PDA

View Full Version : Ritualist skills

Enkidu of Abydos
06-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Because of an irritating :mad: lack of detailed explanations for the functioning of character skills in the game (and on www.titancalc.com and www.gamebanshee.com/titanquest/) I have to ask you the following :
1. Taking 1 point in Lucid Dream didn't affect my damage (52 DPS) at all (I'm using an ice / lightning staff) so obviously it's melee only (which I DIDN'T expect !) like Psionic Touch and Phantom Strike (Dream has too many melee-only skills IMHO) which also don't say they're melee only but I concluded as much. The question is will it affect Temporal Rift (if not it's useless to me) ?
2. Does Strength of the pack affect only wolves or the dryad, Nightmare and me too ? Does it's damage bonus affect any damage done by the affected creatures or only ordinary attacks ? Please state which is affected if not all :
-dryad piercing
-dryad elemental
-wolf base
-wolf maul piercing
-wolf maul bleeding
-wolf / dryad enemy health reduction
-nightmare psionic beam / dream surge normal damage
-nightmare psionic beam / dream surge vitality damage
-my staff elemental damage
3. Master Mind affects any damage of pets, right (says "+40% total damage") ?
4. Dream Surge description says 69 dmg + 69 vit. dmg (max.), is that for each projectile ? With 10 projectiles with 100% pass through capability, that could be 140x20 damage on a large mob ?

ASYLUM101
06-04-2011, 11:23 PM
. Taking 1 point in Lucid Dream didn't affect my damage (52 DPS) at all (I'm using an ice / lightning staff) so obviously it's melee only (which I DIDN'T expect !) like Psionic Touch and Phantom Strike (Dream has too many melee-only skills IMHO) which also don't say they're melee only but I concluded as much. The question is will it affect Temporal Rift (if not it's useless to me) ?

...herp?

It says it increases damage, not total damage, and not elemental damage. Just damage, and vitality damage. (and electrical burn, but no weapon deals that as base anyway) Basically, it boosts all your spell damage that deals electric burn and your melee hits, that is ALL. I don't remember if it has any effect on spells which deal physical damage like Distort Reality, but I believe it does. Any other similar damage types are most definitely scaled. (ebd, vitality, etc)

2. SotP affects anyone near the wolves. It only increases the damage type it says. Damage types are all labeled by what type they are, if there is none, it's physical.

3. Yes.

4. Dream Surge sucks. But yes it is per projectile.

Enkidu of Abydos
06-05-2011, 12:29 AM
...herp?
Ha ?

It says it increases damage, not total damage, and not elemental damage. Just damage, and vitality damage. (and electrical burn, but no weapon deals that as base anyway) Basically, it boosts all your spell damage that deals electric burn and your melee hits, that is ALL. I don't remember if it has any effect on spells which deal physical damage like Distort Reality, but I believe it does. Any other similar damage types are most definitely scaled. (ebd, vitality, etc)

So lightning damage isn't electrical burn damage ? That's illogical...
So it's for melee and Temporal Rift electrical burn. For now it's getting removed as soon as I find a mystic. Who would have known lightning isn't electrical...

2. SotP affects anyone near the wolves. It only increases the damage type it says. Damage types are all labeled by what type they are, if there is none, it's physical.

Well spears and arrows are definitely physical, certainly not virtual :), but piercing still doesn't count as physical damage like lightning doesn't count as electrical damage ?
That's pretty disapointing, it turns it won't improve my dryad's damage at all (except through increased speed), nightmare only partially and wolves only base damage and not maul... Master Mind seems better in total improvement per point.

4. Dream Surge sucks.
[/QUOTE]
It sure doesn't seem that way from where I'm standing. Certainly not a boss killer but a nice mob attack. Though with pets bosses are much more of a problem than mobs...
And I forgot to ask, do the projectiles spread out all around or in a cone or what ?

One more question, do item drop chances decrease with farming ?
Because in the spider cave after Sparta I got 3 relic fragments on my first pass but later when I tried to farm it for more relics I never got that many relics in one go. It's really tough trying to finish a relic / charm... But that cave did make me rich, one pass through that cave is worth a thousand hours of slaying through the lands around it...

Irma2
06-05-2011, 04:45 AM
The only way to do decent damage with pets is to wear pet jewelry/staves like Invoker's or Ritualist's and then to boost it with the relevant skills - Strength of the Pack if you're wearing Physical jewelry, Eye of the Storm for Elemental, or try to get monsters within Necrosis range for Vitality. The pet damage on its own isn't enough.

Iirc Master Mind only increases the base damage of pets, it doesn't affect the damage increases they get in Epic and Legendary. So, like Heart of Oak (which only buffs their base health, not the increased health in Epic and Legendary), it's not as effective for pets as it looks.

Afaik mob drop chances don't change with repeated running. I run Tower of Judgment a lot for Tortured Soul and the drops are random. Sometimes you can do four runs without a single shard dropping, then you get three from the first two mobs you kill on the next run.

Bosses get slightly better drops on the first run but I wouldn't even factor that into my thinking. I never run Talos so all the drops I get from him are the 'superior' first-kill drops. And I don't recall ever getting a purple item from him. I'm sure that if I'd farmed him, I would have got loads of purple items by now.

I generally find when farming bosses that my first run is very, very, very seldom the best one. If I do twenty runs, the best drop could come anywhere - run 3, 11, 12, 20, 6, 10, it's random. I can often get yellow junk six or seven runs in a row from Hydra, then hit the jackpot with three purples on the eighth run.

So if you want the best items, you will need to farm. Relying on getting them due to the superior drop rates on the first kill of bosses won't do it.

Medea Fleecestealer
06-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Why do you think Psionic Touch and Lucid Dream are melee only? My Prophet uses both and he's definitely dealing damage (at least the icon shows up in the top left corner when they're working). Have you got Psionic Touch on the LMB? That's the best place for it. Or am I wrong, Irma2, and they do only work for melee.

Yeah, it is peculiar that electrical burn isn't lightning, but lightning is the next best thing to use. You will find a few items that have electrical burn, but they are very few.

Irma2
06-09-2011, 07:23 AM
I think that, by "melee", the OP means "physical damage". However, Psionic Touch boosts all damage types and Lucid Dream boosts Physical, EBD and Vitality. So neither is "physical damage only".