PDA

View Full Version : Back to playing TQ:IT. Need to shake off some rust.

CeeBiF
06-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Heya everybody!

I originally played TQ when it was first released and bought IT, and then stopped playing. You may probably guess why. :whistle:
Anyway, I noticed that there is now a fan patch which adresses most/all of those early issues so I downloaded it, installed and fired up the old characters. So far I've been playing them thru the new act catching up mainly collecting and making Formulae etc etc.
I have 4 characters I'd like to progress with along with some original items. Other characters I have are likely unviable so I'll replace them. The characters are;

- Level 59 Spell Breaker - Dual wield + death chill aura. Stopped at legendry because he died a lot due to death chill aura not working back then (didn't know). Seems ok now with the fan patch. http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Spellbreaker&master1=2&master2=3&sa=14&m1=32-6-0-0-8-0-0-0-6-0-0-0-8-0-0-8-0-0-1-10-0&m2=32-6-1-8-6-8-6-1-6-1-1-1-6-1-1-1-1-1-6-6-9-0

- Level 56 Conqueror - Mace/shield. My epic typhon runner. Should do ok in Legendry. http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Conquerer&master1=5&master2=3&sa=14&m1=32-1-1-0-3-1-1-0-6-6-6-1-1-0-6-8-6-6-1-1-6-0&m2=32-6-12-8-0-8-6-1-0-1-1-0-0-1-1-1-0-1-0-6-1-0

- Level 54 Bow sage - Storm tree probably needs respeccing. ( http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Sage&master1=7&master2=8&sa=14&m1=32-0-1-6-12-12-1-0-8-0-0-1-12-0-8-1-1-0-1-12-6-0&m2=32-0-10-0-0-5-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-6-0-0-1-1-0-1-0

- Level 48 Druid - Ice shard/lightning/wolves. Needs better items I think to progress further. http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Druid&master1=4&master2=8&sa=10&m1=32-1-8-6-1-1-0-0-1-0-6-1-0-0-1-1-0-0-1-0-0&m2=32-12-1-0-0-6-0-8-0-0-4-0-0-5-0-8-1-1-9-4-0-0

So, question time.

1). New builds. I haven't used Dream, Rogue or Earth with these four characters so Im looking for ideas that use these masteries. Don't know much about Dream so Im keen to make a character that uses it as well as others for the future.

2). Item farming. While I have some nice items, I have very little in the new IT items. Wheres the best place to farm or am I best trying to get a character into legendry for shopping? I've also noticed some of the new IT items are a bit corny. Carrot sword? :knockout: (the Imperator) Does IT bring any new uber items worth looking for?

3). Resistances. Im still a bit confused when it comes to resistances. How much and which resistances do I need for legendry?

Thanks for your help!

Violos
06-28-2010, 09:26 AM
And another one. Good to see people coming back. :)

Let's see... bow Sage can focus on lightning damage and scatters only, but traditionally is a normal "strong" build which uses Storm mainly for Squall. So if you trained strength on him, use the points from Storm's damage skills for other stuff (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Sage&master1=7&master2=8&sa=14&m1=32-0-1-6-1-12-1-0-4-0-0-8-12-0-8-10-1-0-0-12-6-0-0&m2=32-0-1-0-0-6-0-0-12-1-0-0-6-0-0-0-1-1-0-1-0-0).

As for your Druid, he should have little problems if you focus on pets at this point, the gear for which can be bought in shops. Later if you have enough -recharge you can still switch back to spells.
EDIT: The reason you are struggling at the moment is that the skills are spread too thin between ice, lightning and pets. You would be stronger using only one or two out of those, and support them with EotS, Squall and/or Plague.

Then

1) No terrific synergies between any of those three imo, though Dream/Earth is a decent mage, and Dream/Rogue can be fun as a sneaky fighter. Rogue/Earth is fun as a trapper, but only with a "petgear for traps" mod.

2) The Secret Passage is a good start, but that's also where the corny items are. Personally I don't see much reason to farm at all. You do find enough stuff just by playing all your chars, and keeping your eyes open when shopping.

3) Try to keep aboove zero on most. Stun is important, fire is common on enemies, and vitality good for act 4. Remember that all cap at 80%, even if the numbers go higher.

4) Have fun!

CeeBiF
06-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm. Hadn't thought to use squall with my Bow sage. My idea was to use spells to add elemental damage to the bow shots, not an actual spell to cast. Haven't had any real problems with the bow sage as he is wrecking everything in Epic. Strength is only around 250 total. I know I have trouble equipping a decent shield there due to low strength.

1). Erm, I didn't mean new characters where restricted to earth/dream/rogue only. I wouldn't mind dream/nature or rogue/spirit (as examples). As long as the main mastery was a "new" tree for me, then I'd be happy. I was kind of thinking along the lines of another caster that was a bit different to the Ice shard chucker and perhaps a spear user. Rogue plus something? I'm looking for a nice spread of variety I guess.

2). Secret Passage? I think I know where you mean. (One monster you can't kill? ) Been in there a couple of times but didn't think the drops where very good. Must have been beginners bad luck or something.

3). I have been aiming for around 50% on all the primaries for Legendry. So I can get away with less for legendry?

4). Sure will. :)

Irma2
06-28-2010, 10:27 AM
If you want a good new build, Dreamkiller with a spear is great. You might also want to investigate Evoker if you like casters.

IT adds absolutely uber items, things like Aionios, Demonskin Walkers, Amulet of Morpheus, Visor of the Shadowlord, and many others. Get into Legendary and farm them from Hades or the Secret Passage.

For resistances, the basic idea is to get 80% against whatever attack the next boss is going to be doing. For the Act bosses, that breaks down as follows:

1) Megalesios (Act I): Lightning and Vitality.
2) Aktaios (Act II): Fire
3) Ormenos (Act III): Cold and Vitality
4) Typhon (Act III): Lightning, Fire, Poison, Life Leech, Energy Leech
5) Hades (Act IV): Vitality and Physical

For the other major bosses:
Act I: Polyphemus requires Vitality, the Hydra needs Poison, Talos needs Fire and Lightning and Stun
Act II: Nehebkau and Rhakotis Library Scarab both need Poison, Manticore needs maxed Lightning and Poison, also as much Piercing as you can get
Act III: Dragon Liche needs Cold and Poison, Barmanu needs Stun, Bandari needs Cold and Vitality, Giant Yeti needs Cold
Act IV: Cold for Charon, Lightning and Vitality for the Gray Sisters, Poison (or +% Less Damage from Beasts) for Cerberus. It's also a good idea to get Piercing and Vitality resistance to a high level in Act IV generally.

For general play, I find that resistances around the zero mark are OK. As long as you're well protected against the bosses, that's the main thing. There are non-boss trash mobs (like Siege Striders) that require high resistances, but it would be too exhaustive to list them all here.

Irma2
06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
If you don't want builds that only use Earth, Rogue or Dream, then there are many powerful ones to choose from:

1) Earth mastery: Conjurer is a great caster, Evoker is a fun (but quite hard) melee build.
2) Rogue mastery: Probably the top-rated builds are Brigand (bow or spear), Dreamkiller or Corsair. A lot of people seem to choose Assassins for some reason, although it's not a great build for me. Warlock has a lot of possibilities but is quite fragile and tough to play.
3) Dream mastery: Anything. It's so strong, you can pair it with literally anything and get a decent build. Haruspex, Templar, Harbinger are all wildly popular for melee, as is Diviner on the casting side.

Violos
06-28-2010, 11:25 AM
My idea was to use spells to add elemental damage to the bow shots
In that case, though, it would be more beneficial to have high intelligence instead of strength. For a strong char, it makes more sense to focus his buffs and equipment on the arrows themselves.

If you just want to enjoy the main masteries, I'd also say the Conjurer makes the most of Earth.
I liked Dream the most for it's unique sleep and burn spells, i.e. DOT mage, while for Rogue it's a tie between a trap/knife Assassin and a shield/spear Corsair.

VenomX
06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
With that Spellbreaker (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Spellbreaker&master1=2&master2=3&sa=14&m1=32-6-0-0-8-0-0-0-6-0-0-0-8-0-0-8-0-0-1-10-0&m2=32-6-1-8-6-8-6-1-6-1-1-1-6-1-1-1-1-1-6-6-9-0) I strongly recommend maxing Harmstring, is is a real critical hits maker on higher difficulties and also, add some more ponits to Battle Standard and Triumph. :)

CeeBiF
06-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Hmm, got a few builds suggested to check out there. With so many combinations possible I needed some sort of starting point for some research. Ill check out the Conjurer, Assasin, Corsair, Brigand and Dream killer builds. Thanks for that everybody. :cool:

Irma2

Oh ok, I get the picture. Use the weapon swap or a quick armor change to get in some resists for boss fights. Guess I'm used to D2/LoD where you could set up a character with a one set up for everything but D2 only has 4 resistances you have to take care off compared to TQ.
I do have a legendry armor that's a resist everything that should do the trick, Mantle of Sa'jun.

Violos

Yes I agree. The 250 odd strength is just from the masteries and items. I built the characters dex up to 570 odd for item requirements and now Im concentrating on Intelligence from here on out. But yes, the characters main damage is coming from the bow damage and not elelemental at this point.

VenomX

Yeah, I noticed that on what other people have posted regarding spell breakers builds so I'll repec that. I don't use ancestors/big spirit summon thing skills much so I'll reduce those down some.

Violos
06-29-2010, 06:15 AM
I built the characters dex up to 570 odd for item requirements
That's a LOT of dex. I don't think you need any more. :)
On the upside, it allows you to use dex-based Prowler armor along with Tracker's Hood, which is perfect for this kind of char.

Most of your damage probably comes from Scatter Shot right now. Those little fragments are independent of your str, int, dex, and even your bow, which could be crude broken pine for all they care. All they need is +% pierce, +skills and +speed. That's why they work so well with all kinds of builds.

Zaptue
06-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Welcome back, CeeBiF! I couldn't possibly agree more with Irma2 on the Dreamkiller being a *ton* of fun. It's not the most powerful combo in the game, but it holds its own, and the play style is a little different from most popular builds. Throwing knives with high mandrake skill for confusion are fun crowd control, but aiming the knives does take a little practice. I've got knives mapped to my middle mouse button...then you have to assess the results of your throw and cut down the isolated mobs that didn't get confused first.

As far as a change of pace caster goes with those 3 masteries, I've got to say I haven't enjoyed dream/earth all that much, and I imagine rogue/earth would be even tougher. Dream is enough of a departure from the older masteries that you can make some interesting builds if you're willing to try something like dream/storm: you can make a build that tries to maximize electrical burn damage for example. My toon doing that trick isn't beyond the baby stages yet though, so I don't really have enough first hand knowledge of the build to recommend it yet. Anyhoo, enjoy all the new possibilities :)

CeeBiF
06-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Violos

Slight correction on the dex for the Sage. 422 naked and 628 with items. Im getting a lot of dex off items obviously. I have a few unspent stat points to put into int which I'll get around to. I've been a bit hesitant there as my elemental damage isn't great so I guess I've been avoiding it in epic.
The gear Im using is obviously geared at physical damage. Teucers bow, Trackers hood, armor and gloves, mymidons pendant, ring of the shan, chirons loop, tome of transfigeration and persian greaves. The last part of the trackers set still eludes myself!

Zaptue

Thanks for that.