PDA

View Full Version : What's the best pure caster class in the game.

Syrio
10-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Have a bunch of staves and no one to use them. So, evoker?

ASYLUM101
10-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Evoker is good, as is Elementalist.

You could also do a weird build, like caster spellbreaker (warfare + spirit) and go for maximum summons (permanent soldiers + outsider ftw!)

akaneko
10-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Imo Paladin

ASYLUM101
10-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Imo Paladin

Paladin isn't a pure caster that relies on a staff...

Syrio
10-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Evoker looks a little more involved then I prefer. Elementalist it is. Thanks for tips.

ASYLUM101
10-21-2011, 11:34 PM
o.O

I feel like an elementalist is more complex than the evoker.... but ok.

akaneko
10-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Paladin isn't a pure caster that relies on a staff...

A Staff doesnt make a caster. e.g. i dont think a Ternion char is a caster as he uses a weapon to blast away.

Paladin uses a shield but you can play it as pure iceshard caster. Thats pure magic use. And hes the only one who can get to melee range with iceshards so they can do their full portential in damage.

Syrio
10-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I suppose I meant pure caster in a stereotipical fantasy sense.

Syrio
10-29-2011, 09:44 PM
There is some conflicting information on these boards regarding the Oracle class. Some swear by the lich king others poo poo it. Is it possible to create an effective build around the deathchill aura tree and ternion attack with the storm mostly used for cc?

Medea Fleecestealer
10-30-2011, 04:36 AM
I would think so. Have a look at Poinas' Pwning with Spirit guide in the Spirit section of the Classes. It does recommend using the Liche King, but you don't have to. Storm's Wisp with its Eye of the Storm buff will help keep you alive.

If you want to use auras you could also have Spirit with Dream (Diviner) as Dream has 3 Trances to augment the Deathchill tree. Empathy and Wrath will deal damage to foes while Convalescence will help with health and energy regen. Empathy and Convalescence will also affect any pets you have, but Wrath doesn't. Dream also has other skills which are good for a caster.

Whatever you decide, I recommend downloading the fanpatch as this fixes many of the broken parts of the game, including the Ravages of Time synergy in the Deathchill Aura tree.

Anghammarad
10-30-2011, 01:02 PM
If you decide to try an Oracle, don't forget about Spell Breaker and its synergy...Awesome spell against certain bosses and all caster mobs.

Irma2
10-30-2011, 01:21 PM
There is some conflicting information on these boards regarding the Oracle class. Some swear by the lich king others poo poo it.

Liche King is a must for all Spirit builds imo. Some of the early guides may not have recommended taking it, but that was probably from before people realised how good Soul Blight is. I don't have a single Spirit that doesn't have LK and have it maxed.

iwantthehidra27
10-30-2011, 05:26 PM
imo you can survive normal without it.. :) atleast my hardcore oracle isn't going to :)

ASYLUM101
10-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Have a bunch of staves and no one to use them. So, evoker?

A Staff doesnt make a caster. e.g. i dont think a Ternion char is a caster as he uses a weapon to blast away.

Paladin uses a shield but you can play it as pure iceshard caster. Thats pure magic use. And hes the only one who can get to melee range with iceshards so they can do their full portential in damage.

Ahem.

Kinda something he mentioned. I know what a paladin is, I don't have 5000 posts cause I like eating shit.

Irma2
10-30-2011, 06:32 PM
imo you can survive normal without it.. :) atleast my hardcore oracle isn't going to :)

Yes. As with all pets, LK is not strong in Normal. In the later difficulties, it is mega.

LittleJoeRambler
10-30-2011, 07:23 PM
I don't know if I would say that Ternion characters aren't casters; Ternion and Ice Shards are pretty similar in their purpose and use: deal lots of damage over a large area really fast at the cost of massive energy. Ternion benefits from attack speed, Shards from casting speed, but honestly if a Sharder is a caster then I think you could probably classify a Ternion user as one too.

ASYLUM101
10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't know if I would say that Ternion characters aren't casters; Ternion and Ice Shards are pretty similar in their purpose and use: deal lots of damage over a large area really fast at the cost of massive energy. Ternion benefits from attack speed, Shards from casting speed, but honestly if a Sharder is a caster then I think you could probably classify a Ternion user as one too.

Technically, ternion is a caster too because shooting a single lightning bolt, as magical as that may be, is not as impressive as pushing out 3 magic bolts through your rod, and having them detonate.

Asheron
10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Technically, Hunter is an caster too, he shots detonating exploding arrows :p Especially with the Storm's aura on - lightning arrows are pretty magical for me.
But seriously, Ternion uses attack speed and relies on damage of the weapon, those are definitions of a fighter. The only thing that makes people classify Ternion user as a caster is that he uses Intelligence as main stat, but that doesn't makes melee Thane a caster now does it.

ASYLUM101
10-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Technically, Hunter is an caster too, he shots detonating exploding arrows Especially with the Storm's aura on - lightning arrows are pretty magical for me.

Technically a bow shoots arrows, not magic. Staff shoots pure energy.

The point is - the guy was asking for a use for his staves.

Asheron
10-31-2011, 02:39 AM
Yep, I know. Each has his own opinions about what makes a caster, so it's cool.

Still, he ain't gonna use much of his staves anyway - there is only one legendary staff and one MI that reduces recharge iirc and if going Ternion way with Oracle/Conjurer he's gonna take one fire/cold/lightning staff and stick with it to the end.

So, for a caster any combination of Earth, Storm and Dream is cool. For a caster with pet support, add Nature. For Ternion user, combine these with Spirit. You could even make a caster combined with fighter masteries, but these are your "default" mages.

Irma2
10-31-2011, 03:33 AM
Almost all of my casters use their staves quite a lot. What is the point of casting Eruption or using Ice Shards on one lone straggler left in a mob? It just eats up energy.

I also use my staff to crowd control, leech and debuff (MKT, Shen-Nong's, Anubis' Wrath, energy leech, Slower Attack relics, etc) before firing off my nuke spells. That's why I don't think I'll ever play a sword and shield Ice Shards Paladin or a dual Persephone's Ice Shard Thane. I want to have more than one viable attack. Both of my elemental Thanes, for example, have decent melee capability. So Shards is just one of their attacks, not the only one.

Zaptue
02-08-2012, 06:01 PM
I remember oracle being a ton of fun :). Imo, it's pretty forgiving for newer players in that it has defensive options for both ranged attackers and melee attackers, plus great options for dishing out truly sick damage with ternion/arcane lore, spellbreaker, & the outsider as a panic button/boss stomper. Just my 2c ;).