PDA

View Full Version : Please help me find a fun class

V4nger
07-21-2010, 07:41 PM
I've been playing through the game with a Brigand and it's been great fun. Got to Act 4 and got owned. :(

So I started a Conqueror to take a break from my Brigand. It's really boring. I have an Elementalist, Ranger and a Thane also and they're all at various stages but I like having lots of characters to change between. Most of them are really fun but I'm finding the Elementalist quite slow. I'm not very adventurous with my classes so I've come to you for help :)

I really want a class that is fun to play, has a wide range of skills to use to mix it up a bit, a pet and can use bows well. I know it's a bit of a list but what could you recommend? Just recommend any class you found really fun to play but maybe use the list I gave as another template for a fun class.

I hope you can help me and if so I thank you very much!

Btw I haven't had this game long so this is why I don't know many of the classes and which go well together.

herodote
07-21-2010, 09:13 PM
You should try to make a Diviner (Spirit+Dream). It has a lot of skills and is really strong. It's probably easier to make a caster but they can also be melee without problem. You can have two different pets, both very good although I prefer the Liche. However, maybe another class would be better if you want absolutely have a bow, but I think you can have a lot of fun playing a Diviner.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to say about Diviners, Poinas wrote a guide (http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/threads/25924-Guide-Pwning-with-Spirit) with a build that makes them incredibly powerful. You should at least read it. Believe me, it is worth it, if you like to own everything.

Buy4now
07-21-2010, 09:48 PM
The Ranger (hunter/nature) will give you your bow and pet fix, with the potential for 3 wolves and a nymph. Most ranger builds are played as bow users, but spear ones are viable.

The Haruspex (dream/hunter) will give you an opportunity to go spear/shield or bow. There is a pet with the Nightmare, but I wouldn't call this a pet class.

The wide range of skills criteria is hard to satisfy with a bow build. The brigand you have has a very nice range of skills when you factor in spear/bow options, traps, and monster lure down the road. If the brigand is getting owned in Act 4, we might be able to give some suggestions to get through it.

V4nger
07-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. :D

It doesn't particularly have to be a bow character but I have a load of decent bows that go in a kind of order. Talliarns will, Turquoise, Storm Strike, Bow of the Nile, Nomads hunting bow.

I think I will try out a Diviner actually but please suggest more classes as I would like to try out as many combos as possible! :D

Thanks!

Irma2
07-22-2010, 07:20 AM
There are two classes which stand out as great fun for me due to their ability to mix and match skills and their ability to switch from ranged to melee combat quickly and effectively.

The first is a bow Slayer. Yes, Warfare with its Dual Wielding and Weapon Training that boosts melee weapons doesn't seem to fit well with Hunting that demands bows and spears. But that's where the beauty and versatility of the build comes in. Slayers are very effective with bows, as Hunting provides all the skills you need. Hunting is less complete for spears, as Take Down is the only active spear attack. But Warfare adds Onslaught and War Wind. So spears become very damaging and versatile on Slayers.

The added beauty is that Onslaught works with bows too. Sometimes you want to just shred weak mobs with your bow, and the Marksmanship line is perfect for that. But, when facing really tough melee mobs (Mellinoe Blade Dancers *cough*), you want to disable the mob. Switching to Onslaught on your bow procs Hamstring and causes those dangerous melee monsters to wade through treacle in order to reach you. By the time they do it (if any survive), you're ready to hit W, switch to your spear and finish them off.

It's that ability to combine two very good (and very different) forms of bow attack, and then switch to spear effortlessly when desired, that makes it such fun to play. Oh, and did I mention that you get the game's best tank (Monster Lure), the game's best buff (Battle Standard), some very good pets in the five Ancestors, along with a handy crowd control mechanism in War Horn, a poison resistance buff in Herbal Remedy and some extra melee help with Dodge Attack?

It's a pity that more people don't try Slayers due to the seemingly disjointed and non-synergistic nature of their respective skillsets. But sometimes opposites attract.

The other build, which imo is the most versatile and fun in the whole game, is Dreamkiller. Again, it's not a terribly popular build because people aren't too crazy about Rogue and Dream is seen more as a support mastery for Harbs, Templars and Haruspices. But if you want a range of possibilities for both ranged and melee attack, Dreamkiller delivers in spades.

Let's start with the build's killer combo: Phantom Strike, followed up by DR/TR and rounded off by Lethal Strike with a spear. Combining the game's two most powerful single-hit melee attacks in one combo has to be good.

But that's just the piece de resistance. How do you build up to it? Well, you could toss a Trap ahead of you to aggro the mob and make them cluster around it. Or you could toss three Traps with ToE. Or you could send the Nightmare ahead and use it as the aggro magnet. Then, when they cluster around the NM, you could toss in a Poison Gas Bomb. Or you could approach on your own, draw aggro to yourself, then blitz the whole lot with Distortion Wave as they rush you. Or Throwing Knives. Or heck, even Flash Powder. Maybe you could just Sands of Sleep them, then wake them up with Throwing Knives, then disable and petrify them again immediately with DR/TR?

The sheer range of active crowd control and damage options is just staggering. Dream and Rogue have the best crowd control skills in the game and you're getting both. They also have the widest "physical attacks from range" options in the game. Knives, Traps and Phantom Strike all deliver damage from range. So even if you're a spear build, you don't have to get up close and personal to launch your attacks. The build doesn't lack "up close" damage potential either. Lethal Strike sees to that.

You can make five different Dreamkillers and play each of them differently. And they can all be effective.

Neonimus
07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
You could give a corsair a try: corsair is the combination of Defense and Rogue and in my opinion it is a rather good combo. It has decent damage, some very nice skills for the fans of active skills and/or passive skills. Active skills of the corsair are Batter, Shield Charge, Quick Recovery, Rally, Collossus form, Lethal Strike, Throwing Knife, Lay trap, Flash Powder and Poison Gas Bomb. Passive skills are Battle Awareness, Blade Honing and Envenomed Weapon.

Another class that might be interesting for you could be a Haruspex. It is a very popular class to choose for and if you get problems there are a lot of people that can help you within no time. Personally I don't have played it yet, but all the stories I hear about it make me very curious.

DrBoarder
07-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I've played one of just about everything, and they are all fun.

Ask what kind of character you want?

Sword wielder with shield. (War)
Club wielder with shield. (War and Defense)
Spear wielder with shield. (Hunting)
Dual wielding (insert weapon here).
Shield smasher/basher (Defense)
Fire mage.
Ice mage.
Lightning mage.
Archer.
Archer with (fire or lightning arrows)
Dream character can cast sleep, does extra damage, casts uber poweful spells.