PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for gameplay

Asheron
06-27-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd like to suggest something that has been in my mind for some time. You can use it in Balance Patch, or maybe Munderbunny could implement it in Occult, either way is fine.

I was always annoyed that in this kind of games you either have to dual wield or use shield. Using one weapon was never an option,so here's what I thought: make a skill tree depending on single weapon. It could activate like self buff (Blade Honing for example), and when using it, it gives you better bonuses from the weapon you are holding and you cannot use shield. You could even input proc skill that affect only one target but do massive damage or something similar...
This is the general idea (just quick sketch):
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s88/Asheron3187/Titan%20Quest/Pic.jpg
It should work like Heart of the Oak,active skill with synergies.

And the most appropriate class for this would be Rogue. Why? Because Warrior has dual wield proc skills, Defense has Shield proc skills and Hunting has bow/spear proc skills. Rogue only has DOT proc skills even though he should be one-on-one killer.
I also thought to give Rogue ability to dual wield swords but I see Munder thought of that before me. This way is more unique anyway.

Another thing that bugs me is way this game operates with attack speed. Swords give larger attack speed and minimal dmg,while maces give 2x more damage but are slower (and axes are golden middle). However, maxing attack speed is quite easy in this game and adding extra dmg is not. Swords are literally useless later (only if you use side effect and not damage itself) and when Munder put piercing damage on axes in Occult the last point for using them is gone.

I would propose to put different caps for each weapon.
For example:
Maces have 150%
Axes have 180%
Sword have 222%
(random suggestions,just to show what my idea is).

So... Any thoughts on these?

yerkyerk
06-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Well, I discussed different attack speed caps with Munder - and if you're able to do that, I'll put it in the installer. It's apparantly not as easy as you'd think :)

As for the single weapon, I think it's simply too ugly to implement it in an 'official' work. Now if we could have two-handed weapons with proper animations, that'd be a different story :D

Kir4
06-27-2009, 09:14 PM
I really like those ideas.:)

Especially the different speed-caps, since swords are just much cooler than clubs or axes. (But, as long as Sapros is a club, there wont be any swords though...)

Asheron
06-28-2009, 05:10 AM
Yerkyerk, I didn't say it was easy and I am not trying do be the smartest man in the world. I only suggested it, and if it can't be done, never mind, it's not like world would end :)

Maybe different approach for swords: raise the % of pierce damage they do? I always thought that ultimate piercing weapon should be some cool sword (katana maybe), not some ugly club.

The part I don't get is "too ugly"? What do you mean by that? I always thought that Rogue with shield looks silly. I refused to use shield when playing my Assassin and switched to dual wield (to avoid annoying picking up and auto-equipment of shields).

Here's an idea: when using only one weapon and turning that aura, your hero stand like those Machae demons. How about that,that is surely cool :)

You said it you're self (about dual shields stuff), shield are often heavy and cumbersome. Using them can slow you down, and for stealthy character like Rogue, they can be redundant. But then again, it's your opinion and I respect it.

yerkyerk
06-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Well, I'd really like to see the speedcap for weapons, but I think it's too difficult to implement.

Why you'd want a single weapon I can understand - though it'd just look ugly to have a free weapon slot.. besides, why equip no weapon? Doesn't make much sense to keep one hand free... Although only an Assassin can wield anything other than a shield in the second hand.

silverbeat
07-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Well, I'd really like to see the speedcap for weapons, but I think it's too difficult to implement.

Why you'd want a single weapon I can understand - though it'd just look ugly to have a free weapon slot.. besides, why equip no weapon? Doesn't make much sense to keep one hand free... Although only an Assassin can wield anything other than a shield in the second hand.

What do you mean by "...only an Assassin can wield anything other than a shield in the second hand."?

Can't any warfare character dual wield or am I missing your point there? Also having a second hand free makes a lot of sense to me. Anyone tried writing with both hands. Just my 2c of course :)

yerkyerk
07-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Oh yes, I apparantly forgot to mention "in combination with Rogue" - as I assumed we were mainly talking about how it would look on a Rogue with a one-handed weapon.

Vifarc
09-01-2009, 04:04 AM
In Ancient times, I think dual-wield was only learned by professional warriors. And shields were only wield by men in war (and shield abilities only learned by elite warriors).
I think rogues usually had nothing in their left hand, as they must be stealthy or have concealed weapons. They had to strike with maximum speed and strenght in minimum time.
As in TQ we're in war against monsters, the Rogue wields a shield.