thought: If the lagginess is related to the Quest.MYW and QuestToken.MYW file, can't I just turn them into read-only files and spare my harddisk some pain?

(Edit: In order to change those files into read-only files, simply look into the folder which correponds to the difficulty you have in mind, right click onto Quest.MYW and QuestToken.MYW, select properties, and Check the "read-only" boxes. Don't forget to click on "Apply" at the end!)

The combination of copying Epic (the less laggy) version of Quest.MYW and QuestToken.MYW and the read-only trick proved to be just the remedy to the rubberbanding effect of the second type. (the first type being rubberbanding without harddisk spinning, using my own definition) now I don't feel any lag, even when the lightning arcs throught the crystalline.

To further test whether the rubberbanding is gone for good, I TP'd back to the Tower of Judgement to test it against the infamous "ghosts o'lag". And Yup, it's gone for good.

WARNING: Do not use this read-only trick if you haven't finished all quests in game already, or it might seriously mess up your quests.

I also uploaded the non-laggy versions of Quest.MYW and QuestToken.MYW. Here is the link:
    RubberFix.rar

Again, please remember to backup your save folder before atempting any modification.

Excellent!! I will have to try this one

fm2055: Did you also delete the .QUE files, as stated by Incinerate, or just do the replacement + read only?

Quote Originally Posted by fm2055 View Post
    WARNING: Do not use this read-only trick if you haven't finished all quests in game already, or it might seriously mess up your quests.
    Does this mean you have to kill Hades with rubberbanding (complete that quest) and then overwrite the files? In that case it will fix it only for your additional Hades runs, you would still need to bear the rubberbanding the first time you get to the crystals, correct?

I deleted the .que files and haven't tried otherwise. So far, it messed up nothing.
    Does this mean you have to kill Hades with rubberbanding (complete that quest) and then overwrite the files? In that case it will fix it only for your additional Hades runs, you would still need to bear the rubberbanding the first time you get to the crystals, correct?
    That's the way I did it at least; My templar had no problem whatsoever killing legendary hades even with insane lag due to class imbalance. However, if you have difficulty killing hades with lag, you probably could tab out to toggle read-only off after you kill hades, before you talk to persephone. Note that I did not try any of these myself, and I do not know if that would cause any unintended consequences in your quest tab. But then, you backed up your files, didn't you?

Also, I do not have a set of non-laggy "all quests but hades Quest.MYW / QuestToken.MYW" files. If your current .MYW files are already corrupted, toggling read-only might not completely remove your rubberbanding.

Glad to hear it worked for you "fm2055" !

On the subject of your further testing, I tried as you suggested and made those 2 files Read Only and this has further improved the situation, great find mate! . Just remind yourself to put them back to normal if we get a patch so it can update the 2 bugged quests we are all missing "As I for one, have left them uncompleted"

The oddity of the .MYW files started when I began to take a look at the differing file sizes of all my characters whom had completed all the quests on all difficulties. I noticed that the dodgy one was twice or more the size, weighing in at a hefty 630k compared to the others which were 250k-300k max. I presumed that certain entries had been duplicated within the Quest.MYW file and/or triplicates or worse or even corruption. I'd kind of guessed at this point that somehow when we were entering the Stellae that the reading back of this information was causing the immediate chopiness and could be causing 3-4 instances of that animation to overlay themselves and thus cause the effect or something similiar.

Either way, it's now working as intended!

Regards,

Incinerate.

I have uploaded some video footage of the before and after "the fix" scenario for you to persue.

You will have to excuse the poor quality generally and size as I was trying to keep the file sizes down to a minimum.

Before :- http://www.chaosreborn.co.uk/Tunes/olmec1.wmv

After :- http://www.chaosreborn.co.uk/Tunes/olmec2.wmv

Regards,

Incinerate.

does this fix work for other parts of the game as well where you see rubber banding?

Quote Originally Posted by nomec View Post
    does this fix work for other parts of the game as well where you see rubber banding?
    I am led to believe it helps some of the other lag-infested areas also, but I cannot confirm as alas I have not tried them myself.

The Rubber Banding is generalised throughout the game in small doses and this thread/fix was not targetting that problem specifically.

Regards,

Incinerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Incinerate View Post
    Before :- http://www.chaosreborn.co.uk/Tunes/olmec1.wmv

Regards,

Incinerate.
    Off topic but, can you tell me what is the song please?

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMan View Post
    Off topic but, can you tell me what is the song please?
    The artist is "Rob Dougan", title "Clubbed to Death" and is taken from classical roots.

Reason I had it to hand is I actively remix Dance Music for the music industry and have done so for 20yrs, and is one of my vast 20k + collection.

Suited the clip well, I thought

Regards,

Incinerate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast