PDA

View Full Version : A question from a beginner.

Dogbert
07-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Hello boys and girls!

I just got the game today so now i was wondering if there are any experienced people here who can help a newbie like me to get started?

What is the best charachter to start with if you are new to the game?
It would be good to start out with an easy to play charachter to get into the game better. But i don't want to play something that is utterly useless later on in the game or on a higher difficulty setting.

Warefare or defender looks like something that is moderately easy to play but then i read in these forums that they are pretty hard to play on legendary or epic compared to others. Also read that hunters struggle early in the game which does not sound too good to me.
Rouges have trouble when up against mobs?
Casters?

Nah, i'm very lost here. You gotta help me out here :)

Sein_Schatten
07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
would you rather play something that goes against your playstyle only because its the build of the month?

i suggest you level up to 2 and then look through all masteries. look what skills they have and what you like. then choose it. thats how i did it. :D powergame guides are for pussies. :P

Unactuality
07-05-2006, 12:05 PM
You didn't really give us much to go on there, Dogbert. Are you looking for a rundown of all 28 classes?

None of the classes will have a huge amount of trouble in Normal. Pick what you want to play, then after you have some experience with the game you'll be in a better position to test out builds.

Mivo
07-05-2006, 12:17 PM
And keep in mind that you can reclaim skill points, so don't be afraid of trying out skills you may not wish to keep, Note that once a mastery is chosen, this cannot be undone.

twylight
07-05-2006, 12:22 PM
normal is more like the tutorial when you try out epic mode.

My first guy rocked normal - took me 4 hours to kill the gorgons in epic =/ I rerolled.

I would play something that sounds fun, reroll to something else later when you have beaten normal if you dont like it.

Schlunz
07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm level 9 and chose spirit, because it sounded fun and I like to play non-melee chars of the necromancer type. So far it is really easy - I think you can really pick whatever sounds cool to you. You won't start the super-perfect char at very first start of the game anyway. And would you really want that?

Dogbert
07-05-2006, 03:20 PM
normal is more like the tutorial when you try out epic mode.

My first guy rocked normal - took me 4 hours to kill the gorgons in epic =/ I rerolled.

I would play something that sounds fun, reroll to something else later when you have beaten normal if you dont like it.

That's about what i mean.
I wanna get right into the game and not waste time :P
I'm not looking for something that takes 4 hours to kill something :)

None of the classes will have a huge amount of trouble in Normal. Pick what you want to play, then after you have some experience with the game you'll be in a better position to test out builds.

I know what you mean but can't you help me out here by telling me of something that works quite well even after normal?

would you rather play something that goes against your playstyle only because its the build of the month?

I don't really know what my playstyle is to be honest but well yes i want something like build of the month then i guess :)

So all in all like that guy twylight said. I don't wanna have to 'reroll' because my charachter isn't working. I'm sure some of you guys have successfull builds you want to share :)

Thank you all. Keep posting your ideas.

Sapphire
07-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Well keep in mind that the developers may do some balancing in a future patch that may make your flavor of the month class into last month's flavor.

Just read the boards and read the manual to see what skills you can get then play something that sounds like fun based on that knowledge.

-Smoke_
07-05-2006, 04:00 PM
I wanna get right into the game and not waste time :P

Dogbert, jump into the game, and pick your poison. I don't understand how you can enjoy your game with everyone telling you what to use. First start out, then decide if you want a spellcaster or fighter, then look over the options and go from there. There are many combos talked about on this forum, so read up.
Don't waste no more time, get in the game!!!! :rockon:

Don't worry if you don't pick the flava of da month, you can learn what you like, then start a new character later.

Good Luck!

UnsocialEntity
07-05-2006, 04:05 PM
If you want easy, pick something with pets. Nature/Earth/Spirit, and just pair it up with whatever you want. Or even pair them up with themselves. I find summoner (Nature/Earth) is rocking even through epic. To compare with the other poster, I destroyed the epic gorgons in maybe 30 seconds, taking no damage because the core dweller tanked the whole time.

Dogbert
07-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.
I think i try nature/earth as was mentioned UnsocialEntity.

Hope it's beginner friendly enough for me :)