PDA

View Full Version : boss farming compared to diablo

partyboy
07-05-2006, 02:59 PM
i've been farming epic typhon. i can run to him in about 40 seconds, takes me ~15 seconds to kill him with my lvl 43 conqueror. so let's say the whole process up until i'm running to typhon again takes approx 1.5mins.

once you move on to legendary the setup is perfect. you can continue progressing through legendary, while doing very quick loot runs on typhon, who fairly regularly drops legendary items. in a way, it kind of cheapens the loot.. but it doesn't particularly bother me. and it is very addictive

i never played diablo so i was wondering how that situation compares to what was available in diablo?

(i completed my first epic set. 'Warrior's Panoply.' i actually got 3 of the pieces off typhon within ~30m. also, has anyone else noticed that during each 'session' of typhon runs you get a lot of dupes? i got that legendary translucent green shield 5 times in about 45 minutes. on other days, i've gotten other blue/purple items multiple times over several runs)

xEmp1rEx
07-05-2006, 03:04 PM
In diablo people didn't actually do the farming. They had bots do it for them.

Jagadance
07-05-2006, 03:17 PM
In diablo people didn't actually do the farming. They had bots do it for them.

Maybe some of the people on Bnet did, but there is a huge legit single player community that did all their own farming. I was completely addicted to magic find runs in D2. I was the kind of guy that could run pindleskin for 4-5 hours straight, get nothing for my troubles, then go back the next night and do another 3 hours or so. Sad, I know, but I was completely addicted, and it was so rewarding when you finally got that sweet drop you were hunting for.

skpruett
07-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Personally no, I don't think it cheapens the loot. Loot is harder to get here, much harder than diablo if you ask me. With bots so bad, and adding in the stupid "+% chance to drop items" gear that diablo had it was far easier to gain equipment there. Even if you didn't do it, you could trade someone for literally anything you needed.

Your quick boss runs sound easy, but think about it. You've progressed through the game and beaten him multiple times. You've earned every bit of that loot. Congrats to you, enjoy your spoils of war.

FrostElfGuard
07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm about to start playing TQ, (haven't installed it yet even!) and am wondering how much game time did it take to get that high a level (and skilled at the game)? What kind of character did you make?

'Gratz on your success!

partyboy
07-05-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm about to start playing TQ, (haven't installed it yet even!) and am wondering how much game time did it take to get that high a level (and skilled at the game)? What kind of character did you make?

to get to the point where i could farm epic level typhon.. maybe 30-35 hours?

that char is a conqueror, warrior/defense. the speed at which i can farm typhon is pretty much entirely based on my gear. i use a legendary axe for my regular playing but for typhon i use one of those green 'of relentless power' maces that have +% damage +% attack speed. the -damage/resist/effect bonuses that are so useful in the regular game generally aren't necessary against typhon, it's all about doing as much damage as fast as possible. except maybe some fire resist.. but i use colossus mode, so i can easily potion tank him. 2-4 health potions usually.

and yeah, it's not a big deal. i mean, 75% of the epic/legendary drops you get are probably useless to you anyway.. and then the final 25% is split between stuff that is a definite upgrade and stuff that is usually almost equal to what you already have. it can be a little annoying when you get a nice purple that you can't use because your green+relic is better. i want to wear purples damn it!

and my shield block rate is like 92%, imagine if i could put one of those -shield recharge relics on it? :whistle:

STiger
07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
it can be a little annoying when you get a nice purple that you can't use because your green+relic is better. i want to wear purples damn it!

I'm not in Epic or Legendary yet, and I've never found a purple, but...can you not add relics to them? If you can, you could always go hunt for the same relic parts and put them on the purple. It would give you a change of scene.

And more importantly it would give Typhon a change of scene. He must be sick of seeing you. It's like, "I told you three hundred times already! I don't need ****ing double glazing! Ow! Ow!"

partyboy
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
nah, green is the rarest you can add relics to. i wish they had added epic/legendary relics that had different stats, then, if they felt the current relics would make those items too powerful. basically once you get to legendary and start farming bosses for purples you rarely have a use for them anymore.

Napoleon
07-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Personally no, I don't think it cheapens the loot. Loot is harder to get here, much harder than diablo if you ask me. With bots so bad, and adding in the stupid "+% chance to drop items" gear that diablo had it was far easier to gain equipment there. Even if you didn't do it, you could trade someone for literally anything you needed.
This game has been out for a week.. and of course the internet is not floating with legendary items yet. But I assure you. Even though Titan Quest has a much larger "item database", it is much easier to find every legendary/epic in TQ than finding every single Unique/Set/Rune in D2.

And that is good. Making too rare things is a bit stupid. I played Diablo for years, but I never found a better rune than "GUL" , which is like 1000 times more common than ZOD :). Thats lame.

Billmaan
07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Mephisto runs in Diablo 2 also took about 1.5 minutes each, so it's a comparable situation. (Granted, Mephisto didn't drop everything, but he did drop enough.)

hostage67
07-05-2006, 10:36 PM
I used to do mephisto runs in diabloII in roughly 30-40seconds with full magic find gear on with my sorcerer and pretty much never died as long as I was paying attention.

I suspect that Titan Quest will be just as bad in time unless the developers do something that prevents it. Not to mention all of the dupes and stuff that filtered in.

Tiberian
07-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I was pretty dissapointed with the final area, it's too short, too easy for spellcasters, and makes farming the last boss just laughable. I'd sure like to see it upgraded somehow, but it's probably too late to consider patching it in now.

Jagadance
07-06-2006, 01:37 AM
I was pretty dissapointed with the final area, it's too short, too easy for spellcasters, and makes farming the last boss just laughable. I'd sure like to see it upgraded somehow, but it's probably too late to consider patching it in now.

I'm pretty disappointed in Typhon himself. (He looks awesome though) A lot of the times he seems really buggy. He'll just stand there doing nothing for 8-10 seconds sometimes while I pepper him with arrows. Sometimes he'll repeatedly do his fire breath at me from far enough away that it doesn't even reach me.

It seems the way it is now is he uses an attack based on whatever statue he's near. What I think they should do is, make it so he can use any of the attacks that the statues can give him, from anywhere on the map. That might actually make people want to try and kill at least one of the statues, as it is they can be pretty much ignored now since you can just keep him near the south statue and simply dodge the meteors. I know if he started doing that lifesteal attack on a regular basis I would at least want to start taking out that Hades statue..

redheadedfreak
07-06-2006, 02:35 AM
I take out the Hades statue because I can do it in about 2 seconds with my Storm guy while my Liche distracts Typhon, then he gets it in about 10-15 seconds.

Fyren
07-06-2006, 02:47 AM
I don't know.

Been farming Epic typhon and he dropped 3 of the same legendary caster items.

My runs take a bit longer ( 4-5 minutes?) but I usually use 1 potion, so its not too bad profit wise.

Mazuli
07-06-2006, 07:58 AM
From what I've gathered, Typhon will only melee and fire breath unless any of the statues are harmed. If you attack the hades statue, he'll summon skeletons. If you hit the north statue (the green one), he'll use a poison attack. If you hit the blue one on the right, he'll use some lightning. If you hit the yellow one on the bottom, he'll summon meteors. I'm not sure which triggers the energy drain. I think any of them trigger the life drain, and I haven't noticed if killing the statues does anything since I once killed all 4 statues and he still used the special attacks.

I always pull him up to the far northwest corner next to the shrine and fight him there, away from any statues.

Billmaan
07-06-2006, 08:14 AM
I actually tend to fight him by the regeneration shrine; that way I can be lazy, and just take the hits.

Neat trick: if you're right up in his face, he'll still use the fire breath attack, but it won't hit you.

Hellspawn
07-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Well I've beat epic Typhon like 30-40 times in a row now, not 1 legendary. Is everyone finding legendaries on epic Typhon? How often?

And I am noticing dubes as well, keep finding the same epic shield over and over... something is weird with this.

partyboy
07-07-2006, 06:32 AM
generally i get at least one legendary off typhon every couple attempts, but there will be occasions where i wont get anything but a yellow for 10+ tries in a row.

and yeah, dupes are common. when i'm getting 1-3 legendaries every couple tries, it's usually a cycle of the same 5-8 legendaries or so.