PDA

View Full Version : a portal system wath do you think?

12-07-2005, 06:35 AM
I have been reading some of the developer interviews more carefully and one of the sites which has interviews with the developers discovered this.

``There isn't a specific number of worlds at this point – suffice it to say that there will be "lots." Titan Quest will also implement a portal system to facilitate travel from one location to the next, so upon arriving at a new site, you will need to track down the next portal in order to continue your journey.``

Wath do you all think of this portal system?

Theo
12-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I like the LOTSA worlds part, but I don't want to spend to much time tracking down the next portal.

ruubster
12-07-2005, 11:21 AM
I think its a very good thing coz lots of traveling and killing the same enemy's in the same area really gets the pace out of a game :/

so I think its a good thing that there are (lots?) of portals in the game ^^

mcrandy
12-16-2005, 04:44 AM
They also said that this is not the type of game that you need to return to town all the time and fiddle. They keep you going forward in the game and its all about action. I like that but sometimes I do like to rest and fiddle a little bit......(I guess I've been known to spend hours looking in my trunk and playing with my treasures)

Portals will be good and maybe you can use portals to reach new area's you create in the editor. :-D

MadWasp
12-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Somebody mentioned there is no plan to get a town portal system...

I wonder about a great deal of run over there....

ruubster
12-19-2005, 10:23 AM
hehe I have read and heard in some interviews that
you dont need to go back to town you just keep moving on,

this for keeping the pace in the game high ^^

so there isnt really a need for a portal system :P

12-19-2005, 11:30 AM
hehe I have read and heard in some interviews that
you dont need to go back to town you just keep moving on,

this for keeping the pace in the game high ^^

so there isnt really a need for a portal system

jea that is right but they have also said that by doing and completing sub quests you can get acces to places like caves in areas you have already gotten too so then it is very handy but ofcourse you can also not do a single sub quest.

death200089
12-19-2005, 03:09 PM
No town portal system that sucks how are u going to sell all the items you found but don't need?

Theo
12-19-2005, 03:49 PM
No town portal system that sucks how are u going to sell all the items you found but don't need?

Maybe they can be salvaged to create new items?

ruubster
12-19-2005, 03:55 PM

Maybe they can be salvaged to create new items?

or sell them 2 travelling merchants...

Deinonychus
12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
I just got the feeling that the portal system will be similar to Diablo II. It is a good system and I think Iron Lore has put a lot of thought into every aspect of the game. Also, I heard there will be merchants that you can encounter (in a town or elsewhere) that you can deal with.

Hammerman
12-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Perhaps the inventory is so big that it'll take a while for you to fill it with loot, and so reducing the times you have to travel back to town and empty it. But I quite like going back to town often, checking out collected items and evaluating whether to keep them or not, and if they fit my char. Specially with a new game with lots of new items to be found.

I think it would be a bit limiting not having a town portal, both because of the selling items factor and also as a safety factor, sort of, like if you're in a big fight and getting low on health, it's always good to know that you can quickly portal back to town and fill up on healing potions.

death200089
12-19-2005, 10:24 PM
I think its far more likely you run into merchants then having a inv that big and monsters drop items fairly often, i was watching some more movies on titan quest and i think i saw a merchant under a brigde but im not sure.

Deinonychus
12-20-2005, 07:24 AM
I actually wouldn't mind if the portals were a bit hard to find. Sort of makes it a challange and may in fact be a minor quest in its own right. Perhaps with the Titans behind all of this, each portal can be guarded by monsters to bar the adventurers way and add yet more challange.

ruubster
12-20-2005, 04:51 PM
I think its far more likely you run into merchants then having a inv that big and monsters drop items fairly often, i was watching some more movies on titan quest and i think i saw a merchant under a brigde but im not sure.

hehe u mean this guy?

http://rapidshare.de/files/9535711/TQ2.bmp.html

I had to make a bitmap file, otherwise the pic was quite unclear. and thats why I uploaded it to rapidshare.de instead of imageshack.us....

hope u guys can live with that ;)

edit: the pic I submitted is wrong go see my next post ;)

death200089
12-20-2005, 07:01 PM
hehe u mean this guy?

I had to make a bitmap file, otherwise the pic was quite unclear. and thats why I uploaded it to rapidshare.de instead of imageshack.us....

Very funny are u sure your not just spamming?

ruubster
12-21-2005, 09:51 AM
hehe u mean this guy?

Very funny are u sure your not just spamming?

hehe I see its just a black screen :)

but you are going offtopic either ;) so I can call you a spammer too :P

but to correct my fault :P go download this (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/titanquest/download_ini.html?sid=6126245) movie and skip to 0,29 and watch carefully under the bridge....

tada if u look closely u see a guy walking under the bridge, and yes that could be a merchant....

Hammerman
12-21-2005, 05:40 PM
tada if u look closely u see a guy walking under the bridge, and yes that could be a merchant....

Yes, I hadn't noticed that, good call. And there are at least two more persons on that short clip, one in the upper right corner, one thats visible only a fraction of a second before disappearing under the bridge, and the one under the bridge (that you mentioned). My guess is that those aren't merchants, but guards. In the very beginning of this clip you see a monster or some creature standing still (or a small part of it), so it appears that it is friendly. I think (and now I'm just daydreaming really) that this place is some kind of fort, and these are guards protecting the creature which is part of a quest or something. Just a thought :)

ruubster
12-22-2005, 04:24 AM
Yes, I hadn't noticed that, good call. And there are at least two more persons on that short clip, one in the upper right corner, one thats visible only a fraction of a second before disappearing under the bridge, and the one under the bridge (that you mentioned). My guess is that those aren't merchants, but guards. In the very beginning of this clip you see a monster or some creature standing still (or a small part of it), so it appears that it is friendly. I think (and now I'm just daydreaming really) that this place is some kind of fort, and these are guards protecting the creature which is part of a quest or something. Just a thought :)

hehe yes those guys could be guards indeed :)

protecting the merchants on the road... :P

I think its a trading lane..... ehm a road where merchants travel on :P (sry I am dutch ;))
because I also see a third person :P
he is walking away from the bridge, in the opposide direction of the other two....
he (or she:P) dissapears behind those rocks/mountains...

Hammerman
12-22-2005, 03:16 PM
protecting the merchants on the road... :P

I think its a trading lane..... ehm a road where merchants travel on :P (sry I am dutch ;))

Yea it could also be like a trade-route, that would be pretty cool, but I guess we won't know for sure until the game ships (which I personally can't wait for!) :D

death200089
12-22-2005, 11:38 PM
I say there merchants the guys in the middle of nowhere where theres nothing to guard so y would it be a guard and seriously what kind of guard walks around without a weapon it has to be a merchant or some other sort of npc maybe quest related but not a guard am i making myself clear?

Hammerman
12-23-2005, 02:18 PM
I say there merchants the guys in the middle of nowhere where theres nothing to guard so y would it be a guard and seriously what kind of guard walks around without a weapon it has to be a merchant or some other sort of npc maybe quest related but not a guard am i making myself clear?

Yes, quite clear. It's hard, though, to see if they have any weapons, they're seen for a short period of time in not-so-good resolution. And we don't see anything else, except a person/creature on the left right in the beginning of the clip, so we really don't know anything about the surroundings. The player could also be entering or exiting a town.

Anyways, the guard thing was merely an idea, they might just as well be merchants as you say, or quest related npcs.

chanxeng
12-27-2005, 03:50 PM
I dun tink they r merchants. Y would merchants be in the middle of nowhere. The bad guys would go and get them already. Npcs dun appear in the middle of nowhere for no good reason.

My guess would be maybe there would be outposts around. Like small villages, just for you to restock and get ur health or mana potions. In this way, there isn't a need for the portal system. Myabe there would be just one or two protals just to get you back to ur hometown.

I wldn't tink the developers of the game would want to make it so much like Diablo II. I would expect some variety and much more new stuff.

02-04-2006, 04:28 PM
if you look at the 4th developer interview and then on the video you can see at 2:58 a travelling portal that almost has to be the world portal.

Redcell
02-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Well I hope they have some type of system of travel other than running. When you hit max lvl and you want to go to the best hunting grounds or farming grounds. i would hate to have to run for a hour.

PureAcid
02-06-2006, 01:26 AM
But, imho, I think a warrior must benefit from fighting his/her way to the portal, either by own capacity or in MP mode, which gives that portal-jumpin just to gain level in some way should be followed by facing harder than expected foe, then if the Hero has been fight to reach portal, which gives, if there is a way to sneak into a portal via a sort of backdoor- then the entrance at portal would be a maybe sad surprise... Read, things should not be too easy..