PDA

View Full Version : Dex or Str?

dmg1
07-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Which adds more dmg in the end - dex or str?

Although the general consensus is that dex adds more dmg due to the peircing bonuses in the hunter class, I have seen those that insist str is the way to go. One reason being you can wear some of the better armor with +speed modifiers, and I also seen someone of the opinion that str inflicts just as much peircing dmg as dex but ALSO does more physical dmg.

http://www.titanquest.net/spoilers/1159-knowledge.html?highlight=knowledge

It's not entirely clear to me in this link which does more dmg.

Because most weapons deal a fairly small percentage of piercing damage, focusing heavily on Dexterity for damage is probably not wise unless you are using a Mastery that gives bonus Piercing damage - either Hunting or Rogue can add 50%+ Piercing damage easily. This means that Warfare/Rogue for dual wielding piercing swords, or Hunting/Warfare for Spears, or Hunting/Rogue are all 'obvious' natural combinations for heavy Pierce damage.

So, I understand this, but does this factor in the importance of good str-based armor in legendary? Is it true that str adds just as peirce dmg as dex and also adds physical dmg?

Need help - I've got 10 stat points needing to be spent.:razz:

Terrawen
07-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Strength will provide more damage than Dexterity on a basic level.

However, the Hunter is one of two classes that specialize in piercing weapons and pierce damage in general. Due to the number of +% pierce damage modifiers in the the Hunting Mastery, Dexterity will be a more beneficial attribute. Dexterity is being made better by skills like Art of the Hunt and Call of the Hunt/Exploit Weakness.

Ultimately the damage you receive from Strength and Dexterity are both comparable but Dexterity will also allow you to critically hit your enemies more often and help you avoid being critically hit. I believe that Dexterity will also help you evade projectiles and possibly even melee attacks, though this I'm uncertain of.

Another point worthy of note is that the spear weapon in general is the most reliant on Dexterity for boosting it's damage. Axes and Maces are entirely physical damage. Swords are 10-15% piercing, I believe. Bows are 25%. Spears are 25-30%. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule. There are special unique weapons with more or less piercing conversion. The higher the number, the more reliant on dexterity for boosting your damage.

Please keep in mind that if you're a spear-user then the highest level shields require 407 strength to equip and the best armor for a pierce-oriented character is the Tracker's set, which requires 364 dexterity. These are fine initial goals for you to meet, which should take you until level 45 or 50, depending on your secondary class. At that point I'd recommend either pumping more into dexterity for more damage or pumping health for more survivability.

Anyway, cheers.

Deadrex
07-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Str is good so you can equip nice stuff, ive also read it gives way moore dmg, someone made mega expert calculations, like 10 pierce dmg when into dex, but 20 normal dmg and 9 pierce dmg when into str. Personally i put about 2/3 dex and rest Str.

Ion Silverbolt
07-22-2006, 03:38 PM
If you have no other source of damage besides physical and pierce, then it's a no brainer to boost strength over dex, or at least boost them up at about the same rate. Study prey will be awsome that way when you use it plus, with the mod you lower their defense a lot thus if you switch to a spear, you'll probably land some nice criticals. This is why critical hits were probably removed from bows. It was too powerful that way.

If you're focusing on an elemental build though, you might consider just boosting int and dex. Currently my int is higher than my dex. I went that route because there is more damage potential from the elemental tree than from physical damage. On the plus side, I still do good piercing damage because my dex modifier is good. Especially with scattershot which can only get it's damage boosted from dex and pierce modifiers.

Felexitus
07-22-2006, 04:47 PM
im a spear brigand and i put all my leftover points into str, why?

because as a pierce damage dealer with a weapon that has a pierce modifier of more than 50%(due to +skills) it seemed a good idea to boost the damage BEFORE my pierce mods kick in. my items give about +300% pierce damage, my skills another +200% the dex gives something between 70 and 80% bonus pierce. lets say my weapon deals 100 damage and for some weird reason have 46,8% pierce (30% spear with lvl 6 blade honing)

now i would deal 53 physical damage and around 417 piercing damage.
in reality i have around 120% damage from str and the same from items, none from skills.
in this case i would deal 224 physical damage and 1433 piercing damage

now lets add 65 dex
without str and items: 53 physical damage and 437 piercing damage
with str and items: 224 physical damage and 1468 piercing damage

now lets add 50 str:
without str and items: same as before ;-)
with str and items: 235 physical damage and 1494 piercing damage.

the point is: the higher the pierce ratio of your weapon the more str actually effects your pierce damage too. and if you have a sufficient amount of + %pierce damage str will do a much better job modifying your pierce damage.

thats why i also only wear the trackers headgear and wouldnt ever put on the rest of the armor, achilles armor athenas battle greaves and conquerors bracers serve me much better

Viperace
07-24-2006, 02:30 AM
Felexitus and others pretty much covered the damage points.

Here, I want to stress something: don't ignore STR. You need STR to equip better armor, the armor in the game is imba right now. You can buy STR or INT based armor, but not DEX-based armor. It is very hard to get hold of a dex-based armor for hunter, you will be screwed with low STR armor if you neglect your STR.

The only way to get dex-based armor is from monster. The best dex-based set, Tracker Armors is being tailored for Hunter, and thats about it, it is the one and only set. Unless you already have those uber dex-based armor in your mule/bag, you might wanna consider putting points into STR , and go for STR based armor.

Until they patch it up by letting the vendor sell dex-based armor, I don't think any dex-based built is viable. (Unless you already have Trackers set).

Metodist
07-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Please keep in mind that if you're a spear-user then the highest level shields require 407 strength to equip and the best armor for a pierce-oriented character is the Tracker's set, which requires 364 dexterity. These are fine initial goals for you to meet, which should take you until level 45 or 50, depending on your secondary class. At that point I'd recommend either pumping more into dexterity for more damage or pumping health for more survivability.

Anyway, cheers.

Humm.. not to be rude.. but the best spear requres 377 dexterity.. not 364 in a armor. .. ^^ that's the top dex u need

Felexitus
07-31-2006, 07:09 PM
bows and tiger armor have even more dex requirement.

after all youll have some + dex stuff sooner or later. once you have your first apollos will youll cry you have put so many points into dex

Metodist
08-04-2006, 08:14 AM
bows and tiger armor have even more dex requirement.

after all youll have some + dex stuff sooner or later. once you have your first apollos will youll cry you have put so many points into dex

yeha noticed that ;D haha.. my dexterity went far over 500 :O really stupid of me, something to remember.. the str also increase a bit, but not as much as the dex.. To bad that u could'nt respec your attribute points .. :errf:

Ion Silverbolt
08-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Has anyone experimented with an extreme dexterity build with like a spear brigand or something? I think I rememebr the knowledge thread saying something like an extreme defensive ability gives you a chance to dodge an melee attack entirely. Does it ever get to a useful point?

And what about critical hitting? With extreme dex and study prey with flush out, are full 50% criticals common?

I just wonder if there's something to a high dex build. It's the only reason I can think of that would make the developers put dexterity armor in the game.

As for bows, I can't think of a reason why extreme dexterity would help since bows can't critical hit other than having a lot of scattershot damage.

Felexitus
08-04-2006, 09:14 AM
i made(=cheated) a warden with 2700 DA when xaece posted the to hit formulas

tried to get DA as high as possible that was all i could reach and i was hit A LOT
but yes i saw yellow numbers all over the place