PDA

View Full Version : Talos: Where Titan Quest ceases to be fun?

Morimus
07-17-2006, 09:19 AM
So I finally run into Talos in Epic with my melee spirit/rogue. He has two attacks that can stun for over two seconds, one of which fires at range. Death usually comes in two hits. Basically, death is guaranteed if he lands a stun.

How is this supposed to be a fun fight? If he hits me, I die. XP comes in so slowly that each death equals a lot of setback. It gets tedious having to hit once and run around in circles hoping your few ranged damage sources do something.

Marine OKeefe
07-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Just go around him and continue on, come back when your strong enough to fight him.

Celzia
07-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Only trick to beating him is to keep running and hitting him...its even better if you got means of slowing him down. With my Conquerer i can get 3-4 hits on him before i have to run away...takes 2 mins.
Know your enemy...

wemetintheair
07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Certain classes and skill builds have a very hard time with bosses like Talos; on the other hand, there may be some bosses you dispatch easily that would give a Talos-killer a very hard time. Just because something is a challenge doesn't mean it's not fun.

reggie
07-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Well took me a while also but the tactic is like this, im dual wield conqueror myself,...

If able then raise your stun resists as high as possible. But only to get past his fire and not die before you get close to him. However if you dont get stunned and have the tactic right once you can get close enough you wont need any fire, stun or lightning resist.

Anyway...

Just get to meelee range with him and keep meelee'ing him till he starts raising his foot. When this happens do 1 or 2 steps back. If you step back to far then after he's done with his lightning stomp he'll stun you with fire. If you stay to close his lightning stomp will kill you.

Thats basically the tactic, meelee and wait till he starts to raise his foot. Step back a bit and return to meelee again. Rince and repeat.

Prob handy to have some item on you with 8% dodge or so for his meelee hits.

Make sure you bring alot of potions coz for me he bugged and when i ported to town to buy more potions, or died and ran back, he was full hp again a few times.

Maybe its wise to first finish your lvl, he made me loose my entire lvl before i got the hang of the tactic.
If you just lvld at least you dont have xp to loose then.

Also he's not even worth the trouble to kill. He's got a chance to drop blue prob but hardly ever drops it unless yer lucky or feel like killing him 5 times or so to get a drop. Nor is he needed for a quest.

Kayden
07-17-2006, 10:22 AM
:whistle:... Don't get hit? :knockout:

So I finally run into Talos in Epic with my melee spirit/rogue. He has two attacks that can stun for over two seconds, one of which fires at range. Death usually comes in two hits. Basically, death is guaranteed if he lands a stun.

How is this supposed to be a fun fight? If he hits me, I die. XP comes in so slowly that each death equals a lot of setback. It gets tedious having to hit once and run around in circles hoping your few ranged damage sources do something.

Morimus
07-17-2006, 11:00 AM
So basically you either have to use some mindlessly tedious tactic, or one of the many more powerful options for engaging at range.

Edenex
07-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Just stand in that hallway and shoot him with a bow until he dies... He's too stupid to figure out how to get in there.

Armada
07-17-2006, 11:12 AM
I play hardcore so im kinda scared of reading this :S Guess i have to take him with bow when Colossus weres out.

Marine OKeefe
07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I play hardcore so im kinda scared of reading this :S Guess i have to take him with bow when Colossus weres out.

His most dangerous attack is a ranged attack, that reaches to the end of the screen. :lol:

Morimus
07-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Not really. If you are at range you have more time to move out of the way, not to mention he has to move in to use any of his other attacks.

Battles like this are just bad design, though. They force things like farming and abusing the braindead AI.

Chinfinigin
07-17-2006, 12:13 PM
OMG melee seam to have a hard time with this guy, i killed him so quick i didn't realise he has that many special moves (mage char) ah well. :)

Marine OKeefe
07-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Not really. If you are at range you have more time to move out of the way, not to mention he has to move in to use any of his other attacks.

Battles like this are just bad design, though. They force things like farming and abusing the braindead AI.

Not really? Not really what? You arnt disagreeing with anything. :knockout:

By the way I killed him and IronLore didnt force me to do anything to achieve this.

rah_pillage
07-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Initially i had the same problem with my melee hybrid Thane (warfare/storm). After dying about 10 times and just walking around the place wondering, "whats next" to do. I realized there was a passageway leading from the left side (the side you walk around before going up the steps then around the platform and down to meet talos) of where the talos master.

It looks like it's blocked by a tree limb or vines but you can actually go straight to the other side. Well the decent thing is, for some reason talos master can't come in there (maybe he's too big) and you can shoot him all day.

Lightning strike and arrows took him down for me... took no damage. :)

mrtuck73
07-17-2006, 12:41 PM
If you are a melee character on Epic, it is very important to have some means of slowing down your enemies. You will face more of these types of "boss" monsters on Epic and another on Legendary. They all have atleast one attack that can pretty much kill you in one shot! You have to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee! Stick n move!

Slowing down all enemies is a good tactic. If you are used to playing on Normal and letting yourself get surrounded and hack your way out then you are in for a rude awakening. On Epic you cannot allow yourself to get surrounded or you will be dead in an instant!!!

icehulk
07-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Come on now, Talos is a fluffy bear though. Just tickle him nicely, and take your time. It will fall down if you keep at it either in melee or at range. Tedious, yep, but take the hulking boltbucket down though so you can hear it fall down. I wish i could salvage all that metal if blacksmithing was a profession.

Now on the topic, i chose the hit & get out of stomp range - tactic.

Jasawyn
07-17-2006, 01:59 PM
1. "Chance to slow attacks by 66%"

2. Resists. Stun resists to be precise.

3. Collect phat lewtz.

edit: Also, it's always a good idea before a boss to wait for a ding just in case you screw up and get 1shot. Of course this isn't as easy when you need 2-3 mil xp per ding in the 50s+ but in Epic it won't take too long.

Hakuryu
07-17-2006, 03:24 PM
I agree with the poster above that said bad design. The AI is horrible (like Typhon standing there getting whacked with his chest puffed out for like 30 seconds at a time), and the only way to make it seem hard is to give these instant kill attacks on the lesser bosses.

I simply exploit the AI like hiding in a corner a boss cant reach to kill them, since the hit and run is extremely boring... why did they steal everything else from Diablo 2 and not the design of boss fights? D2 boss fights werent easy (at the level you are supposed to run them, not farming at high levels), but neither were they extremely frustrating with instant kill attacks you just had to hope you dodged.

Driden
07-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Conquerer - Had tons of trouble. Died about 3 or 5 times. I ended up just shield charging and running, mostly a counter attacker.

Champion - Sent my 3 wolves, cast Plague, threw down my standard, and just circle around him not close enough for him to stomp but not far enough for him to use fire. Just kept running around casting plague, and standard with refresh when needed, when my wolves take argo from me I attack Talos every now and then and run before the stomps. This strat will work with any equipment, zero hp potions. Good if you lack dps or resistances

MaximusMarillious
07-17-2006, 08:18 PM
i can kill him very easily now on both epic and legendary (lvl51 conq), the mini mobs do more damage to me than he does.

but yeah the amount of exp you lose when u die and the rate you get it back is pathetic, as i like the idea of trying to stay alive and not lose exp and keeps it a little fun for me i still hate the amount you lose in legendary ( almost a full 2 bars of exp) really drives me up the walls, because that 2 bars takes so damn long to get back.

tenabrae
07-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Biggest problem with talos is his attack animations are so fast, if you have any of the myriad graphical slowdowns, or are online with lag, you might as well just skip him or be prepared to bait him forever with a bow/spell

Javai
07-18-2006, 06:38 AM
We met Talos for the first time last night, after 3 deaths for my poor Paladin we remembered we'd found an item from Typhon with 110% stun resist. So my other half stuck that on his ranger and drew aggro then I ice sharded him to death from a distance (took some time but you can cope much better with his attacks if you at least don't get stunned by them!).

Barra
07-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I have some sort of method when I fight him - he generally swings two or three times between stomps (this changes if he gets a fire breath in), and I'd estimate the cooldown to be somewhere near 4 seconds on it. Probably THE BEST thing a melee user could get on this fella is a GET IN CLOSE skill (take down for example)
Here's a video you might want to look at :)
http://rapidshare.de/files/26161671/Talos.wmv.html

mrtuck73
07-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I am playing as a Conqueror and I just slow him down (I have a few items that slow attack speeds). I then stay in pretty close to him and only back out when he is about to stomp. When he is slowed down, it is simple to get out of the way. In fact, I am more concerned that I will close back in before he is done with his attack and get clobbered. Staying in close also causes him to never use his fire breath weapon.

This is the same tactic I use on the Manticore, The Dracolich, and I would bet it will work on the Hydra too (I am just not there yet)! Pretty much any boss and demi-boss.

Lillis
07-24-2006, 02:23 AM
I was a bit surprised to find that my Guardian managed to actually TANK Talos on Epic. i think I used 5-10 red pots in total. Took a few minutes.
Skills:
Heart of Oak (1)
Refresh (1)
Colossus Form (8)
Iron Will (6)
Batter (~5)
Rend Armor (8)
and 6 in each of the passive shield proc's.
I was CLVL 38 at the time with about 2800 HP, ~50 Lightning Resistance, ~95 Stun Resistance, and ~50 Skill Disruption Resistance. Using full Trojan set, Onager Axe, and Korybante Shield.
His foot-stomp did at most take away 1/3 of my life, but sometimes it only took 1/10 or so.
Wonder if I'll manage to do this on Legendary though, heh.

Dreamer
07-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Killing Talos, once I figured out how he worked, just took time. The hard part was the fact it wasn't just Talos. It was Talos, another unique, and a bunch of high level fodder. I died a few times just killing all of them.

reggie
07-24-2006, 09:43 AM
yeah if you are meelee go in meelee range. Once he raises his foot step back to be out of the short area lightning nuke. But dont step to far so you get stunned by his fire.

Then just step in again and continue to meelee and repeat the procedure.

Kain1234
07-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Just going to comment the topic: "Where Titan Quest ceases to be fun?"

I actually think it is the other way around, on normal there weren't any of those über-bosses around, no, you just slice through them like butter more or less. At least for my Qonquerer, I liked this boss a lot, I had to come up with a new strategy than just Colossus form -> Rally -> Charge -> Attack -> Heal if necessary. I had to use hamstring and a bow, I could survive even if I got stunned but I could hardly damage him, just standing there and take a serious beating. I would have died though if I coulden't use Healing potions while stunned. Anyway, I thought this boss was great and a lot of fun!

Hope I encounter more bosses like him.

probo
07-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I found it to be alot of fun every time I fought a boss that could instantkill me aslong as I managed to manually dodge their superattacks, made me feel like a great gamer and all.

But then I fought this other boss in act3 epic with my lvl 37 warrior and I couldnt beat him! Its not just that hes much harder imo than other bosses ive encountered but I also for some reason get a bit of game-lag there and it makes it even harder. I was at 75% exp on my level and after 5 deaths i was down to like 40% exp, so i figure i would level up first and then try him more so i couldnt lose more exp :)