PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend

EFG
07-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Good book or best book?

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl0/1/17779/03_2008/031286504X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Boombaye
07-22-2008, 02:07 PM
First reply, w000000t !

I prefer to watch the movie versions of these things.

All the knowledge of the book in less than 3 hours.

ClosetChemist
07-22-2008, 03:25 PM
First reply, w000000t !

I prefer to watch the movie versions of these things.

All the knowledge of the book in less than 3 hours.

Movies never contain all the knowledge in a good book. There is no way to cover it all in the time allotted.

ward_rb
07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Movies never contain all the knowledge in a good book. There is no way to cover it all in the time allotted.

agreed. ive never seen a movie that was better than the book it was based on, and i highly doubt i ever will.

EFG
07-23-2008, 05:55 PM
This movie strayed quite far from the book in many ways. They were both great pieces of entertainment, but the movie was loosely based on the book at best.

My advice: read the book, then decide how well it translated.

minisav
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Tbh the first 3 Harry Potter's were a good effort.

Then Rowling started writing 400+ pages in her books and it's made it impossible to fit everything in

fishinfool
07-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Tbh the first 3 Harry Potter's were a good effort.

Then Rowling started writing 400+ pages in her books and it's made it impossible to fit everything in

How did you get to Harry Potter books from the I Am Legend book? You better stop smoking that crap minisav or it will stunt your growth. :lol:

minisav
07-24-2008, 07:13 AM
agreed. ive never seen a movie that was better than the book it was based on, and i highly doubt i ever will.

That's where!

ward_rb
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
That's where!

ive tried watching the first two harry potter movies, but they were so bad (imo) that i just had to stop watching before i threw something through my tv screen. if they are better than the books as you say, i really cant imagine how the books became so popular.

ClosetChemist
07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
I've watched the Harry Potter movies (but never paid to see them - I borrow the DVDs from my nieces & nephew). There ok, but I have never had the urge to watch them again or to read the books.

The answer to ward_rb's question: They became so popular because the target audience is not very discriminating. While I'm definitely in favor of any books that get kids reading, I hope they progress to better literature as they get older.

Oh, and I suppose someone should make at least one on-topic comment in the thread.:lol:

I have never read the book nor seen the three movies based on it so I really cannot comment on how good it is. (The movies are: The Last Man on Earth [1964], The Omega Man [1971], I am Legend [2007]. Apparently all of the movies deviate significantly form the book.) I really have a problem with labelling any book as the "best book" however. There are so many different criteria that can be used for comparing books and it is always very, very subjective.

ward_rb
07-24-2008, 01:46 PM
The answer to ward_rb's question: They became so popular because the target audience is not very discriminating. While I'm definitely in favor of any books that get kids reading, I hope they progress to better literature as they get older.

oh, no doubt im in favor of books that get kids to read. i was just trying to say that i thought the movies were horrible, yet minisav claims they were better than the books....so i would probably really hate the books if thats true.

and its not just kids that are obsessed with harry potter. when the last book came out, at least 3 girls i work with (18-24) and two adults (40+) could not stop talking about it for weeks on end.

Venger
07-24-2008, 02:11 PM
I would say IMHO that The Last Man on Earth [1964] deviates the least from the original material. I have read the book and I have seen all the movies based on it. The book (novella really, as it is not all that long) was awesome.

I Am Legend and Omega Man were still cool movies though.

minisav
07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
I wasn't claiming the movies were better just a very good portrayal and IMO almost exactly the same as the books and I said they were a good effort meaning they came close to being as good or better than the books.

Never base anything in Harry Potter on the 2nd and 5th books. Terrible IMO.

ClosetChemist
07-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I would say IMHO that The Last Man on Earth [1964] deviates the least from the original material. I have read the book and I have seen all the movies based on it. The book (novella really, as it is not all that long) was awesome.

I Am Legend and Omega Man were still cool movies though.

From what I've read, the author of the book actually wrote the first draft of the screenplay for the first movie, but severed his connection with the project after he disagreed about some of the rewrites. The later movies eliminated the vampire theme of the originial, keeping only minor vapire related details like sensitivity to light.

EFG
07-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Yeah I think he wrote some sort of screenplay but then he wanted it to be credited to a fake name (or whatever they call it. Just because you are involved in entertainment doesn't mean we have to refer to your fake name with a fancy term like "pen name" or "stage name").

Venger
07-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Of course I enjoy anything starring Vincent Price. I think he was perfect for horror movies.

ClosetChemist
07-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Of course I enjoy anything starring Vincent Price. I think he was perfect for horror movies.

A lot of Vincent Price's movies were real losers - if anyone other than Vincent Price was in them. The man was amazing.

Alek_tq
10-09-2008, 04:42 PM
I bought the book (I am Legend) two days ago and I completed it this morning. All I have to say is that I really loved it. Richard Matheson really did great job.

And no, the movie is far away from the book. Starting from the Robert (main character) who is, in fact, half German/American, blue long hair, beard, drunk, fat, tall, truly like the last man on earth. He never had a dog, but did find one, that died before Robert managed to become friendly with him. Also, on the end of the book, humans disapear, the new order, vampires that have high intellectual power (once humans), vampires that learned to stay out on sun light, to kill other, dumb vampires and started to organize themselves and try to take over the control. While we are vampires, there was no word about it in the movie, in the movie, the bad guys were actually infected humans ~ zombies. At the end, Robert dies as, in his belief, the last human, he became not normal, unusual, the parasite, the legend. The book is more then 10 times better than the movie. I enjoyed it.

The part I liked the most is when he went to his wife's grave. He said: "I use to think that birds are singing because everything is alright. Now I know they're brainless..." And the end of the book is really a huge surprise, I had some guesses about it, but I didn't want to spoil it, and I was really shocked by the way it ended.

I would like to read something similar to this.

ps. Roland, if you read this (I know you are a fan of Supernatural TV show), I think there is a book about it, who wrote it, whats it called? Thanks.