PDA

View Full Version : Bestiary - well balanced?

i.n.s.a.n.e
05-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Hey guyz,

I was just wondering if there is someone playing this mastery?

Is it well balanced? Something overpowered there? Anything? Pets are always hard to balance...

Thanks!

The Rock-man
05-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Dunno about these haven't got they far with my beastmaster, might be a good idea to say where/when you think they should be balanced?

i.n.s.a.n.e
05-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Dunno about these haven't got they far with my beastmaster, might be a good idea to say where/when you think they should be balanced?

Damage, Hit points for each difficulty (throughout all ACTs), etc. :shifty:

Mr. Scetch
05-13-2008, 08:11 AM
The Pal Patines attack speed is too low imo.

I'd prefer have it attack faster, but deal less damage.

Hyperion˛
05-14-2008, 04:39 AM
I'm playing bestiary in normal difficulty; some hints:
- stallion deals a lot of dmg, has a relly good aggressivee AI, but is really weak; hp are perfect, but i think he needs some fixes on DA, resistances, etc...
- some recharges are really too long, ie ninja turtle and pal patine
- the healing spell is just too weak, it is good only for normal difficulty -when you don't have skills and equip to spend there some points-; for legendary, with higher hp on pets, even maxed is preatty useless. I think it has to be scaled to reach more hp; but when you have 10 or more pets, healing one by one is a bit hard, and consider also iaso's regeneration spell (that now works quite well compared to 1.00)

Abysmal
05-14-2008, 10:08 AM
The healing spell can be cast not only on your pets and allies, but also on your character, which makes it a really powerful spell. Was it intended to work that way?

Due to some strange bug with my installation of the game, the pets decided not to upgrade on higher difficulty levels, remaining as weak as they used to be on "normal" difficulty, so i can't say much about health/damage balancing on epic and legendary levels... but that's not a bug of the mod.

Pal Patines are perfect. They have normal health and really high damage, but the best part of them is their behavior. They are perfect for crowd control and they somehow manage to actively use two skills (unlike Iaso, which almost never uses his healing skill).

Iaso was almost useless for me. It is extremely passive about using any skills - it once took him nearly 15 minutes to cast his primary regeneration buff, he casts his damage resistance buff quite often, but not always (unlike the wisp from storm mastery which provided you with an almost permanent buff during every battle). And Iaso almost never uses his healing spell - and it could have become a very useful supporting pet if it could spam his healing spell the way spirit soldiers in act 4 do (Maybe it's possible to set healing as it's primary skill and make the buff a secondary skill?). Also, although Iaso is not aggressive, it somehow manages to get killed very often - i have no idea why... the enemies just approach my group, and the first creature of my group to be attacked by them often turns out to be Iaso (And I also had 5 demons from demonic phalanx and 2 patines, that are much more aggressive than poor Iaso)

The horse is an interesting pet, extremely aggressive, a berserk pet. But due to it's aggressiveness it gets a lot of damage and dies a lot. I suggest reducing the recharge of this pet, because other pets, that live much longer thanks to being less aggressive, have even lower recharges and can usually be recast immediately after their death.

Demonic Phalanx - these demons are quite good... as a living shield and distraction for large crouds of enemies. I suppose, making their recharge a bit higher won't be bad, but i'm not sure about this. They also tend to attack enemies that are so far away, that you can't even see them with the highest zooming out (with camera mod). I'm not sure why they do so, but it can often be dangerous - attracting attention of a full pack of deathlancers or several high wardens is bad for your health.

Also: I was using bestiary as a secondary mastery with sorcery as a primary one, so the character was mainly a sorcerer, with lots of skillpoints invested in sorcery and much less in bestiary.

Mr. Scetch
05-14-2008, 11:22 AM
The horse gains too little HP per level imo.

i.n.s.a.n.e
05-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Hi there,

Thanks very much guyz!!! :rockon:

I knew there will be some issues...so, keep them coming! :headbang:

This is gonna be fixed in 1.04 though.

PS: Healing spell is intended to work like that. Spammable but lower gain.

I agree with Abysmal about Pal Patines.

Iaso, yeah, yeah...Iaso...it is PinkFrog's pain in the a*s... :)

We will tweak the recharges, maybe increase the DA of the horse...and change some aggro radiuses...

Sova
05-15-2008, 02:43 AM
The Pal Patines, at least for me very rarely use it's synergy (that bluish cloud thingie :)) Sometimes 15-20 minutes passes until it uses it...
However it's lightning bolt is just great!

The Rock-man
05-15-2008, 06:13 AM
I think Iaso problem is the way his/her/its skills work, because it targets it self it means the heals is not casted unless the poor thing is hit.

Hyperion˛
05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
The ninja turtles is just too weak: besides the dmg retaliation i would like to have dmg absorbption that scales with lvl, from 15% to xx% (50? 60? 70? he is in the tank pet tree...).

Fatesadvent
05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
The horse gains very little hp per turn, it gets killed in like 2 hits in act 4 normal (making it quite hard to get to epic and see the scaling bonus). I havent tried the other pets much, but I'm guessing my only other damage options are that flower and the demon phalanx. I like the pal patine, I would also prefer weaker but faster but I can live with this.

I agree with lowering some of the recharge times (turtle especially) but overall I think making most of the pets a little bit stronger (i speak only for normal) would be nice.

i.n.s.a.n.e
05-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Keep this thread updated guyz, I like the ideas!! :rockon:

Xenophon
06-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Well, now I played act 1 - 3 three times on normal difficulty with Bestiary.

Congratulations, I think you made a strong and interesting mastery there. Every time I ran through the game, I liked it more and more.

This is what I think about the skills I tested (version 1.03):

Big Chelydra:
I ve tested the turtle with capped level and the turtle does a nice job and its cute, it takes less damage than the stallion but due to "provoke" it dies alot, letting people think its weak.
Being the Tier1-Pet it shouldnt be too powerfull, it just eats up to many skillpoints (16/8 ingame, although the main site says 16/10).
I suggest halve the skillpoints it needs to be capped (8/8) and reduce the recast time (maybe 40%).
Id also prefer it to have a mod like stoneskin rather than damage retaliation. "The turtle retreats into her shell, making it immune to all attacks for 6 seconds"

The Swarm:
O yezzz, thats a great spell. Nice idea, looks good and does an absolute great job. Wear rings that add elemental and vital damage to their base poison damage, making this a very powerfull spell, Typhoon gets eaten alive by them (on normal). If I ever start again with Bestiary, I ll call the char "Lord of the flies" heheh.
This spell could be slightly nerfed, damagewise, but I wouldnt mind if it stayed the way it is. It will be alot weaker in epic and legendary.

Pal Patine:
Perfect pet. :clap: They use all their spells, do nice damage. No nerf needed too, if they get hit, they are dead most likely and the spell has a long reload time.

The Birds:
Not really tested, because the Swarm has a shorter reload.

Word of Comfort:
This is a heal spell which is weaker than the one Mysticism has. Its ok in normal difficulty, having a strong heal spell is only needed if u use tank pets, the other pets are ok with Iaso's regeneration buff. You can take mysticism for the better heal.
I guess in epic and legendary this spell wont do much anymore tho, could be changed to give about 60-70% of the pets hitpoints back, more levels give faster reload.

Sty:
Ill have to test this skill more, could be pretty imba (with sorcery f.e.), as you can easily reach the -100% reload time. ^^

The Beetles:
Great pets again. Leave them as they are.

Suicidal :D Seagulls:
Its a good damage spell. Funny too. Nothing wrong here.

Demonic Phalanx :
I really underestimated those in my first 2 runs, thought the loadtime of their lightning spell is too long etc, but they are a great watch, using regularly their spell if u let them. They will die alot, but obviously they dont mind, and in their daemonic realm, they tell funny little stories about their adventures with me, so I never have problems to find 4 other drugged, crazy little f******. :P

Call for Iaso:
People seem to have problems to get the regeneration buff working. Put her on agressive behavior, this makes her cast it pretty soon. Her heals are nice but u cannot be sure if she will cast it or not, so we have her for the pretty regeneration in the team. Id open her mod Animalistic Resilience only with one point, cause she rarely uses it, when the regeneration is up. Befor she casts the regen buff she often uses it, maybe 3 spells are to much for her :P

Aggressive Beast:
A must-have-skill. No changes needed here.

Flaming Stallion:
Like the turtle this pet dies alot and the spell has a high reload time. It cant do much tanking, but it does nice damage and we love mean horses, dont we?
I suggest reduce the reload time by 30% and maybe add some resistances and/or hitpoints.

Selene:
Nice pet again. I ve capped her after Changan, so I didnt see much action from them, but she was nice so far.

Flowerpower:
Not really tested, short attack radius for the main attack and stationary, we have better options.

All in all I loved it to play with Bestiary. For normal difficulty, I suggest to pick two or three pets and max them, this works alot better than using all of them lowlevel. The turtle and the horse dont do very well atm, the other pets are all good.

If I get the time Ill keep playin on Epic and Legendary too. Keep it up.

dazcox
10-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm on the cliffs fighting scorpion-men with a whole lot of pets and think it's the finest TQ game I've ever played!

I maxed out the swarm early and it's been very helpful.

For the first time I beat those archeologists/thieves too!

The Masteries version is far far superior to the early Lilith, I found that one just too damn hard. This is just right, I have the fun of many pets with just enough of a chance to die in a new area.

I generally experience a moment or two of heart beating near death each boss fight, but rarely have died and this makes me think the game is quite well balanced.

There seems to be far fewer blue/purple items dropped in Masteries than in TQIT. It took me ten levels to find my first green item and I left no stone unturned!!!

So far I am loving the bestiary!!!!

i.n.s.a.n.e
10-30-2008, 02:52 AM
I'm on the cliffs fighting scorpion-men with a whole lot of pets and think it's the finest TQ game I've ever played!

I maxed out the swarm early and it's been very helpful.

For the first time I beat those archeologists/thieves too!

The Masteries version is far far superior to the early Lilith, I found that one just too damn hard. This is just right, I have the fun of many pets with just enough of a chance to die in a new area.

I generally experience a moment or two of heart beating near death each boss fight, but rarely have died and this makes me think the game is quite well balanced.

There seems to be far fewer blue/purple items dropped in Masteries than in TQIT. It took me ten levels to find my first green item and I left no stone unturned!!!

So far I am loving the bestiary!!!!

Hi,

Good to hear you are enjoying the mod. :happy:

About the drops, as far as I am aware, the mod does not change anything concerning drop rates. :)

dazcox
10-30-2008, 09:43 AM
http://99daz.com/dazcox/wp-content/uploads/dazz2tamerlev21.JPG
Here's Dazz2 the Tamer, level 21 with the best looking and useful torso armor I've seen in the game so far!

yerkyerk
10-30-2008, 10:58 AM
For my little playtime;

Swarm - overpowered early on. They hardly die and they do a lot of damage. I've heard that they suck again in Epic and Legendary, but can't say anything useful about that.

Big Chelydra
Sucky turtle thing that dies all the time on me. The description is even wierder; it has spikes that attracts enemies?! Now why would enemies be attracted to spikes? Oh well, I've never invested points in it as it already died easy early on in the game and it doesn't really contribute much to the battle.

Word of Comfort: Complete and utter useless spell. You have a whole bandwagon of pets and the spell hardly does any good healing. It should probably be completely revised - as a temporary increased health regen for all pets within a certain area or something. I dunno. As it is now, it's a crap skill.

Beetles seem ok, the Demonic Phalanx gives too big a return, I think, for the first point. Perhaps build up the level of imps you get instead of giving 4 of them at the start?

Didn't try birds really - seagulls look funny, didn't play too much with Iaso yet.

i.n.s.a.n.e
10-31-2008, 03:24 AM
Big Chelydra
Sucky turtle thing that dies all the time on me. The description is even wierder; it has spikes that attracts enemies?! Now why would enemies be attracted to spikes? Oh well, I've never invested points in it as it already died easy early on in the game and it doesn't really contribute much to the battle.

Hey,

Those are not just spikes! Those are SHINY SPIKES!! :lol:

Word of Comfort: Complete and utter useless spell. You have a whole bandwagon of pets and the spell hardly does any good healing. It should probably be completely revised - as a temporary increased health regen for all pets within a certain area or something. I dunno. As it is now, it's a crap skill.

Word of Comfort was meant to be spammable healing spell (well, I told PinkFrog we should boost it. :)).

Didn't try birds really - seagulls look funny, didn't play too much with Iaso yet.

Hitchko's favourite! You should. ;)

lordasriel
01-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Bestiary is an awesome class =) love it have a lvl 22 char on lilith and her pets pawns good at the moment.

you should fix the aggressiv pet skill description :P
i love the patine with its good stun spells :D
the beetles are no good without its buggy wave :P at the moment the buggy wave is almost to good :P lvl 4 is like 300? dmg :D

Rainydays1981
10-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Just tried this mod with the xmax, x10 enemies. With all 11 permanent pets its like a traveling steam roller :) I love it