PDA

View Full Version : So after the "improvements" what still rocks?

AlienChild
10-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi,

Are there any mow-em-down builds possible in 1.2 preferably not equipment dependant and thus accessible to a newbie?

(Would still like to hear about any builds even if they are equipment dependant)

Felexitus
10-02-2006, 01:44 PM
rangers with scattershot. wardens arent exactly mow em down but insanely good.

s3rial
10-02-2006, 01:51 PM
The conqueror, as before, is still an awesome build, although with the changes to the Battle Rage line, it's even more powerful (this is typical of all melee classes in 1.2). However, they are highly equipment-dependant. That said, there are some lowbie rings, namely the Living Band, that can make life a lot easier and free up some of that equipment dependancy.

Despite the Ternion nerf (it was badly needed), Spirit is still, arguably, the most sickeningly powerful skill tree in the game.

Bow-centered Hunting builds are tremendously powerful as well, but they take a long time to mature, and are even more equipment-dependant than melee characters, and good bows seem to be a lot harder to come by than good swords.

There's also the ability to make specialized high-offense caster builds into magical gatling guns that're so powerful, the game ceases to be fun. The key is -100% recharge. At that point, Volcanic Orb, Lightning Bolt, and Eruption are just obnoxiously powerful. However, this is a hugely gear-dependant setup, too, as -100% recharge is very difficult to get (1.2 removed a lot of -recharge from items), and even if you get it, you'll go through mana so fast, you'll then need -energy cost and +casting speed items. If you want to do this the easy way, use Warfare as your secondary; Battle Standard has a -50% recharge on it.

But if you really just want a good, laid-back, newbie-friendly, equipment-independant farming build, the Soothsayer's the way to go. Look for +skills items (particularly for Nature; at 18 Call of the Wild, you can get 3 wolves at once). Let the Liche King and the Nymph blast away, and just focus on keeping them alive and dropping Plague whenever possible.

s002wjh
10-02-2006, 06:36 PM
so spirit still powerful, and ternion still useful?

CGameProgrammer
10-02-2006, 06:45 PM
The Storm spell "Squall" is a good offensive spell that is unusual in that it doesn't need -recharge, -energy, or +casting-speed items. It has a 5-second recharge but lasts 6 seconds, doing ~50 base lightning damage each second to most enemies within its really really wide radius. Get the lightning upgrade of Storm Nimbus for +75% Lightning Damage, and the Wisp and its Eye of the Storm upgrade for an additional +100% Lightning Damage, and you can very easily do good damage with totally worthless items.

For the second class, Spirit or Nature is good, for the pets. Or Earth, since the enemies will cluster around the Core Dweller, but he seems to die easily post-1.20.

Seven05
10-02-2006, 07:29 PM
I wasn't a big fan of caster before 1.2 but I've been using them frequently after upgrading.

Earth is very powerful offensively, I don't seem to be having the same problems as other people are with the core dweller (agro or HP), probably because I didn't use him pre 1.20.

Ternion is, in my opinion, extremely effective now. Rather than hitting one target with three hits you tend to hit multiple targets, especially with arcane lore tacked on.

I haven't spent much time with Storm or Nature so I can't comment on them.

Edit: So I guess I'd have to say Earth, although not a "mow 'em down" mastery can certainly launch them into orbit frequently enough.

RDespair
10-02-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm playing a mostly Rogue build (a few points into Nature for Heart of Oak's speed boost) and I've been finding it to be rather effective. After getting a couple of pieces of equipment with major bonuses to bleeding damage (+155% Bleeding damage between my greaves & necklace), I decided to make a technique oriented character - Throwing Knives & Poison Bomb have been killing enemies so effectively that I removed my skill points in the poison line for the time being (I'll put them back later, but what's the point of confusing enemies when they die a second later anyway?).

Throwing Knives got a slight boost with a slightly higher level cap, but the real benificiary of the patch was Poison Bomb as both it and its enhancement Shrapnel got huge enhancement. I especially like Shrapnel as it does huge amounts of both bleeding damage and piercing damage. To those who say that poison bomb is too slow, I respond that it's not designed to be a long range attack (which makes its previous penalty to archers odd) - try throwing it at your feet or at an enemy that's right in front of you and you'll see just how effective it can be.

wqp
10-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Only in normal with my rogue yet, but spamming maxed out traps looks quite promising. Although you do have to be light on your feet due to the delay of them unfolding and starting to fire. But boss battles have ended quickly so far. (I've also maxed knives)

LitmusDragon
10-04-2006, 02:51 PM
I suppose it depends on your definition of "rocks".

I'm playing a Conqueror late in Act 1 Legendary using only the items that I've found with the character and I'm having no problem advancing.

My weapon is some type of maul with 207 max damage, %32 enhanced damage, and %67 slow. The slow helps a lot.

This is my first character so I don't really have a guage as to how powerful he is versus the other characters yet.