PDA

View Full Version : [Thane] lvl61 and no clue...

McGyverForTehWin
04-15-2008, 06:28 PM
...what to do next. Here's my build:

lvl61 Thane (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Thane&master1=8&master2=3&sa=14&m1=32-0-10-0-0-8-0-0-12-0-0-0-6-0-0-0-1-1-0-8-0-0&m2=32-6-1-8-6-8-6-9-6-0-4-0-6-6-0-0-0-5-6-6-0-0)

And before you start raving about Storm Nimbus, read this: Storm Nimbus unravelled (http://www.titanquest.net/forums/storm/22678-thane-storm-nimbus.html)

"So what's the problem? Seems fine to me..."

Yeah, it's no problem of the "I'm getting pwnd by [insert-lowlife-moster-here]" -kind but rather the reverse. I'm at Legendary Act I and one-shoting anything short of the Hydra (which gets it in about 10 seconds) but I'm not really using the Storm skills much.

"Just you wait until..."

...Machae Archers, yeah I know. But Squall is 18 points, Storm Surge is just for larks and the Storm Nimbus tree is pretty shaky. I heard good things about the Spell Breaker tree but was unable to comprehend why, I tested it out and aside from bosses loosing mana ("Oh noes! Not my precious mana!") nothing happened. Even with Spell Chock maxed no HP was lost on their account.

Basically I'm all about the Warfare tree but I'm running out of places to put the points and I would like to, being a Thane, use Storm some more. Thunderball? Ice Shard? I don't know.

Suggestions?

Equipment-wise it goes like this:

Sapros, Sabretooth, Blood of Ares, Mantle of Sa'jun, Ares' War Helm, Athena's Battle Greaves, Stonebinders, Eurodyces Weddingband, Apollos Will and a green amulet with +24% Str, +15 Str, +11% HP, +10% Damage, +15% AS although it's getting replaced for Pendant of Immortal Rage as soon as I loot it.

nemhauser
04-16-2008, 05:42 AM
i have paladin so my damage output is lesser than yours. i have squall on RMB and use it frequently (rush into mobs, cast squall under my feet and hack&slash the monsters)

having SAPROS you don't need it that much as i do.

--
spell shock is about skill disruption - it works mostly on bosses (didn't see any big effect on normal mobs).

--
ice shards won't be a good solution for you. you already can kill monsters easily... and the shards will not have so much power because you're not pumping intelligence (that much)

--
storm nimbus is fine if you already have some lightning damage, i.e. : Thunderbolt (http://gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/banshee_search.pl?_layout=TitanQuest_Items_Page&_cgifunction=search&TitanQuest_Items.id=1758)

HainusVII
04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Yeah i have a Lvl 52 thane and mainly use the Warfare tree, I Dual Wield 2 Folgs (they have Thunderclap) and use Storm Nimbus (with the lightning skills), Storm Surge, and use Squall frequently with the RMB.

oddyseuss
05-02-2008, 09:29 AM
get squall. i have nearly maxed out all its synergies and it kicks ************************************************** ************************************

CAP007
05-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Well I like warwind for a Thane. It is a great way to rapidly close the range, just like shield charge. Since you obviously are going the melee route.

oddyseuss
05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
melee for storm isn't the greatest idea as when you upgrade you intelligence not strength or dexterity

CAP007
05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Agreed but McGyver's Thane is Melee focused, has really built up the Warfare side and by the way if you opened up his build you would see he already has maxed Squall

oddyseuss
05-03-2008, 01:36 AM
true but still he should work on storm. He should get lightnign and thunderball

nemhauser
05-03-2008, 04:48 AM
lightning? what for? he can one shot already, besides - he does not have much INT nor +%lightning/elemental damage gear so even if he maxes that part of the tree - it will not be anything special. only for fun

thunderball - only if he has problems with monsters and needs to stun some of them, which he clearly does not have to... and for him the war horn is better in that case

oddyseuss
05-03-2008, 10:47 AM
yeah so what would he use storm for anyway? summoning wisps?

mamba
05-03-2008, 11:30 AM
yeah so what would he use storm for anyway? summoning wisps?

imo Storm is the worst possible mastery for a meleer. So what does he use Storm for ? Nothing.

Personally I'd go with Squall and Thunderball, 1 point in Storm Surge (for the stun) and no points whatsoever in the Wisp, Lightning or any of the other skills.
Yes, that is also why I would stay away from Storm meleers ;)

oddyseuss
05-03-2008, 11:32 AM
but that makes Thane a very complicated mastery. being a caster virtually ignores warfare but going melee is very difficult

mamba
05-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Not complicated, just bad ;)

As I said, I would advise against ever using Storm with a meleer, it is the least suitable mastery. Oh, and imo melee is far easier than caster, but I am talking about decent builds here, not some failures like Thanes.

oddyseuss
05-04-2008, 12:16 PM
i think the fact that you can blend every mastery caused some problems.

nemhauser
05-04-2008, 12:25 PM
not problems but difficulties :-)

all combinations are allowed and that's good. someone wants a challenge? he/she picks a hybrid or some other unconventional character

mamba
05-04-2008, 12:29 PM
i think the fact that you can blend every mastery caused some problems.

What would be the alternative ? To restrict the possible combinations, so certain masteries cannot be chosen together.

I prefer it the way it is, leave it to the player to decide which masteries he wants to combine. Of course, some combinations are better than others, just like some skills are better than others. Nothing wrong with that.

McGyverForTehWin
05-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow. I am simply amazed at how this discussion took off without me, but please, let me clear up a few misconceptions:

1) My Thane is melee through and through. That means I don't even go near Int and I don't even consider massive spell-casting.

2) Contrary to belief, Thanes rock hard. During Normal the Storm Nimbus pwns pretty much anything and for the most of Epic you can Squall most mobs to death with ease. A Thane is invulnerable to ranged attacks and under a Squall Sky, enemies don't hit that hard if at all - Storm Surge makes for a mean stun.

The problem is that the above stated Storm skills are pretty much it. The Wisp makes for a decent companion as it buffs the lightning and cold damage and adds to the same resistances (plus Thunderclap at lvl5) but it's not much for all the points spent. What I'm looking for is a hidden gem, a skill I've ignored but one which is really useful.

BTW: I've added War Wind (die archers, die!) and Crushing Blow (as I have +6 to that skill :rockon: ) and maxed out War Horn meaning that Thunderball is out of the question. Also I've got Immortal Rage and mark of Ares
And sure, there are better choices for Warfare - Dream or Defence are proven way better but Thanes have an undeserved bad rep.

nemhauser
05-05-2008, 04:53 AM
how is the war wind working for you?

it looks nice, has cool speed boost but the damage is not there, at least in my case (legendary sabertooth and onager, so not the highest damage dealers, but still)

McGyverForTehWin
05-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Well, I only use it for its ability to hit multiple targets and speedhit ranged mobs but the damage is OK. At lvl 5 (thank the gods for SBC!) it's -5% physical but I suspect that even at lvl12 (8 + 4) it's only +30 physical. Exactly how Sapros adds to the equation I'm unsure of but it's more of a boss killer anyway.

Still, archers beware!

Oh and BTW: Why Onager? It's low damage and the regen isn't all that good either. What class/level are you and where?

nemhauser
05-05-2008, 07:29 AM
i'm a slayer (warfare + hunting), level 57 (already killed hades)

in one hand legendary sabertooth with attack damage to health and in the second hand - onager

i equipped the onager on the first occasion i could, which was level 37. at first i wanted the +22 mana regen so i could war wind all the time (no recharge gear, but the cooldown is very short on that skill imho) without the need of drinking potions.

the health regen was not concerning me at all.

during my play i've noticed one interesting thing - almost every monster was getting stunned when i was smacking him. i started noticing that somewhere in legendary act3 (tigermans probably) - i'm surrounded by 4-6 monsters and they are all "sleeping" and not attacking me back :-)

i've rechecked my equipment to see what causes it and to my astonishment i found out that it was the onager. all the time i loved that weapon for all the wrong reasons :-)

30% Chance of:
27-36 Vitality Decay Over 3 Seconds
1-4 Seconds of Stun
42% Slower Movement For 6 Seconds

30% chance to stun, if i dual wield it makes 15% (right?) so, not that much... but with high attack speed it really is enough.

don't know why (maybe i'm lucky) when i use war wind - most of the monsters are getting stunned.

--

other interesting thing on that slayer is the attack damage converted to health.. i have around 40-45% (20 necklace, 13 artifact, some on weapon) and frankly - that was enough for me to not buy any potions at all (mana - onager, health - adcth). i saw my health dropping (especially in act 4) but i managed to replenish it faster.

my dps is around 2500 (3500 with onslaugh) and i really don't complain - it's enough for my build :-)

edit: and forgot my follow up question - is the war wind killing all the surrounding mobs or it only damages them and you have to kill them off anyway?

Thorien Kell
05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
BTW: I've added War Wind (die archers, die!) and Crushing Blow (as I have +6 to that skill :rockon: ) and maxed out War Horn meaning that Thunderball is out of the question.

I would still go with thunderball. Stun is always good. War horn has long recharge time. This way you could stun -all- monster groups you encounter, not just difficult ones like you do now. And, if necessary, you could stun the entire screen with both spells. Yeah. The king of stun. Why not.

Besides, seems that you don't have much choice.

CAP007
05-05-2008, 10:03 AM
King of stun is fun, Paladin best class for the title of "Stun King" Thane being a close second. Personaly I really like the Hybrid characters. In my opnion they are the funest to play and the funest to watch. I do tend to lean heavy on the Melee side for my Paladin, Thane, Juggernaut etc builds... Any one haveing fun and finshing on the casting side ?

Thorien Kell
05-06-2008, 02:49 AM
edit: and forgot my follow up question - is the war wind killing all the surrounding mobs or it only damages them and you have to kill them off anyway?

For me it is. I have lvl 45 harbinger, but he's seriously sponsored (thanx to my warden mostly) and has really decent equipment like aphrodite's favor, phobos, armor of achiles, coven nex ... he has simmilar damage output as your toon but he's still in epic act III. And that's the reason i havent go with phatntom strike on RMB yet - just don't need it for now.

McGyverForTehWin
05-06-2008, 03:09 AM
I've done some experimenting (not with Thunderball mind you) and came up with a rather annoying answer:

It depends on the mob

Basically there are three cases:
1) The mob disintegrates and corpses are flying
2) The mob is decimated to half its size and the rest are dying from residual damage
3) The mob is wounded but still fighting

It's simply down to monster type: Tough crowds like Yetis don't go down that easy while Euronymuses (or something) flies all over the place. I've concluded that Sapros isn't all that effective when using War Wind but it does'nt matter much as the mod is either dead or "Saprosed" in which case you can leech.

Anyway, I'll try Thunderball soon enough and maybe it'll turn out great. It certainly did for my Oracle.