PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to get TQ noticed?

Ion Silverbolt
05-18-2006, 12:51 AM
With this game coming out in just over a month, I really haven't seen much hype about it floating around. No one seemed to cover any inforamation about it in their E3 coverage. Is it because it was there last year or something? Or is the majority of the gaming community ready to move on from Diablo-like gaming?

They seem to be advertising. I have seen a full page ad in Maximum PC the last few months. But other than that, coverage has been poor as far as gaming websites go as well as gamers in general. More people seem interested in other new titles.

I would say what talk I have seen about the game, 90% of people who post about it really liked the demo and intend on buying the game. Will TQ be a sleeper hit, or will it be a great game no one plays like Butcher Bay?

I really want to see this game succeed if it is really fun. And from what I can tell so far, it will be. But will that be enough?

Maybe they need a half naked chick in armor for their box art..hehe That seems to be the trend these days.

Lestai
05-18-2006, 01:49 AM
Well you won't see the half naked chick as she will have a tunic on that covers her up. *crys*

But you could advertise TQ for them, im sure they won't mind. ;)

Big hugs,
lestai

Mivo
05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
A (the?) target audience is the D2 community. I mentioned it in some related newsgroups on Usenet (similar to forums, but not quite the same), and most people had never heard of TQ. After they learned of it, though, interest was high, and some people pre-ordered it straight away. I hadn't heard about it before someone mentioned it in a RPG discussion area.

DaveyJJ
05-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I've seen ads in all of the major PC gaming publications now and several online banner ad spots too.

Karmeck
05-19-2006, 04:33 PM
A (the?) target audience is the D2 community. I mentioned it in some related newsgroups on Usenet (similar to forums, but not quite the same), and most people had never heard of TQ. After they learned of it, though, interest was high, and some people pre-ordered it straight away. I hadn't heard about it before someone mentioned it in a RPG discussion area.

It's The not A.

Blackjack
05-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Due to Fileplanet's heavily demo promotion, it's been the most downloaded file at Fileplanet the last few days. Good word of mouth (by lots of people, granted :)) is better than frantic advertising and overhyping. I can name 20 games in the past year where the ads promised the world, and the game, or the AI, etc. didn't deliver.

If TQ is half as good as first impressions and game previewer's hands-on impressions suggest, then there should be plenty of good word of mouth.

I've seen plenty of previews and magazine advertising. If the sales don't meet expectations, I won't blame THQ, as they seem to have genuine affection for the game and are doing pretty heavy promotion.

I don't think TQ had a chance to make much impression at this year's E3 cause the new console platforms were hogging the spotlight so much.

I will admit that much of my attempts to convince fellow D2 fans to get excited about this haven't gotten very far yet. I convinced a few folks to try the demo, but I don't think they share my excitement yet. A lot of disappointing "the next Diablo" and "Diablo killer" and "Diablo clone" games means they have a lot of skepticism to overcome.

I remember making a lot of excited posts about Sierra's Throne of Darkness a few years back, because I was absolutely sure it was "the next Diablo." It wasn't -- it was a disappointing mess, imho.

But Titan Quest -- I love the demo. I think this time my early feelings about the game are correctly positive and I won't be disappointed this time. :)

Still, the full TQ game will have to deliver for some to be convinced. :)

Ion Silverbolt
05-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Due to Fileplanet's heavily demo promotion, it's been the most downloaded file at Fileplanet the last few days. Good word of mouth (by lots of people, granted :)) is better than frantic advertising and overhyping. I can name 20 games in the past year where the ads promised the world, and the game, or the AI, etc. didn't deliver.

But Titan Quest -- I love the demo. I think this time my early feelings about the game are correctly positive and I won't be disappointed this time. :)

Still, the full TQ game will have to deliver for some to be convinced. :)

That's great news about the demo. I read a thread about the game at HardOCP and there was a lot of positive praise. The action RPG player should love this game. I checked a RPG forum aad noticed mixed reviews. I guess it's not RPGish enough for some. The main bag they had was it was the lack of a rotating camera of all things though.
I really believe this game will deliver. The skills for one have convinced me that the developers are determined to make the game great. Plus, you can tell the developers really care about the game. Which I think will show in the final product.

As far as what made me notice the game, last years E3 preview caught my attention as it got positive praise. Been keeping tabs on it ever since.

Blackjack
05-20-2006, 10:03 AM
I run a message board for my City of Heroes SG and have been mentioning TQ in our "general chat" area. What's funny is I mentioned the demo of a pretty mediocre Diablo clone a while back (Space Hack by a Russian dev I think) in one thread. And an SG mate says something to the effect of "eh it's pretty bad. If you want a good Diablo type game, you should try the Titan Quest demo!" I guess he didn't read my thread on that. ;)

I invited him over here as well.

It's still #1 at Fileplanet (38,493 downloads and counting :)):
http://www.fileplanet.com/

Now obviously that's a promotion that's playing it up. But, I've found if a game demo's not well received, it won't stay at that rank for long (word of mouth :)) even if an ad is shoved in everyone's face or a file listing is played up, so, it's a good sign I think that it's been #1 a few days.

Felix_Niebuhr
05-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I think its great to hear that this game has gotten all that interest. People are craving the DII like gameplay, with all it got. The MF-ing, the tweaking, the dueling, the action in partys and so on and so on. Why TQ is the first to take all these good things and make their own game I dont know. For me its not being copycats. If that was so then every RTS since I dont know when could be called nothing but a copy. But it aint so, the games are evolving and getting better.

TQ lacks in some aspects, like multiplay, no pvp, and haven`t improved on muling. But if the game is getting this word of mouth reputation, and goes big, then thats the best thing that can happen in terms of seeing these improvements implemented. To the developers, dont think of your game as a copy, think of it as taking the ball and running with it! Blizzard has fumbled long enough. KEEP AND IMPROVE!

Lestai
05-20-2006, 05:06 PM
If i can think back to how blizz put it when accused of stealing warhammers idears they used the term they was inspired by that game, so you can't say TQ or any other H&S game is a stealing there idears.

TQ's day is coming and good see its getting alot of attention. :)

Big hugs,
Lestai

mlaird
05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Maybe a good scandal could get TQ some attention.

Maybe we'll be able to find the forgotten Leda & the Swan quest, maybe Hercules' extracurricular activities are brought into question, or maybe there's a "find the suitable bride for Pharoh" quest, sheesh, sources of historical references that could cause an uproar are endless!

ToiMoi
05-24-2006, 02:02 PM
perhaps our male/female char has to do a shady quest concerning nefertiti.. getting her a staff of pleasure or smt. and gets caught with it. using it on nefertiti :shifty:

yeah i agree. lot'sa scandal material here. :lol: :rockon:

Mivo
05-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Diablo borrowed heavily from the Nethack/Rogue-type of games. Well, I don't think Blizzard will make a fuss about TQ. If they did, that would be the perfect marketing support for TQ. ;) Since there is no D3 on the horizon (can't have anyone stop paying for WoW...), Blizzard can't complain anyway.

Digit
05-25-2006, 12:09 AM
I always found that interesting about Starcraft and Warhammer. I mean, a friend got some books from e-bay on Warhammer a while back, and the cover art is almost identical in style and content, to that of some scenes from Starcraft. I don't think Blizzard will ever openly admit to anything, but I liked Starcraft a little less when I found out about Warhammer, as I always thought it was so incredibly unique.

Anyhow, as regards to TQ, I sure hope the publisher is good. I am not sure who is doing it here in Australia, apparently our pre-order doesn't come with the awesome art book, which makes me want to download the game while I order it from the US to get my cool book. But I am not sure that's a nice thing to do... >_<;;

Digit
====
Forum fly...

Mivo
05-25-2006, 01:39 AM
The German pre-order version doesn't contain an art book, either, and I'm not overly happy about it. Oh a brighter note, the release date for the German version is still June 8th, and more and more game vendors list it with that date on their main pages. But the devs already said it willl be end of the month, so I'm clinging to false hopes here! :)

frankenparrot
05-25-2006, 07:43 AM
So, looks like I may be taking a littel sojourn to Germany to pick me up a copy if that release date is indeed true. Keep that posted Cironir if that holds true!!!

Lyntan
05-25-2006, 11:52 AM
There must be someone here involved with the Diablo 2 community. Do we know how much attention Titan Quest is getting from that area right now?

mlaird
05-25-2006, 12:21 PM
is that a rhetorical question?
Or are you saying TQs getting lots of good attention?
I hope the latter.

I'm pretty psyched... not just becuase I'm an ancient history dork, but I'm hopeful that the class-blending system will keep TQ from becoming the "sink all your skill points into 1 attack style" that ultimately got me bored of right-clicking my way through DII and Sacred for the 50th time.

But... I'm psyched by the trailer for Sacred II, as well. Bye-bye work.

ToiMoi
05-25-2006, 01:39 PM
sacred 2 will take some time tho.. it *might* make it as a christmas pressie at least that's the word out at the SIF, supposed to be said by mirko, but he also said it's more realistic to think 2007 Q1/Q2.

but i'm curious about sacred 2 too, i just hope a full ascaron game is less buggy than one only made half by them :p

Lyntan
05-27-2006, 07:31 AM
is that a rhetorical question?
Or are you saying TQs getting lots of good attention?
No, I honestly don't know anything of the Diablo 2 community. 'tis a genuine question. :)

ToiMoi
05-27-2006, 09:47 AM
more wallpapers like this will get it noticed! http://img.majidonline.com/pic/18787/Titan%20Quest.JPG
damn he looks angry :eek:

Ivan The Terrible
06-06-2006, 11:22 PM
i dont understand y som ppl get so anoyed by games that 'copy' a good feature of another game. if thats a good feature then y is it bad 2 see it in another game?

DaveyJJ
06-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

lucasgarsha
06-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Cironir, glad to see someone here knows NetHack and Rogue. I was feeling a bit grey. | @ |

Word of mouth is HUGE for gaming (as it is for cinema and other forms of entertainment). Pro reviewers (who are often influenced by ad money) and ad blitzes certainly help, but if the game isn't well received by players, its DOA.

I have a canary in the case. Shortly after release, I will know if TQ will be a smash hit.

I will show it to my older brother. He will only play hack-n-slash, and he still only plays D2 to this day. Every other game I've showed him has been rejected. If he likes it, it will surely be a hit (he's like a golden ear, only for hack-n-slash).

Kind of like Mikey and that breakfast cereal...
[Kix? Hmm, memorable ad, but I don't remember the product, hmm]

bildo84
06-07-2006, 01:53 PM
sacred 2 will take some time tho.. it *might* make it as a christmas pressie at least that's the word out at the SIF, supposed to be said by mirko, but he also said it's more realistic to think 2007 Q1/Q2.

but i'm curious about sacred 2 too, i just hope a full ascaron game is less buggy than one only made half by them :p

Sacred Gold cleaned up a truck load of those bugs luckily... but by then the game had already disappeared from most shelves, and been filed away into HnS fan-scurity. Here's hoping S2 is indeed going to fair much better. I loved Sacred, despite it's flaws... and the expansion dwarf class was a HOOT!

DaveyJJ
06-07-2006, 03:49 PM
[Kix? Hmm, memorable ad, but I don't remember the product, hmm]

Life. Mikey.

http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_mikey.htm

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_(cereal)

lucasgarsha
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Life. Mikey.
Ah yes. See, ads only get you so far. Life, the cereal, couldn't live up to Life, the ad machine.

Dharken
06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
<Dr Evil>100 hundred BILLION dollars! Muhuhahahahahaah!</Dr Evil> or advertising should work :D

I believe Tribes: Vengeance suffered due to under advertising...