PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Character's Name

SomeGuy
06-15-2006, 04:49 PM
I tried searching for a thread about how to change the name of a character, but the forums said "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: name".

I also checked the FAQ thread at http://www.titanquest.net/questions-answers/121-complete-faq-titan-quest.html

How do I change the name of my character?

DaveyJJ
06-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Given the ability to hex edit the character, I'd say that wouldn't be too much of a challenge that way ... but within the game, I'm not sure there is the ability to do this at all. I'm certain one of the developers or such will be along to answer your question shortly.

Sadokan
06-15-2006, 05:56 PM
You can go in to:
C:\Documents and Settings\[Login Name]\My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest Demo\SaveData\Main\_[Savegame name]\

and just change the [Savegame name] to what you want but i would not recomend it because the character will be locked at that stage in development and if you loot something or complete a quest it will not be saved

SomeGuy
06-15-2006, 06:47 PM
You can go in to:
C:\Documents and Settings\[Login Name]\My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest Demo\SaveData\Main\_[Savegame name]\

and just change the [Savegame name] to what you want but i would not recomend it because the character will be locked at that stage in development and if you loot something or complete a quest it will not be saved

Yeah, I tried renaming the folder as you said but it reverted back to the name I had before (but now with updated progress).

~V~
06-15-2006, 07:02 PM
There are no officialy supported ways to change a characters name. Doing so manually is not recommended as saved game data could be at risk.

Gorkk
06-15-2006, 08:15 PM
There are no officialy supported ways to change a characters name. Doing so manually is not recommended as saved game data could be at risk.
I'd add that you guys at Iron Lore made some slight chances in the way character saves are handled since demo (prolly some kind of checksum or dunno what), as hex editing the player.chr in the review version with basic things like putting masteriesAllowed to 02 will result in the character no longer having any skin in the character selection, and failing to be loaded (some alterations I tried have even resulted in my char losing any achievement, and becoming a level 1 girl instead of being a guy :D).
I shall say it was nice to see you had adressed a bit the easyness of editing (although there's still some easy and evident ways to exploit things ;)).

Arangar
06-16-2006, 05:05 AM
That's VERY good to hear, thnx gorkk.