PDA

View Full Version : actual historical dual-wielders?

Hellspawn
06-25-2006, 04:36 AM
I know there are some history buffs around here. I was just wondering if there were any actual historical dual wielding warriors. I know roughly around the time of the renaissance in Europe people used a rapier type sword and a smaller stilleto type weapon, but that is the only example I can think of. Anyone know of anything else?

RyanPaul
06-25-2006, 04:53 AM
Looked into this one. The best thing I could find that would be relevant to the time period is that gladius swords were sometimes (but not often) used in each hand. I could find no picture of this, or any specific reference to a historical instance of this occuring. I was led to believe that this was seen sometimes in gladiator matches.

Like several things in the game, this is probably another example of a historical liberty being taken to make the game a little more interesting and deep.

Jack
06-25-2006, 05:01 AM
miyamoto musashi was dual wielder

Batman
06-25-2006, 05:08 AM
Gladiators were typically picked from prisoners of war, slaves, and sentenced criminals. Different gladiators specialized in different weapons, and it was popular to pair off combatants with widely different equipment. The types of gladiators were taken from conquered peoples' use of weapons and armor. It was also popular to pair up gladiators who fought with weapons of two different civilizations which fought often, i.e. Gallic Warrior vs. Roman Legionary. Gladiator types and their weaponry included:

Andabatae: Fought with visored helmet and possibly blindfolded and on horseback. They were called andabatae, from άναβαται, ascensores, because they fought on horseback, or out of chariots.[1]
Bestiarii: Fought against beasts, usually with spears.
Bustuarii: fought around the remains of a deceased person, as part of his funeral rites
Dimachaeri: Carried two short swords (the gladius)
Equites: Fought on horseback with a spear and gladius, dressed in a full tunic, with a manica
Essedari: Charioteers in Celtic style.
Hoplomachi: Fully armoured, based on Greek hoplites. They wore a helmet with a stylized griffin on the crest, woollen leg wrappings, and shin-guards. They carried a gladius and a small, round shield, and were paired with mirmillones or Thraces. They apparently became Samnites later.
Laquerii: Lasso Laqueatores were those who used a noose to catch their adversaries
Mirmillones (or murmillones): Wore a helmet with a stylized fish on the crest, as well as a manica. They carried a gladius and an oblong shield in the Gallic style. They were paired with hoplomachi or Thraces.
Provocatores: Fought with the Samnites but their armament is unknown (might have been variable, hence the term "provocators")
Retiarii: Carried a trident, a dagger, and a net, and had at least naked torso, no helmet, and a larger manica. They commonly fought secutores or mirmillones.
Samnites: Carried a long rectangular shield, visor, plumed helmet and short sword. The name came from the people of the same name Romans had conquered.
Secutores: Had the same armour as a murmillo, including oblong shield and a gladius, however, they wore a helmet with only two eye-holes. They were the usual opponents of retiarii.
Thraces/Thracians: Had the same armour and weapons as hoplomachi, but instead had a round shield and also carried a curved dagger. Their name came from Thracians, and they commonly fought mirmillones or hoplomachi.

Well, there you have it. SCOURCE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator)

yoshi74
06-25-2006, 05:40 AM
Fighting with two weapons at ones requires a very skilled fighters. As already mentioned, Myamoto Musashi was famous for using both the long katana and the shorter wakizashi at once while fighting.

For military purpose a shield was much more valuable than a second sword to defend against arrows.

So duel wielding was only used by high skilled individuals, thats why it is pretty unknown in military history. But it fits pretty well to our heroes in TQ :)

Matheau
06-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Duel wielding is more for stories than practical combat. Shields far out weigh the use of a second weapon.

Miyamoto Musashi was known as a duelist, not a warrior in actual combat. There is a big difference between the two and the tactics needed in the two are different.

Virtually all two weapon styles are duelist styles. It looks cool and is usually flashy, but they aren't terribly practical real combat styles. A duelist rarely would have to deal with archers, friendly forces accidentally hitting him in a backswing, enemy forces appearing from every side, cavalry, and other assorted hazards which would be dishonorable in a duel, where it is customary for only two people to be involved in an even fight.