PDA

View Full Version : Set Bonuses

kenpa007
02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Recently I've finished (yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, NOT) Alexander's Panoply set. And I was surprised. Negatively. The bonuses I got from completing it were laughable. 3% to avoid projectiles? 10% Strength? +300HP? +60 OA, +60DA? C'mon. I've spent ~50ish hour solely for the purpose of farming for this set and it was complete only after I traded a good sword with another player for the greaves. This is laughable.

I suppose these sets are bull and are not even worth completing. Really, I couldn't care less if i had a collection of sets (only 2 complete so far. This one and Call of the Wild (easy, has only 4 pieces), haven't tried it yet, don't have any toons for it) if it's only couple of shi*ty stats for reward.

Now, I'm not saying that I should become god of the universe with a set, but damn straight I should at least be a real legendary hero who kicks a$$.

I don't have any specific suggestions as how this should be balanced, I just wanted to point out that this is quite a problem with a game which relies heavily on the excitement of collecting supposedly awesome gear.

Thanks for reading.

Jounin Reaper
02-18-2009, 05:54 PM
the bonuses should be
+10% Armor Protection, +3% Shield Block, +10% Strength, +300 Health, +120 Defensive Ability, 4% Chance to Dodge Attacks
the armor protect and the shield block are pretty useful IMO

kenpa007
02-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeh, ok, I equipped the set and threw it away in disgust when I saw those stats, so my bad on incorrect information. That still doesn't change my view of the bonuses given.

As for armor and shield: Actually, not really so useful. +10% armor is like a fart in the wind, and the shield block also, since legendary shields block 45% or more by default(+ the bonuses on the shield themselves). So, what's the point in wearing a set, just to have 48% block, if the 45% is virtually the same (blocks every second attack) and doesn't really matter due to 2,5sec shield recharge and you can get some way better equipment?

Furthermore, if you have Defensive mastery then it's even more redundant since quick recovery rises that sky high to ~75%ish...

You can't just look at the bonuses as they are, you have to see the whole picture of the balancing issue in the game. These bonuses do not justify wearing the setr since you can get even the simplest green objects to give you more than this. No actual value of the set (or any set as I read through the forum) except showing around that you have it.

Poinas
02-19-2009, 04:13 AM
It has been discussed, and set bonuses will be better, I'm quite sure of that.

RagnarokX
02-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Hopefully VASTLY better. Sets suck.

Impulsand
03-01-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd like to add that not all sets are completely useless...

+15% Total Damage, +100% Electrical Burn Damage, +20% Life Leech, 60% Damage Resistance, 60% Elemental Resistance, 60% Poison Resistance, +40 Intelligence, +200 Offensive Ability, +200 Defensive Ability

That's the Rainment of Carnus (http://www.gamebanshee.com/titanquest/setitems/raimentofcarnus.php).

On whole, yes, I think set bonuses could be improved; and for the fanpatch if anyone needs input I'd like to try and help out with suggestions.

Cheers,

Imp

gitar3
03-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Set bonuses need to be improved to a point that players would want to wear sets, not only to look good, but also be useful on the battlefield.

So I have a proposal that set bonuses be increased with the following guidelines:
- that individual set pieces be left intact (no modification on the individual pieces)
- that set bonus categories be left intact (to preserve the original intent of the developers)

How much, or little, the bonuses will increase could depend on the following factors:
- the Difficulty level a set is likely to drop in (lower bonus for Normal, higher for Legendary)
- the Act a set is likely to drop in (lower bonus for sets in Act 1, 2 - higher bonus for sets in Act 3, 4)
- whether a set is likely to drop in one or multiple acts (lower bonus for sets dropping in multiple acts - sets that can drop in multiple acts and difficulties are *easier* to obtain becase you have more chances to get them)
- the type of set (blue - Epic - sets would usually have lower bonuses than purple - Legendary - sets, relatively)
- the number of pieces in a set (sets with a lot of pieces should have higher bonuses)
- the individual and overall strengths of pieces in a set

Take for example......

Set Name: Imperial Raiment (http://www.gamebanshee.com/titanquest/setitems/imperialraiment.php)
Set Level: 24, 25, 26
Set Type: Epic
Number of Set Pieces: 6
Set Act (Difficulty): Act 3 (Normal)
Proposed Bonus Change (what the new bonus could look like):
2/6 … +25% life leech, +75 DA
3/6 … +50% life leech, +100 DA, 10% pierce resis, 10% element resis, 10% poison resis
4/6 … +75% life leech, +135 DA, 20% pierce resis, 20% element resis, 20% poison resis, 69-102 energy leech over 3 secs
5/6 … +120% life leech, +170 DA, 35% pierce resis, 35% element resis, 35% poison resis, 85-120 energy leech over 3 secs
6/6 … +175% life leech, +220 DA, 55% pierce resis, 55% element resis, 55% poison resis, 96-137 energy leech over 3 secs

What do you guys/gals think? Comments, suggestions, etc.?

Poinas
03-23-2009, 06:18 AM
I'd like the fact that individual items are left the same, only the bonuses increased.

However the bonuses can't be overpowering like 55% primary resists and 220 DA in normal difficulty. Those sound like epic/legendary bonuses to me :)

gitar3
03-23-2009, 11:16 AM
I'd like the fact that individual items are left the same, only the bonuses increased.

However the bonuses can't be overpowering like 55% primary resists and 220 DA in normal difficulty. Those sound like epic/legendary bonuses to me :)

Good point. Will look at it more closely for balancing reasons.

Munderbunny
03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Getting 6 items in a unique set is exponentially less likely than finding 6 random uniques for those same slots. I've come across a number of Imperial Raiment items while playing, but never even come close to completing the set before leaving Act III normal, and that's with significant farming. For the amount of farming it would take me to complete the set, I could have a number of much better items for all those related slots. Also, because sets tend to be limited in their range of abilities, they rarely suit most builds and don't allow you to customize your equipment to strengthen your particular build. Not to mention, only a dual-wielder can even use the complete set in the example, and having to use both hand slots for really really terrible weapons. Let's not forget as nice as +175% life leech might seem superficially, you only have your rings and neck slot to add it to. And while one of the weapons does 10% ADCtH, I'm sure if you ran out the numbers, you'll find much better performance from a large number of weapons you'll have at your disposal after the same amount of time spent farming.

Now, the Imperial Raiment set is a terrifically crappy set. Each item is sad in how weak it is. And the completion bonus for all 6 is similarly worthless (because it takes up 6 slots to achieve on top of negligible item stats).

Honestly, the original completion bonus is: +100% Life Leech, 69-102 Energy Leech Over 3 Seconds, 40% Pierce Resistance, 40% Elemental Resistance, 40% Poison Resistance, +75 Defensive Ability

It's depressingly bad. I wouldn't look twice at. And it seems gitar3 has used a very reserved hand in boosting the set: +75% life leech, +145 DA, +15% pierce resist, +15% elemental resist, +15% poison resist, and 27-35 energy leech over 3 seconds.

I mean, lol...honestly, really appraising the total bonuses on gitar3's set right now, I don't think there's a single player on these forums that would use the set still, especially any dual-wielding player. If the point of improving the set bonuses is to make them better so we'll use them, I honestly don't think gitar3's done enough. It's a marginal increase to a hideously bad set. I think if the sets aren't going to have their versatility improved with new bonuses to new areas (which I think would be a good thing), they should at the very minimum get large improvements to the bonuses they offer in their existing spread (carnus is a great example, though still just a little too weak because of the weaknesses of the individual items and the lack of versatility casters need at that level--the staff in particular is unusable).

In my opinion, the big problem with set bonuses is their limited scope. Going to 220 DA, for example, is bordering the upper range you want to offer (though you could do better with a different set of 6 items, no problem). You can't go too high because of the way DA works, so by being limited to only the bonuses the set offers, you effectively lock yourself into the same prison the dev's seemed to be in. lol, I imagine the convo going something like this: Dev 1, "Man, this set kind a sucks. What about +300 DA?" Dev 2, "300 DA! That's too high for a bonus for normal!" Dev 1, "Yeah, true... K, I'll get to it later, after we fix this Triumph bug."

yerkyerk
03-24-2009, 07:29 AM
I agree with Munder that set items should be improved vastly. Mostly because (large) set equipment will cripple your character customization - and in return you should get at least a set that has better stats than similar unique weaponry.

It'd be cool to have certain set items which give a unique active skill. The pyromancer set could give a cool fire attack, for example. A big meteor falling from the sky or something, I dunno, just an example.

Any set with 4 or more slots could give an artifact granted skill bonus on completion.
The Imperial Raiment could, for example, get "Grants Skill: Jade Emperor's Mau-D'uyhn" - or perhaps a watered down version of it, since it's a Normal set.

If sets only get an increase in their regular bonuses, they'd still look quite uninteresting. But I think this is something that applies to most unique equipment.

If a completed tigermen suit would actually change your mesh in that of a tigerman, that'd be awesome in a can*, but I guess undoable.

* Urban Dictionary: A category of awesome which is without a use by date and will always be awesome no matter how long since you last thought of it. Everytime its opened it has a fresh awesome'ny zest.

gitar3
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
It'd be cool to have certain set items which give a unique active skill. The pyromancer set could give a cool fire attack, for example. A big meteor falling from the sky or something, I dunno, just an example.

Any set with 4 or more slots could give an artifact granted skill bonus on completion.
The Imperial Raiment could, for example, get "Grants Skill: Jade Emperor's Mau-D'uyhn" - or perhaps a watered down version of it, since it's a Normal set.

If sets only get an increase in their regular bonuses, they'd still look quite uninteresting. But I think this is something that applies to most unique equipment.

In my mucking around with the Art Manager, granting skills to set bonus doesn't work. Nor does giving pet bonus to set bonus. So far.

And I agree that it's something that would make sets much more interesting and dynamic.