PDA

View Full Version : Damage with bows....

RyanPaul
06-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Okay, so here's a question someone here can probably answer. I understand that dexterity increases/modifies how much piercing damage you do. I understand that strength increases/modifies the physical damage you do, so what about bows?

Does that mean that strength, as well as dexterity, will increase the damage you do with bows? I figure, only about 25% of bow damage is piercing, so adding points to strength would boost bow damage...

Srikandi
06-24-2006, 04:44 AM
I believe that's right, and it makes sense. If you're stronger, you can pull the bow back farther. If you're dextrous, you can place the arrow in a chink in the armor.

Matheau
06-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Yes, but keep in mind, I believe Dexterity is more important for equipping better bows than Strength.

raduneo
06-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately, strength only increases damage to melee weapons. It's written in the tooltip.

Eyejinx
06-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Greetings:
I don't believe that's correct. I tested this just yesterday, and putting points into strength did, in fact, raise the damage I was doing with a bow. In general, you're going to want to focus on Dexterity for bow-users, because of the piercing and OA boosts, as well as the stat requirements, but you can make a tanker of a bow-user (putting points into strength so you can use heavier armor), and it will increase your damage output.

Best,
Eyejinx.

raduneo
06-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Tx. a lot Eyejinx. But in that case you'd better change the text in the tooltip for Strengh, because it faills to mention that it makes a difference in Bow damage as well. ;)

Deadrex
06-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Why not make it easy? dex for ranged dmg, int for magic dmg and str for melee dmg? Im really confused where to put my stats now for the best bow dmg....

Darth Executor
06-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Well, pierce damage ignores armor I think. It would be nice to know the formula for how armor works but apparently it's some close guarded secret.

Matheau
06-25-2006, 12:19 PM
The most important aspect of Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence is being able to equip better items. Comparitively, the stats don't have the impact that the actual equipment has.

RyanPaul
06-25-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm not so sure about this either. I guess it makes sense. A high dexterity will make your piercing damage rock, but it seems that this handicaps certain builds by making all 3 main attributes VITAL. Most builds can get by focusing on just 2.

Eyejinx
06-25-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not so sure about this either. I guess it makes sense. A high dexterity will make your piercing damage rock, but it seems that this handicaps certain builds by making all 3 main attributes VITAL. Most builds can get by focusing on just 2.
Greetings:
Min/max at your own risk. Focusing on just two attributes may enable you to get through Normal faster, but you're likely to hit some extremely rough patches in higher difficulties as you run into monsters that have the speed, resistances, and damage types to counter the particular tactic you've optimized for.

That said, some builds will be easier for some folks because they're more streamlined (don't have to use active skills as much, don't have to worry as much about point distribution), and other builds will be more powerful because they get the benefit of a larger range of options and behaviors.

Balance doesn't mean that every build is equal. It means that every build has tradeoffs, and when used the right way, can provide a fun play experience.

Best,
Eyejinx.

zeroburrito
06-26-2006, 09:44 AM
I put ALL my points into int and my guy is unstoppable so far on epic. Ternion attack mutilates groups of enemies with 1 or 2 shots and my hp is perfectly fine as ive only died once, but i also have heart of oak maxed for double hp. bosses die in less than 5 seconds on epic its so crazy..i just hope legendary ups the hitpoints enemies have significantly, that or they need to nerf terion attack a little more as it wasnt enough of a nerf. Ternion shoots your staff 3 times at increased damage with area of effect and each of the shots is about 600 dps at my level so multiply that by 3 and im churning out 1800 dps. This skill really needs to be looked at, as i can spam it indefinitely because you can buy many potions as you have tons of cash. The best char is always the one that is extremely good at one thing not decent at a few things, for arpg's anyways.

Darth Executor
06-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I put ALL my points into int and my guy is unstoppable so far on epic. Terion attack mutilates groups of enemies with 1 or 2 shots and my hp is perfectly fine as ive only died once, but i also have heart of oak maxed for double hp. bosses die in less than 5 seconds on epic its so crazy..i just hope legendary ups the hitpoints enemies have significantly, that or they need to nerf terion attack a little more as it wasnt enough of a nerf. Terion shoots your staff 3 times at increased damage with area of effect and each of the shots is about 600 dps at my level so multiply that by 3 and im churning out 1800 dps. This skill really needs to be looked at, as i can spam it indefinitely because you can buy many potions as you have tons of cash. The best char is always the one that is extremely good at one thing not decent at a few things, for arpg's anyways.

If you use that grove with the mana regen and - to skill cost ability along with dark covenant you should not need mana potions.

zeroburrito
06-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Yes, but then you wasted points on something you could put elsewhere. You losing nothing when you buy potions. I only need a potion once every few mins or so and each one fills bar to full. Mana regen skills are essentially useless, so are health regen skills. Spirit/Nature is incredibly strong with your own heal every 3 seconds and double hp plus insta death ternion attack.