PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Arrows question

Brouhaha
10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Stumbled across this skill while browsing the paths with my newbie archer. It looks wonderfully strange, the kind of thing you'd have to build a character, or at least his gear, around!

Now this 'spell' is only castable when you're wielding a bow, I assume. It doesn't have any base damage and it doesn't use the base damage of your bow. So where do the phant arrows get their damage? The skill says it will pick up any magical -fixes on the bow. That makes perfect sense. Chillwind will add its cold damage to the spell. Now for the tough part: will other magical add-ons increase the damage? Will my Molten Orb artifact add fire and burn damage to the arrows? Will static rings add their damage as well? Will either of the passive archery skills (cruel arrows and Mind's archery skill) add their damage? I'm just trying to figure out how to kill bad guys with this skill :)

- Brouhaha

Brouhaha
10-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Now that I don't have a crying four year old in the room, I ran a couple of tests.

I forgot that the skill does have a %life reducer, so that'll hurt most enemies even if it won't take their last couple of hit points. That being said, Phantom Arrows used every last bit of magical damage that I was able to throw at it. Molten Orb, Chillwind, Storm Strike, and the Cruel Arrows skill all added their damages and other magical effects.

The only downside was the casting time. I saw the 0.2 second recast and though "Five volleys per second! Goodbye mana, hello chaos!" PA takes about a full second from click to release, however. So some faster caster gear or skills would be required.

I'm going to play with this some more!

- Brouhaha

Violos
10-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Since it is a spell, some casting speed should fix that. Like an occult ring, gives about +100%.

Basically, that skill is Throwing Knives.
- So it uses all damage additions except those on the bow.

P.S.:
Welcome to our forum!

ShadowLAnce
10-18-2011, 04:35 AM
Difficult skill to balance, and even though I'm not actively working on the mod, I do try to keep a list of major problems to work on if I ever get time. So let me know if it feels way too strong or weak.

Brouhaha
10-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Without having played that character extensively, I can at least give you my initial impressions:

1) The casting time seems very long for the attack skill. Something close to 0.6 seconds would be ideal, I think, as a player could put together +200 casting speed gear and match this skill's cast speed and initial cooldown.
2) The damage seems low, since you only get whatever non-base damage you can put together for your bow, which typically means some pysical damage and minor elemental/DoT stuff. The tradeoff is you can hit multiple foes, but the area of effect seems to be a somewhat tight cone, so you're not exactly blasting everything on the screen. Can you land multiple hits on a single target?
3) Hand of Chaos does a random effect per hit. Will each of the multiple phantom arrows that you get per casting count as a separate hit for spells like this, Earth Shaker or Black Hand?

So, yeah, I think the skills only needs a faster cast time and a solid guide to give players suggestions for gear and skills to synergize this attack with. It seems like you'd almost have to build a character around Phantom Arrows to really make it shine and I'd hate to think that mostly high level gear would be needed to really enjoy it.

- Brouhaha!

ShadowLAnce
10-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Short answer is I don't mind it being a hidden skill that is ambiguously powerful or weak. If I get time I'll try and play with it a little.