PDA

View Full Version : Can we hire Mercenaries in the full game?

Andrew the Legit SP
05-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know if players will be able to hire mercenaries
in the full game?

Without some kind of tank/meat shield, I just can't see
archers and spellcasters being viable in single-player.

Also, there are a lot of auras and buffs that would be great
to share with a hireling.

Blackjack
05-18-2006, 08:43 AM
I forget which thread it was answered in (developer Q&A thread I think, but it's 30 pages long so I can't find the reference in any sane amount of time :)), but no you can't hire mercenaries. There are pets and things like the Hunter's decoy that'll do fine as a "meat shield." :) Plus several "crowd control" skills.

Sneaky Bastard
05-18-2006, 05:05 PM
From what I have discovered in the demo, I cant think of any character class not being powerfull on the battle field. As it is, I think the demo is way too easy.

s

Blackjack
05-18-2006, 06:34 PM
It's called "Easy" mode. :) I assume the other two modes aren't as pushover-y.

frankenparrot
05-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Nice lingo Blackjack...clear and too the point. Too bad for mercs though...guess I will have to not waste money on resurecting them when they get stomped.

frankenparrot
05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
By the way Blackjack...that wasn't a slam. It really was great lingo!!!

Mivo
05-19-2006, 12:26 AM
I liked mercs because you could "store" neat uniques on them -- saved room on the mules. ;) I think most masteries will offer a pet/minion, so that should do. Who knows, maybe the expansion will bring "real" mercs.

Tjukkie
05-19-2006, 06:18 AM
From what I have discovered in the demo, I cant think of any character class not being powerfull on the battle field. As it is, I think the demo is way too easy.

s

According to a Dev, the challenge begins 30-60min. after the demo. In the full game that is.

Andrew the Legit SP
05-19-2006, 08:58 AM
I agree that the demo is easy enough for now.

But as a veteran Diablo II Strafeazon, I know that as soon as
the monsters get within arms reach, I will die.

If I can keep the monsters three feet off my bow, they will die.

So unless I can find some kind of meat shield, I will be playing
melee chars in Titan Quest rather than archers or mages.

frankenparrot
05-19-2006, 09:23 AM
If you are going to play a hunter...don't they have a dummy that you can throw down? I am not sure what it can get up to in power or something like that, but that should help.

Tjukkie
05-19-2006, 09:35 AM
The dummy rocks :happy: later on your dummy and explode and deal AoE dmg

Andrew the Legit SP
05-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Well, yes, there is a Monster Lure, but I don't want to be casting it
every few seconds. I want my Valkyrie, and my merc, to spot enemies
before I do, and move to engage them. Then I can right-click on
the ground, hold down the button, and spray arrows using Strafe's
auto-target feature until everything is dead.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the Titan Quest demo. I would have bought
the full game last week if it was available. I will play it, probably a lot,
but I won't be playing Hunters.

koll
05-19-2006, 02:34 PM
No mercs.It's verry disapointing that i see all these features that even a 7 year old game has but they just didn't put in the game....(stash,mercs,blood,ability to change your skills with your mouse,)But i see verry few that are new and inventive.(Item filter,compare item window and the fact that the monsters can drop their items they are useng and wearing)and most of those are not really new features just good ones.Anyone else feel the same?

Pyremes
05-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I feel like everybody wants Titan Quest to be exactly like Diablo 2, before they've even played the full version of Titan Quest. I think people should instead appreciate Titan Quest for its merits as its own game, instead of regarding it as Diablo 3 and thinking of how it "lost" features from Diablo 2.

But as a veteran Diablo II Strafeazon, I know that as soon as the monsters get within arms reach, I will die.

And I wouldn't so quickly discount the Hunter as unviable. The devs said that Hunters are quite lethal later on. You can't expect to play it exactly as a D2 Amazon, you'll probably have to learn new strategies to go with it. In any case, before we have the full version, I think it's too early for people to really judge the classes.

Andrew the Legit SP
05-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Thank you, Pyremes.

I was just about to post something along the same lines of thought.
You are correct that TQ should be judged on its own merits,
and that it is far too early for such judgements in any case.

-------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, if Blizzard had just given us Diablo 3 instead of WoW,
we wouldn't be having this conversation right now, and I wouldn't need
to buy another computer game for the next five years...

Mivo
05-19-2006, 03:28 PM
I feel like everybody wants Titan Quest to be exactly like Diablo 2, before they've even played the full version of Titan Quest. I think people should instead appreciate Titan Quest for its merits as its own game, instead of regarding it as Diablo 3 and thinking of how it "lost" features from Diablo 2.

I'm a little guilty of that, too. D2 was one of those rare games that grabbed you and kept you firmly under its spell for years. The combination of features was just right, and even though some have tried, no other game managed to trigger the same feeling and the same lasting addiction. Still, even the best game eventually gets long in the tooth. In case of D2 the "longness" didn't come from the gameplay, which always stayed fresh and exciting (strangely).

What eventually happened is that avid players knew every place in the game, entertained a personal relationship even with the most elusive monster, and had found just about every item, even the ones that hid at the bottom of the loot table. I prolonged the freshness of the game by playing in hardcore mode, but the above happened even then. So, what I look for, deep down, is a game just like D2, with new content (not new gameplay). TQ is very close to offering that, and that actually seems to have been the goal, too, which explains why a lot people ask for the "missing features" also.

It's probably a bit unfair to TQ and its developers, but TQ is not just a clone, but also a game of its own right.

frankenparrot
05-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Excellent post Cironir!!! That was worded perfectly. D2 spoiled everyone that loved the game. I will be honest. TQ really has been the only game in recent memory that has made me excited to buy a new game. And, on the same token, I like it because of the differences, slight in stature, that it offers. Also I like it because it is not D2, and that is saying a lot.

koll
05-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Excellent post Cironir!!! That was worded perfectly. D2 spoiled everyone that loved the game. I will be honest. TQ really has been the only game in recent memory that has made me excited to buy a new game. And, on the same token, I like it because of the differences, slight in stature, that it offers. Also I like it because it is not D2, and that is saying a lot.
Well i like it for the things that remind me of d2,not the things that don't.From what i've read and heard it seems to me that the majority of hns fans want diablo2 but better as well they should,after all a game in the same genra should be better 7 years later, not missing features that defined the genra.

koll
05-21-2006, 04:34 PM
I was watching the e3 video and heard the guy playing tq say that with the right class combo you could have arround 5 or 6 pets..just thought id mention it,sounds good to me :P

Gorkk
05-21-2006, 05:39 PM
I was watching the e3 video and heard the guy playing tq say that with the right class combo you could have arround 5 or 6 pets..just thought id mention it,sounds good to me :P
That combo surely involves nature, as nature has wolf and nymph, with the ability to call several wolves with a certain amount of points in it (2 at level 6, 3 at level 12, and I guess 4 if you managed to get a +3 to it while having maxed it, eg. at level 18/15).

However, I don't see any other mastery with more than one summon, as Spirit's Summon Outsider is a time limited summon (like Call of the Ancestors from Warfare), so it has only the Lich King, and both Earth and Storm only have 1 summon.

So, with any of the three (Storm, Spirit, Earth) together with Nature, you'll be able to get 5 pets, maybe more with +skills gear for the wolves.

Lucifer
05-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Back to the Hunters....

Before you get a letha hunter in later , you can chose a another mastery that can make your char likes tanker or summoner .
So , hunter will have a bright future ahead :D ( which is depend on your build ;) )

frankenparrot
05-22-2006, 07:45 AM
They had bettered...depending on what bow/spear you get that is.:whistle: