PDA

View Full Version : Games and their influence

Laurrrr
09-17-2010, 03:50 AM
I am in a hurry so i will post my opinion later.But until that you see kids that suicide or kill because they saw that in a game.
So,the games ever influenced you,you learned something from them etc.
But please,no trolling(Raven i am looking at you).
Discuss.

CrocMagnum
09-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Onto the subject:

- only a retard could be badly influenced by videogames. Some lawers used it to make some buzz though: but that's a wimpish argument to say the least.

- Deus Ex introduced me to the cyberpunk genre (yeah 20-years late, I know...) But I can't thank developpers enough for this,

- Vampire The Masquerade & Bloodines got me interested in the WhiteWolf universe and their incredible back-story.

- With No One Lives Forever I learned that a shooter could be much more: it was a ton of fun and the dialogues were well-written ('60 atmosphere highly influenced by the movie Austin Powers).

Note: not very nice for Raven! He hasn't done anything (yet).

Violos
09-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Ugh. I hope that's not contagious.

As for the bad, bad ideas games gave me...

- Space Quest 2 taught me english vocabulary before school did.
- Sim City 2k made me sensitive to the balance of needs between industry and individuals.
- Modding Half-Life and others made me delve into game design.
- Stronghold: Crusader got me interested in the hows and whys of castle architecture, the history of the real crusader castles, and lately on a trip to Syria.

Just to name a few.

P.S.: Oh yeah. And for a girl to accept your proposal, The Sims teaches us that she first needs to have a shower, a comfortable seat, good food, some fun, and a pee. :D

ASYLUM101
09-17-2010, 08:33 AM
P.S.: Oh yeah. And for a girl to accept your proposal, The Sims teaches us that she first needs to have a shower, a comfortable seat, good food, some fun, and a pee.

LOL - oh how I hated that in Sims

Batman
09-17-2010, 08:35 AM
P.S.: Oh yeah. And for a girl to accept your proposal, The Sims teaches us that she first needs to have a shower, a comfortable seat, good food, some fun, and a pee. :D

WOOHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll remember that, thanks for the heads-up.

Violos
09-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Why? Once you saw through the mechanics, you could have a new wife every couple of days.

Just like in life.
Well, almost. ;)

night_rider3108
09-17-2010, 09:05 AM
assassins creed 2 - when i complete game i want be assassin :D

Batman
09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Duke Nukem taught me how to reload a shotgun underwater and how to appreciate the ladies.

Thanks Duke, and we'll see you again soon.

"Come get some..."

ASYLUM101
09-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Just like in life.
Well, almost.

Yeah, "almost"...

And Duke is the greatest hero ever. Oh how I loved saying those catch phrases back in the day to unknowing people...

CrocMagnum
09-17-2010, 09:44 AM
I agree! When I think badass I think Duke! Come to think of it Duke Nukem 3D taught us so many things:

- using a WC could refill your HP!! :eek:,

- always be on the lookout for Secrets (to this day I've yet to find a Shooter with as much hidden areas),

- how to be mesmerized by your own "goodlookingness" when facing a mirror: "D**n! I'm looking good!",

- Some of the funniest quote to this day:

≠ Nobody steals our chicks... and lives! ,

≠ You're an inspiration for birth control,

≠ Hmm, don't have time to play with myself. (when facing a Duke Nukem II arcade machine),

Laurrrr
09-17-2010, 12:37 PM
I found interesting that you guys talks only about what they helped you not about those kids that are playing GTA,CS,ETC.

For me,well:
-If it weren't the games then i wouldn't have my passion for history,English,programming,books.
-I learned tactics by playing Shogun:Total War.
-I learned about friendship,betrayal from the Mafia games.
-Titan Quest started my passion for mythology.
-Thanks to Tropico and city-building games,i learned economy,and i think myself more good than the Romanian government.
-I learned about the weapons from the FPS games.Right now weapons are one of my passion.
-Their music made me to renounce at Romanian Rap which sucks.
-The Rpg's teach you to have a scope in life
-The racing games teach you about cars

Now when i see those kids playing GTA,CS,Metin2,those games don't teach you anything.

GTA(except 4) teaches you how to kill someone with a chainsaw.
How cool is that?

GTA 4 was an exception because was an awesome game that showed how the Eastern-Europeans are threated there.
My whole life was at the PC,i am still young but meh...

When i am gonna have my kids i will let them to play GTA or other at 13-14.

For the bad,well:
-they can destroy your life if you don't know how to play them
-you must be an idiot if you want to grab an UZZI and shoot people like in GTA or CS.

The games started my passion for most of the things,but you must know how to dose them,if you are an retard that don't makes the difference between the reality and the virtual world then don't play.

But...what do i know?

Raven.rpg
09-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Oblivion-taught me english vocabulary
dark crusade-showed me how we can be cruel
ALPHA PROTOCOL-showed me how stupid game can be and that I will not buy anything else from Obsidian

Laurrrr
09-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Here we go again...

Raven.rpg
09-17-2010, 06:14 PM
yes :D

bonobo4
04-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Sorry for necroing. ;)

Anyway, I think games have improved my knowledge and interest in many things greatly, but not completely.
Titan Quest has taught me about Mythology and inspired me, but is not full-on fact, nor is it everything you need to know.
Gran Turismo (2-5) inspired me in cars and their workings.
Rock Band 3 gave me a musical taste and interest in guitars/basses.
Medal of Honour gave me an interest in weapons and Wars.
Total War games got me interested in history.

And the bad but (sometimes) funny points:
Call of Duty has taught me that you CAN shoot a .50 calibre Sniper without ear protection, bipod or muzzle flash hider, without being noticed/killing yourself.
Call of Duty has taught me that the best method in war is to grab an MG and go mental.
Call of Duty has taught me that soldiers heal quickly.
Call of Duty has taught me that soldiers have a lot of strength and carrying capacity.

I dislike MP in CoD. ;)

mnoel23
04-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Videogames have taught me that if I make a bad moral decision in real life, I can just reload and fix it. In fact, I hear the cops coming for me right now, so I think I'll do that. reload! Reload! Reload! OMG! RELOAD! IT'S NOT WORKING! OMG NO DONT TAKE ME AWAAA jdklsaf;lsdf.,

Deathshadow
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
In my attempt to reawake the forums, and this section, I became a thread necro.

Let's start with the basics. What is the most basic thing a game can teach us? When a gamer looks at the question, he sees a pretty clear, obvious question. However, when a person who doesn't play games see this question, first though is get a life, which is also one of the most common thoughts when you say that you play games, or are a gamer. But we already knew that.

Now as I said basics. The first basic thing is that it teaches you English. Lets be honest, most of games we play are on English. I can say that it showed me and taught me more English then my teacher could ever have. Sometimes I find it easier to express in English then in my own language.

We can't say the games taught us anything, but they awoke some interest in the specified thing. It showed us something most of us already knew from the real life.

But let's say games can you teach you new stuff. If that was what could we REALLY learn from games? Reload before walking in a room full of terrorists? Hide behind a wall and shoot, using blind fire?

Can games teach you tactics? No they can show you tactics, maybe start an urge to learn more, and then you search and study to learn the tactics.
Can they teach you friendship or betryal (sorry Laurrrr for taking all of your examples) You already knew the meanings of those words, they just expressed it through animations, and "real" game life.

Games taught us there is world, where you can be what you want. In which almost everything is possible. We learned from that world. We interacted with it, and from it we extracted knowledge. Some of which we had before, as I said, and some new things. Games taught us that one person can change the course of life, can change his fate (Prince of Persia says Hi). It taught us that one person can unite the masses to fight the opposing evil (Hey there Mass Effect 3 which was really quite short, and I hope they make Mass Effect 4, since they did unnofficially annaunced it).
Ok only game that can teach you something, besides thinking games, is Age of Mythology, since it has the full Mythology info on every unit, god and so on.

In conclusion this is my opinion, as a gamer. May sound strange to you, but hey I don't give a shit :p

Anyhow hope you enjoyed it, and I would really want to hear more people on this thread, talking about this.

bonobo4
03-14-2012, 01:02 PM
I've certainly learnt lots of history from the Total War series. :)

Deathshadow
03-14-2012, 01:08 PM
I've learned that Alien sex is the only reason people are playing Mass Effect.

Medea Fleecestealer
03-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I learned quite a bit about Chinese history playing Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. And other city building games and economy based games gave me a better understanding of economy and trading, especially between nations. I don't know about ya'll but I would never have learned any of that in my middle America schools. The closest we got to that was learning a foreign language and that was an optional extra rather than a mandatory class. Probably why my French has never improved beyond that first optional one year class! :errf:

Violos
03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Ok only game that can teach you something, besides thinking games, is Age of Mythology, since it has the full Mythology info on every unit, god and so on.

It does not stop there. As Medea's example shows, games can get you interested in all kinds of stuff you would not have looked up without the initiative.

Probably mentioned before, but the best examples lately would be Civilization and Fate Of The World.
The first gives you a glimpse of all the cool stuff makind came up with throughout the ages, while the second makes you scour wikipedia for background info on very current issues, because you want to know what it means when you make decisions like "Advocate Biochar".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN0qRKjfX3s

I found it cute when James from EC talked about his life in one episode, and said "I've been to almost every Civ wonder that is still standing". Every gamer could immediately relate to that. And the amount of people who grew up with computers as a normal part of their lives is growing all the time.

And the world is slowly realizing this. Also thanks to developments "true" gamers tend to frown upon, like casual or family games, your "usual reaction" is becoming less and less popular.
Then suddenly it is not a sign of coolness anymore if you have never even heard of WoW, whether you care about it or not. Or a sign of virtue if you are among those politicians who reject the internet and still make their secretary print out their emails.

People who like to confuse cause and effect when kids who fantasize about shooting their teachers also play similar games... probably do this because people still alienated by the subject tend to believe them. It is, after all, an easy scapegoat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blame_Canada) for all kinds of problems.

But their numbers are dwindling. So just hang in there.

Medea Fleecestealer
03-15-2012, 02:53 AM
It's just the latest in a long list really. Bet there's still quite a few of you who, like me, remember the furore about Elvis the Pelvis when he first became famous. Then it was D&D and now video games.

Personally I would much rather people fought a video game fight/war than a real one, but the problem lies with those individuals who believe or confuse games with real life. Oh, he played Mass Effect or Call of Duty so we must ban these games because of their bad influence. What about the millions of people who happily play these games and don't go out and kill someone? Are they not under that same influence? Unfortunately, it's the few who make the headlines, and not the majority of perfectly responsible players who know right from wrong and reality from a game to play for enjoyment.