PDA

View Full Version : [Ranger] Wolves are noob tanks

Sober_Sean
07-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Compared to the Core Dweller my wolves are terrible at their tanking job.

I've had them since I was able to first get them on my level 49 Ranger. Maxed wolves, 10 points in the bite, 1 in each of the other two skills in their tree, maxed heart of the oak for the life boost.

Now, I put one point into Core Dweller for my hunter that has earth as her second mastery, and was just blown away by how much better the Core Dweller can tank due to it's aggro gaining and holding skill. One point and he tanks like a champ. No matter what I throw at the mobs, they almost never peel from him.

With my wolves, even if I let them chew on a foe for awhile before opening up, there's still a pretty big chance that the mob will peel from the wolves and beeline right for my face. Annoying as hell but I was so used to it from all those levels.

Now seeing how easy it's going to be comparitively with my Core Dweller build that actually has a decent tank...makes me think that the Wolves need a bit of a buff to be honest.

Something along the lines of giving them the Core Dwellers aggro gaining skill would be nice, hell even a 50% chance of holding aggro like he does would be a huge improvement. As it stands now, they suck bad at holding mobs attention so I end up having to melee most fights.

Keep in mind, this is legendary and I had to respec out of my bow skills because my scattershot was aggroing whole packs of mobs onto me. Now I just kind of wait for my wolves to chew on the creeps for awhile before opening up with my single arrow shot haha. PITA really.

Deadrex
07-21-2006, 07:17 AM
But core dweller doesnt give you 100% increase health, 10 increase total speed, 70% increase dmg, and 15 increase total speed, And core dweller doesnt have thoose nice abiliteys and is only 1 Pet instead of 3.

dangermeister
07-21-2006, 07:37 AM
When can u summon 3 wolfs or can u summon 3 wolfs at all without brutal skills bonus? I respec my skills on my toon just to try this out so i maxed wolfs and its 3 skills. But i still could just summon 2 wolfs?

Deadrex
07-21-2006, 07:53 AM
U need 3+ to nature skill to do that :)

ArcaneX
07-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Or yu just need to pick up a mastery shrine ;

dangermeister
07-21-2006, 08:11 AM
great 3+ sounds plousible...

Sibella
07-21-2006, 10:12 AM
My Ranger is only level 20, but I was running through early Egypt (Normal) last night, and came across a Mastery Shrine, remembered what I had read here on TQ.net and immediately disbanded and resummoned my two wolves.

It was immediately noticeable having the wolves so much closer to my level (they jumped to level 16 with the shrine), and we proceeded to tear things up :)

They still aren't the DPS machines I want them to be, but I am hoping time (and more skill points) will help with that.

That being said, I am definately going to build an Avenger this weekend and see about the goodness that the Core Dweller provides :rockon:

Sober_Sean
07-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Wolves would be 100% better with a "growl" or "taunt" like ability, no matter which way you spin it.

bbird
07-21-2006, 08:36 PM
The wolves are weapons that deal damage, while the dweller is a tool, that distracts the foes. The idea/concept about those pets is very different and thus comparing them in simply one task is fruitless. If you play with the wolves as a weapon, healing and supporting them, you won't draw aggro. If you want to deal damage yourself, go for the dweller. Wolves that taunt would be way too powerfull.

Sober_Sean
07-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah I agree with most of that, but I dont agree with the last part about them being overpowered if given the growl/taunt ability. It's not like Rangers are that overpowered to begin with and quite tricky to play well. Lot of button combos, summons to heal, nets to cast, pets to micromanage...having the mobs not constantly peel from your supposed front line with like I said at least a 50% boost or something would be useful and not imba.

As it stands now, Ranger being a ranged only class should pretty much learn to rely on not using scattershot at all if you want to effectively battle groups of mobs in legendary without having to play the rubberband/kiting game with every group.

Ranger should be considered more of a hybrid melee class with ranged abilities, at least the way I've specced, both in and out of the archery and javelin skills. The best way to handle the situation is to send in the pets, let them get some aggro, open up on your targets, run back and either thornbush and hope for the best or go javelin and shield and chug pots while your pets nip at the heels.

Not as fun really as Normal and Epic were when you could just use your bow pretty much from range with the occasional issue. Wolves could deal enough damage then to make a difference, now their aggro is too slippery and the dynamics of the class change. Needs something there to compensate to at least make the ranged variant of the "ranger" class as optimal at least as the melee version. Giving wolves some sort of way to hold aggro better would be key.

Felexitus
07-22-2006, 05:19 AM
the wolves definitely shouldnt get taunt because to help rangers, other nature builds are awfully strong, say champion, soothsayer, guardian. imo the wolves should stick to not getting any form of taunt, they are dps pets not tanks. they arent meant to tank, all they should to is take care of some adds. by the way if they would taunt i doubt one could keep up the healing.

ScottyBones
07-22-2006, 05:41 PM
the wolves definitely shouldnt get taunt because to help rangers, other nature builds are awfully strong, say champion, soothsayer, guardian. imo the wolves should stick to not getting any form of taunt, they are dps pets not tanks. they arent meant to tank, all they should to is take care of some adds. by the way if they would taunt i doubt one could keep up the healing.

The wolves are fine just the way they are now.

12-28-2009, 11:31 AM
no they are not.

p.s. live, ancient thread, LIVE!!!!

The Envenomed Kiss
12-28-2009, 12:27 PM
no they are not.

p.s. live, ancient thread, LIVE!!!!

A.) Necro
B.) Felexitus was right

12-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Felexitus

who's that:neutral: