PDA

View Full Version : [Spirit] Death Ward

yerkyerk
11-17-2008, 12:44 AM
A onepoint wonder. Well, wonder's a big word with this skill, the life return you get from it is pathetic and it has a huge cooldown. My proposal is to let it start out with 300 health and give 100 health per skillpoint invested in it, as well as giving a 10 second 20%damage absorption, which increases by 2% per skillpoint invested in it.

Either that, or a more interesting way, like someone on tqitfanpatch proposed: Make it do some form of lifedrain attack on low health.
That's much cooler, imo, and very fitting for Spirit, but I'm not sure if this will work out all that well though. How would that work against undead, ranged attackers, bosses, etc..?

gorgus
11-17-2008, 02:08 AM
A onepoint wonder. Well, wonder's a big word with this skill, the life return you get from it is pathetic and it has a huge cooldown. My proposal is to let it start out with 300 health and give 100 health per skillpoint invested in it, as well as giving a 10 second 20%damage absorption, which increases by 2% per skillpoint invested in it.

so, at level 12 (+4 skills) it would give the player 10 secs of 42% dmg absorption, as well a HP recovery of 1400, right? isn't it a little high? add to that a pot or two, and possibly the character becomes immortal.

but, if the damage absorption increases by 2% every other level, i guess it would be a little better.

i don't know.....it's just a thought.

yerkyerk
11-17-2008, 04:37 AM
Hm, I dunno. Those are just random numbers, but 42% damage absorption for only 10 seconds doesn't sound that immortal to me, especially with the long cooldown. The 1400 HP recovery is rather low, btw. The skill will be more about the %damage absorption than the relatively little amount of health recovered.

gorgus
11-17-2008, 06:21 AM
42% damage absorption+1400 HP recovered+time to chug a pot or two+enough time given by the above to flee the crime scene ;).....

and, how much health would a high level character have? let's say an average of, roughly 5000HP. well, 1400 is like a third of that, so....

yerkyerk
11-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Well, it should be useful.

And if you're willing to sink so much skillpoints in it for a potential lifesaver, well, you should get something for it. 1400 health is definetely not much. Btw, the problem I often face when dying, is that I get hit hard and stunned from all sides. 1400 health is probably like 2 hits from an Act 4 mob
Anyway,

gorgus
11-17-2008, 07:23 AM
yes, i see what you mean.

"Anyway," what?

yerkyerk
11-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Oh, heh yea. Forgot that.

We could do the +100 per skillpoint health regen and combine it with a passive life leeching attack..

Poinas
11-17-2008, 08:39 AM
+100 HP regen per skillpoint could translate into huge gains..you mean regeneration, not instaboost, right?

I like the idea of life leech, even if it doesn't work against all monsters. I'd add that and increase the amount of HP regained, 100 at lvl 1, and increasing with 100-150 per level. Maybe increase the triggering threshold to 20%.

Munderbunny
11-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Yes, I proposed the life-leech on low health. There were like 3 ******* people throwing out ideas, lol, HOW DO YOU NOT REMEMBER IT WAS ME?!?!?!?!?

Anyway, I tried to get it to work with my mod, but it's messy, and doesn't work the way that would be nice, which is to like cast life drain on surrounding enemies. There's a way to do it with some retaliation, but it's not reliable, and it sucks.

But, I have my *** saved by deathward all the time. It's not marduk's tablet, but it's worth the skill point investment. I max it out for the extra health, and it makes a big difference. I agree that it's only worth 1 point early on, but later in the game, when you have more points to spend, it's worth the investment. I would like to see the flat amount boosted some though, but not to like 1400. The big problem with that large a boost is that with high cooldown, you could become near immortal as it takes you out of the low-health zone, which means it can get triggered again immediately.

gorgus
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
I would like to see the flat amount boosted some though, but not to like 1400. The big problem with that large a boost is that with high cooldown, you could become near immortal as it takes you out of the low-health zone, which means it can get triggered again immediately.

it seems to me that someone suggested that already, in the second post in this thread D:

Munderbunny
11-17-2008, 07:00 PM
The point I was making was about the conditions that trigger death ward. Death ward is triggered when it's timer is up AND when the player goes below a certain percentage of health, let's say 25% (I don't remember what it actually is). However, with 100% recharge, it can just go right back on EXCEPT, it won't go off if you're under 25%--it only goes off when you from greater than 25% to under 25%. So, a higher health amount could be problematic for that reason alone.

So, I agree with you that it could be a problem, and the reason above is why. :p

yerkyerk
11-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes, I proposed the life-leech on low health. There were like 3 ******* people throwing out ideas, lol, HOW DO YOU NOT REMEMBER IT WAS ME?!?!?!?!?
Well, heh, it's not so hard to forget stuff as it might seem :)

The big problem with Death Ward right now that it gives a whopping flat non-increasable 30 health per level to your character. That's all. Actually, it's even worse, since it has a huge cooldown.

It depends very much on what's going to happen with the -%recharge game mechanic. This is exactly why we should cap -%recharge...

But, suppose it gets capped, we'll have to wait for that, how do you think a 1400 health buff is than? I still think it's too small for 12 points, something else should be added too. But, increasing health by a good amount seems reasonable to me, perhaps it'll be enough.

Munderbunny
11-18-2008, 03:57 PM
I literally couldn't count the number of times it's saved me from death. While death in the normal game isn't that big a deal, because you only lose a fraction of experience, a defensive skill is meant to keep you from death. It does that successfully for very few skill points. I put a full 8 points into it, and it saves my life more than with 1 point in it.

I really do feel like it's well balanced. I could see giving it a very small health increase, but the skill works, and it works well. 1400 health is at least half a player's health, usually more. It just seems really big. And especially with stuff like dark covenant, it's a big health giveaway.

But, I dunno, really. I'd have to play with it a while at 1400 health before I could really say.

Bumbleguppy
02-22-2010, 12:03 AM
How about you make it like a health potion where you get a flat amount and then a regenerated amount over a couple seconds? I am playing around with it myself ( I also added increased run speed with the regen buff for the quick heel-n-toe :D )

Roland
02-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Fddkk apparently went on a spam & annoying rampage this morning.

Posts have been reported.

Michael.Jordan
11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
I agree with making it useful.