PDA

View Full Version : Help with defense terminology

tdt
02-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Hi my 1st post just got game for $4.99 at Steam. I am confused about three terms/items as to what they do exactly.

Defensive Ability -?(figured this one out searching http://www.titanquest.net/forums/titan-quest-spoilers/19785-melee-attack-mechanics-oa-da-criticals.html)
Damage Resistance-?
Armor-?

Which do I need? I am playing an Elementalist right now spamming volcanic orb and squall. Didn't die until these spear guys in the orient that kill me pretty much all the time they are on me really quick. As a mage I can't really get my DA up too high so is there any hope? Any help would be appreciated.

Matseb2611
02-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Damage resistance is a resistance to physical damage. Same way as fire resistance resists fire-based attacks, and cold resistance resists cold-based attacks, damage resistance resists physical damage. (In fact, whenever the damage is not specified, assume it's physical, EXCEPT when it says damage absorption, in which case it counts for ALL types of damage).

Armor also only absorbs physical damage, but it works differently to damage resistance. Armor is 66% effective by default. This means that whatever the amount of armor you have on a body part, take 66% of that, and that is how much damage it will stop when that body part gets hit (torso gets hit 40% of the time, head, legs and arms 20% each).
So if you're wearing an armor with 100 armor value, and an enemy hits you let's say for 200 damage, the armor would absorb 66 damage (66% out of a 100), and so you will only receive 134 damage. Some skills and relics have a stat that you might've noticed: +% armor absorption. This stat makes your armor more effective. So if let's say it gives +20% armor absorption, your armor effectiveness becomes 66+20= 86%, and so each unit of armor will accout for more.

Remember that armor only absorbs physical damage. Other damage types go through it, including piercing. That's why high piercing damage builds are so powerful.

BTW, which spear guys are you talking about? What do they look like? Yerrens by any chance?

RJFerret
02-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Damage Resistance is just that, like Fire Resistance or any other, it reduces the damage by that percentage.

Think of armor as a physical resist of 66% of the armor value. Piercing damage completely ignores armor.

You are most likely to be hit in the torso, equally likely the three other areas.

For more details, the info comes from this sticky spoiler thread: http://www.titanquest.net/forums/titan-quest-spoilers/1159-knowledge.html

So basically it's all logical, Defense Ability relates to dexterity, your ability to dodge a hit. Armor is the stuff you wear to minimize how hurt you get when you are hit. Resistance is an ability to resist that hit hurting so much. Shields are things you use to block hits in the first place!

tdt
02-06-2010, 04:25 AM
Damage resistance is a resistance to physical damage. Same way as fire resistance resists fire-based attacks, and cold resistance resists cold-based attacks, damage resistance resists physical damage. (In fact, whenever the damage is not specified, assume it's physical, EXCEPT when it says damage absorption, in which case it counts for ALL types of damage).

Armor also only absorbs physical damage, but it works differently to damage resistance. Armor is 66% effective by default. This means that whatever the amount of armor you have on a body part, take 66% of that, and that is how much damage it will stop when that body part gets hit (torso gets hit 40% of the time, head, legs and arms 20% each).
So if you're wearing an armor with 100 armor value, and an enemy hits you let's say for 200 damage, the armor would absorb 66 damage (66% out of a 100), and so you will only receive 134 damage. Some skills and relics have a stat that you might've noticed: +% armor absorption. This stat makes your armor more effective. So if let's say it gives +20% armor absorption, your armor effectiveness becomes 66+20= 86%, and so each unit of armor will accout for more.

Remember that armor only absorbs physical damage. Other damage types go through it, including piercing. That's why high piercing damage builds are so powerful.

BTW, which spear guys are you talking about? What do they look like? Yerrens by any chance?

Thanks so much that was helpful. Yea, Yerrens are tough and Dragonians too. Very fast and on me. Sometimes with one or two whack they can kill. I need to improve defense.

Matseb2611
02-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Glad to help.

Dragonians are pretty deadly, I think everyone agrees on that, especially their mages that shoot several lightning balls at once. Those balls not only deal ****loads of damage, but also stun you, so if you do survive, you'll be finished off by the Firetalons. Best thing to do is when you come to a pack of Dragonians, charge for the mages and kill them first.

With Yerrens, it's mostly the Warlords and the heroes you have to watch out for. They charge at you out of nowhere and deliver powerful strikes while dual wielding. Usually best to get away from the rest of the pack, so that the others do not bother you while you fight the leaders.

mjkittredge
02-10-2010, 02:18 PM
I found against the dragonians, the best defense is a good offense. Blow them away fast with lots of damage. My elementalist had trouble with them too, so I'd remember where their groups where, or I'd see them at the very edge of the screen and start firing at them immediately. By the time they were hurting me, they were nearly dead.

Some purple sets give increased Defensive Ability, like the Battlemage Set, if I recall correctly. Might be tough to find in normal though.

You can get piercing resistance to 80, that will help against anything using a spear, bow and arrow, dagger or sword against you. And some other things too.