Modifications
Titan Quest - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Greek Mythology VS TQ

Historical Greek Mythology VS TQ

This thread is dedicated to the people who`s more interested in the creatures we slay, p*ss off, loot from, and we run errands for. My reference goes to some of them, not all, since TQ got them correctly defined
    This thread is not to put TQ in a bad light for their bad interpretation of Greek mythology and timeline, but a more general clean up on the historical greek mythology/timeline VS TQ settings.

So lets starts with some of the creatures and creature heros.

Chiron

Lived during Hercales time while he was doing his 4th labour, and was like the game interprets him: Wise, gentle and kind. He was sired by Cronus the Titan, and of different breed of regular centaurs. Chiron was immortal until he gave up his immortality to free Prometheus from his trangression when he brought fire to Men. He died finally to a centaur attack led by Nessus.

Nessus

As the game says, leader of the Centaurs. Died during a struggle with Heracles. But his tainted blood in turn killed Heracles.

Myrmidons

Myrmidons are reptilians as TQ have them. The Myrmidons were too the personal trained army of Achilles during the Trojan War.

Maenad

Are in fact female worshippers of Dionysus. Maenad means "Raving ones". They are described to be, i quote Wikipedia " They were known as wild, insane women who could not be reasoned with" "; they indulged in copious amounts of violence, bloodletting, sexual activity, self-intoxication, and mutilation" Which in turn TQ has made catwomen off... which frankly suits them pretty well

Maenad`s was too responsible in the killing of Orpheus.

Cyclops

The funny thing about the Cyclops is that they in fact helped the Olympian Gods defeat the Titans. So beats me why they are hostile to us in game.
    But they did marvelous things for the Gods in term. I quote Wikipedia:

"They fashioned thunderbolts for Zeus to use as weapons, and helped him overthrow Cronus and the other Titans. The thunderbolts, which became Zeus' signature weapons, were forged by all three Cyclopes: Arges added brightness, Brontes added thunder, and Steropes added lightning.
    These Cyclopes also created Poseidon's trident, Artemis' bow and arrow, and the helmet that Hades gave to Perseus on his quest to kill Medusa "

Telkine

The corret word for Telkine seems to be Telchine. They were, i quote Wikipedia:

"they were the original gods of Rhodes, before the onslaught of the Greek monoculture. In the classical records of the post catastrophe period the Telchines tend to play an important part which link them to myths involving Atlantis. This race of artificers, artists and magicians, connected with the sea at every stage in their history, were entrusted by Rhea with the upbringing of Poseidon, which they accomplished with the aid of Caphiera, the daughter of Oceanus"

So basicaly they could have some connections with the Titans as in TQ, but its a vague argument.

Cerberus

The three headed hound who guarded the gate into Hades, and ensured that spirits could enter, but not leave. Cerberus sister was Chimera, and the offspring off Typhon and Echidna.

Talos

As in TQ, a bronze automat who guarded Knossos. Was eventually killed by Medea.

Typhon

The son of Gaia and Tartarus, who tried to replace Zeus as king and God of Men. He was according to Homeric hymn thrown into Tartarus with the rest of the Titans. Not imprisoned under Wusao mountain as in TQ :P

Re: Historical Greek Mythology VS TQ

Moving over to Gods.

Hades

God of the Dead, and the eldest brother to both Poseidon and Zeus. Hades was too known as Pluto, which in Greek means "The unseen one" or "rich one". The word Plutocratic comes from this word, Pluto= money, crati= govern. And yes, he is a clever God as TQ describe`s him by NPC`s. He`s weapon though is not a reaper as in TQ, but a two pronged fork.

Charon

Charon, as in the game, is the ferrryman that brings the newly dead from the one side of the river to the other against payment (obolus). If they couldnt pay, the newly dead had to wander a hundred years, or haunt the living for a better funeral. He does NOT ferry shades from the river Styx, but from the river Acheron. There are a total of 5 rivers that surronds Hades underworld: Acheron (the river of sorrow), Cocytus (lamentation), Phlegethon (fire), Lethe (forgetfulness) and Styx (hate). The river Styx however, forms the boundary between the upper and lower worlds. He is the Son of Erebus (darkness) and Nyx (night).

Persephone

Daughter of the Goddess Demeter and, well, the abducted wife of Hades. She is the deity for nature, for seeds and nurture, much in the same field as her mother Demeter, Godess of agriculture. Now to the abduction myth
    Persephone was picking flowers with some Nymphs when Hades came and ravaged her from them ,and travelled to the underworld. Demeter looked for her everywhere, neglected her duties, until Helios (The Sun), the allseeing, told what happend. Demeter wept and didnt fufill her duties.
    Finally Zeus, pressured by starving people and other Gods who felt the pressure in their end, forced Hades to give up Persephone. But before Hermes could retrive her, Hades tricked her to eat pomegranate seeds. For every seed she ate she had to stay 1 month with Hades. According to some tales she ate from 3 to 6 seeds. But its been roughly concluded she took 4. So 4 months with her mother (Summer) 4 months with herself (Spring) and 4 months with Hades. (Winter) So now you know where we get our seasons from

Over to heros.

First i want to say that TQ SHOULD find a place to fit in Heracles! He lived during that time, bringing in to mention that both Nessus and Chiron lives in TQ!

Medea

Jason and Medea is the way to tell this, since she was in the quest for the Golden Fleece with the Argonauts. Medea is known in most stories as an enchantress, and is often depicted as being a priestess of Hecate. She is the granddaughter of the sun god Helios and a niece of the witch Circe.

Orpheus and Eurydice

Just short say that Eurydice was not re-united with darling Orpheus until he died himself by the hands of Meanads. (And to the person who plays the voice of Eurydice: You have a DAMN sexy voice! Are you single? )

Agamemnon, Ajax, Menelaus, Oddyseus and all the other epic heros

According to Homeric Myth, the Trojan war havent even started yet during the lifetime of Nessus, Chiron, and Heracles! So how come they are dead and in Elysium?

The Three Judges of Hades

The 3 judges are in fact brothers; Minos, Rhadamanthys and Aeacus (half brother). Radamanthys judged the souls of Asians, Aeacus judged Europeans and Minos had the deciding vote. In TQ the evil king of Crete, as told by the NPC`s, (who forced Dadeleus to build the labyrinth, and who put the Minotaur there) is in fact Minos the 2nd, the grandson of Minos the 1st, the judge and good king of Crete.

Thats what i came with so far. Maybe i`ll update more when i find more TQ "error`s" to fill in

Dev

If I'm right Polyphemus is the first Cylcop hero you have to kill. He's not situated on an island, as far as I know, while in the book, he is. This might be an error as well

Nice post, thanks for the read!

I just wanted to say that at least Iron Lore did better than Disney. And considering "Hercules" was most people's only exposure to Greek Mythology they all think it is 100% what the Greeks thought. Those people need to spend more time on Wikipedia.

Thanks Devoras, an interesting read.

Thanks so far for the positive replies

And guess what, i found some more!

Empusa:

Now TQ have them as the typical winged beast demon, often with similarites to Succubus. It is said they had donkey like features, were female, supernatural, and some sort of monster. So i guess TQ is entitled to their version of picturing them more vicious
    But in Greek mythology, Hecate sent Empusa to harass travelers. It scared to death or ate anybody that travelled along the paths or roads it inhabited.

Lamia:

The Lamia in TQ are pictured as centaur-wannabes, but is in fact abit wrong. In Greek mythology, Lamia was one of the monstrous bogeys that terrified children and the naive, like her daughter Scylla, or Empusa. The Lamia had the head and torso of a woman, but the lower half of her body was serpentine. More said, the Lamia had a, i quote wikipedia " cannibal appetite for children that could be interpreted as a dangerous erotic appetite for men"
    Which was how it worked at that time.

Karkinos:

I never even dreamt that these vicious crabs, (and freck they hurt in legendary) actually had a history. But in fact they do! In Greek mythology, Karkinos (a transliteration of the Greek word for Crab), was a crab that came to the aid of the Lernaean Hydra as it battled Heracles. Karkinos bit Heracles in the foot, but was crushed beneath the hero's heel. For its efforts, however, Hera placed the crab amongst the stars as the constellation Cancer. It is one of a large number of constellations that memorialise the labours of Heracles.

Well these so far. Might stumble on more later on

Dev

In fact, the Minos of the labyrinth is the Judge. His life was a tragedy, but he was well knowned for his qualities, so Zeus let him join the other two brothers after his death.

The problem is in most of the case they describe him as a tyran just because of Dadelus (a criminal in fact, he killed a cousin by jealousy, that's why he was there) and the minotaur (the son of his wife in fact, who was in love with a white bull (!!!)). Minos story is much more complex than that.

For Chiron, he was accidentally wounded by Herakles hydra's arrow (it was a centaur vs lapith conflict). It was such a pain that he prefered throw away his immortality to Promethee in order to die.

Sorry for the english, not my primary language.

Chiron`s part is correct, so thanks for correcting me there.

As for Minos, I still stand on my part. I got Wikipedia as my source.

"To reconcile the contradictory aspects of his character, as well as to explain how Minos governed Crete over a period spanning so many generations, two kings of the name of Minos were assumed by later poets and mythologists. According to this view, the first King Minos was the son of Zeus and Europa and brother of Rhadamanthys and Sarpedon. This was the 'good' king Minos, and he was held in such esteem by the Olympian gods that, after he died, he was made one of the three Judges of the Dead, alongside his brother Rhadamanthys and half-brother Aeacus. The wife of this Minos ('Minos I') was said to be Itone (daughter of Lyctius) or Crete (a nymph, or daughter of his stepfather Asterion), and he had a single son named [Lycastus], his successor as King of Crete. Lycastus had a son named Minos, after his grandfather, born by Lycastus's wife, Ida, daughter of Corybas. This second Minos - the 'bad' king Minos - is the son of this Lycastus, and was a far more colorful character than his father and grandfather. It is to this Minos ('Minos II') that we owe the myths of Theseus, PasiphaŽ, the Minotaur, Daedalus, Glaucus, and Nisus. Unlike Minos I, Minos II fathered numerous children, including Androgeus, Catreus, Deucalion, Ariadne, Phaedra, and Glaucus - all born to him by his wife PasiphaŽ. He was the grandfather of King Idomeneus, who led the Cretans to the Trojan War."

As for more reference, go here--> Minos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And that as they say, is that.

Dev

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast