PDA

View Full Version : Easy class for Act 3 & 4.

Telkine
07-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a Ritualist level 34 and i can't get past Act 4. I put all my skill points into Pets and it's killing me (literary every minute). So I've started again and I'm going to try build a warrior that can survive. I've chosen Defense as my first skill tree but I'm kind of stuck as to what second skill tree to choose, I'm pretty new at the game so sorry if this stupid. Thank you all!

Galefury
07-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Haruspex (Hunting + Dream) is the easiest class in epic and legendary. No idea how strong it is in act 3 and 4 of normal, though. Defense is very powerful. Templar (Def + Dream), Conqueror (Def + Warfare) and Spellbinder (Def + Spirit) are some of the strongest combinations in the game. I have also heard good things about Corsair (Def + Hunting).

Act 4 of normal difficulty is one of the hardest parts of the game, harder than all of epic and most of legendary. Pets are very weak in Act 4, especially in normal difficulty. Maybe retrain your Ritualist to use different skills. It looks like Ritualist is one of the hardest classes to do act 4 with, so maybe you are actually best off making a different char and trying again once you know what to expect.

Tyr
07-29-2010, 08:47 PM
It's a hard class to get right without proper guidance, that's for sure. Act 4 is more about accustoming yourself to a playstyle shift, once you get over that it's pretty straightfoward.

Since you're new might I recommend a bow class, something with Hunting in it. Bow class playstyles don't change much as you go along, and on top of everything Hunting is a very powerful mastery.

Irma2
07-30-2010, 05:11 AM
My Ritualist was probably the third easiest build I took through Normal, and I've taken all the builds through Normal. Only Evoker and Prophet were easier. All three are insanely overpowered in Normal. The Evoker completed Normal on Xmax with no deaths and without taking a potion (red or blue) ever. That's how powerful these builds are.

Ritualist is really simple: don't put any points in the pets during Normal. Instead, max out Plague tree, put one point in Distortion Wave and then max out Psionic Immolation. There is not a single mob anywhere in Normal level that stands up to that. You might need to cast DW/PI a second time to down the very toughest mobs in Act IV, but that's all.

Of course, bosses aren't as easy as they take much longer to kill with the Plague/PI combo. But I don't find Normal bosses much of a challenge with any ranged toon. If I can wear Typhon down with a melee toon using a bow, I can certainly wear him down with a mage using a staff. Nevertheless, it does take some kiting.

This is where Evoker and Prophet are even easier. You still get the killing power of Psionic Immolation but you replace Plague with Squall and Lightning Bolt/Chain Lightning (Prophet) and with Eruption (Evoker). And, trust me, those skills DO kill bosses on Normal. And quickly too.

However, there is a downside. It is my belief that one of the game's truisms is "the easier Normal is for you, the harder Legendary will be". My Prophet is now in Act IV Epic and the going isn't nearly as easy as it was in Normal. On the other hand, my Ritualist just finished Epic (now using pets to kill instead of PI) and didn't struggle much at all.

Some of my melee builds, like Harbinger and Templar, did struggle quite a lot in Act IV Normal. The Harb, for example, died three times. The Templar is now in Legendary and owning, the Harb has finished the game and did so without a single death in Legendary. So again, the experience I had in Act IV Normal was very different from the experience in Legendary.

PS. If you want to resuscitate your Ritualist, I'd suggest respeccing to this (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Ritualist&master1=4&master2=9&sa=7&m1=24-0-0-1-0-0-8-0-0-8-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-8-0-0-0&m2=32-8-1-1-0-6-0-0-0-0-0-0-8-0-1-1-1-12-0-0-4-0). I can guarantee you that no mob will give you trouble.

Cast Plague on melee mobs to aggro them and, as they bunch up and rush you, nail them with a DW/PI (it should be on your RMB for maximum ease of use). For archers where you don't want to get close enough to them to Plague them, Shift-cast Sands of Sleep on them from a distance. When they're all snoozing, walk up to them, position yourself so that your DW/PI will hit as many of them as possible (including any Masters/Grandmasters in the mob) and let rip. If you can't get the whole mob in one cast, retreat and SoS the survivors before waving them to a crisp.

The DR/TR is just there in the unlikely event that anything gets past your DW/PI bomb. 3 seconds of Petrify will be more than enough for you to retreat to a safe distance and to wave them when they snap out of Petrify and rush you again.

Bosses like Hades' Generals take a bit more skill, as trying to get in close and wave them will result in you taking heavy hits. Plus SoS doesn't work on them. So it's a case of approaching cautiously, casting Plague to take the sting out of their attacks and slow them, and then either out-manoeuvring them and kiting with your staff, or dropping a DW/PI on them if you're nimble enough. Do try to keep them perma-Plagued, though, as that shortens the fight and makes it much easier.

Telkine
07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
My Ritualist was probably the third easiest build I took through Normal, and I've taken all the builds through Normal. Only Evoker and Prophet were easier. All three are insanely overpowered in Normal. The Evoker completed Normal on Xmax with no deaths and without taking a potion (red or blue) ever. That's how powerful these builds are.

Ritualist is really simple: don't put any points in the pets during Normal. Instead, max out Plague tree, put one point in Distortion Wave and then max out Psionic Immolation. There is not a single mob anywhere in Normal level that stands up to that. You might need to cast DW/PI a second time to down the very toughest mobs in Act IV, but that's all.

Of course, bosses aren't as easy as they take much longer to kill with the Plague/PI combo. But I don't find Normal bosses much of a challenge with any ranged toon. If I can wear Typhon down with a melee toon using a bow, I can certainly wear him down with a mage using a staff. Nevertheless, it does take some kiting.

This is where Evoker and Prophet are even easier. You still get the killing power of Psionic Immolation but you replace Plague with Squall and Lightning Bolt/Chain Lightning (Prophet) and with Eruption (Evoker). And, trust me, those skills DO kill bosses on Normal. And quickly too.

However, there is a downside. It is my belief that one of the game's truisms is "the easier Normal is for you, the harder Legendary will be". My Prophet is now in Act IV Epic and the going isn't nearly as easy as it was in Normal. On the other hand, my Ritualist just finished Epic (now using pets to kill instead of PI) and didn't struggle much at all.

Some of my melee builds, like Harbinger and Templar, did struggle quite a lot in Act IV Normal. The Harb, for example, died three times. The Templar is now in Legendary and owning, the Harb has finished the game and did so without a single death in Legendary. So again, the experience I had in Act IV Normal was very different from the experience in Legendary.

PS. If you want to resuscitate your Ritualist, I'd suggest respeccing to this (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Ritualist&master1=4&master2=9&sa=7&m1=24-0-0-1-0-0-8-0-0-8-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-8-0-0-0&m2=32-8-1-1-0-6-0-0-0-0-0-0-8-0-1-1-1-12-0-0-4-0). I can guarantee you that no mob will give you trouble.

Cast Plague on melee mobs to aggro them and, as they bunch up and rush you, nail them with a DW/PI (it should be on your RMB for maximum ease of use). For archers where you don't want to get close enough to them to Plague them, Shift-cast Sands of Sleep on them from a distance. When they're all snoozing, walk up to them, position yourself so that your DW/PI will hit as many of them as possible (including any Masters/Grandmasters in the mob) and let rip. If you can't get the whole mob in one cast, retreat and SoS the survivors before waving them to a crisp.

The DR/TR is just there in the unlikely event that anything gets past your DW/PI bomb. 3 seconds of Petrify will be more than enough for you to retreat to a safe distance and to wave them when they snap out of Petrify and rush you again.

Bosses like Hades' Generals take a bit more skill, as trying to get in close and wave them will result in you taking heavy hits. Plus SoS doesn't work on them. So it's a case of approaching cautiously, casting Plague to take the sting out of their attacks and slow them, and then either out-manoeuvring them and kiting with your staff, or dropping a DW/PI on them if you're nimble enough. Do try to keep them perma-Plagued, though, as that shortens the fight and makes it much easier.

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed reply. I'll try what you suggested. Again thank you!

Decommissioner
07-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Great post Irma.

I like how you broke things down. I've only played one class so far but I'm sure you are dead on about 'What is easy in normal is not in Legendary and vice versa.' My Templar doesn't even have great gear and Legendary is so easy compared to normal it feels like I already beat the game. A world of a difference.

Fuentes
07-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Irma you rock