PDA

View Full Version : Should I bother with Shield Smash?

deception5
09-26-2006, 06:07 PM
With the new patch, I noticed it gives something like -100'ish defensive ability 16% of the time for 6 points. I've put points into it and taken them out a few times as I respec often. I don't really notice a huge difference in my killing speed (small sample size though)... anyone know if this is likely to help a lot (significantly more high damage crits?) or is a waste?

Thanks!

Mad_Bombardier
09-26-2006, 06:34 PM
If you don't notice much of a difference, then don't bother. Since its not an area attack and has no benefits other than -armor (which is semi-useless if you 1 or 2 hit kill anyway) you may be ok with just Pulverize and Disable. I wasn't using Disable before because of the bug (spear warden), but with v1.20 have spec-ed out of Shield Smash into Disable.

KAuss
09-27-2006, 04:49 AM
Well, the thing is, even though you get no added bonus dmg, don't the shield still fire anyways? This is with the added bonus of the weapon dmg...

I kinda see it as another 16% proc to use your weapon + shield dmg... Not to mention my player has +3 to all skills and everything procs IIRC 19%... So I'm always doing dmg more than a regular swing...

apocalypse80
09-27-2006, 05:06 AM
It still does weapon+shield damage.

The new shields hit almost as hard as maces.
So , if your weapon isn't a mace , the shield will do more damage = shield smash will do over double the damage per hit listed in your character sheet.

The above is a lot more complicated if you are using a pierce-based char (since the shield doesn't do piercing damage).

16% chance to do double damage.
Somehow that doesn't sound useless.

ZombieBunny
09-27-2006, 07:32 AM
I kinda notice a difference, sometimes my screen just fills up with yellow numbers after my character smashes a mob. And as indicated in above posts, its free damage from the shield.

Frostbane
09-27-2006, 10:27 AM
It's priceless for a spear user. For times when you need some good old regular damage against pierce resistant enemies.

deception5
10-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Ahh, thanks for the feedback - I am a spear user, I'll have to try it again.

Thanks!

Ion Silverbolt
10-04-2006, 05:06 PM
I think it's worth it. Especially if you have a high dexterity or have good offensive ability boosters like found in the warfare tree. A Conqueror would be silly to not max it. Battle Rage + Shield smash = Constant yellow numbers.